Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally managed to get new brake pads all-round after the warning light came on about 2months back.

But after having them fitted the warning light still comes on?!?!

The garage said you might need to take it to a vw dealer to get light resetted/switched off?!?! (which will cost he said).

Can anyone help?? shouldnt the light have gone off once new pads were fitted?? Does it need to go to vw??

Cheers guys [y] [y]

·
Registered
593 Posts
My brake pad warning light comes on all the time, even though my pads are fine. It's a faulty sensor which can sometimes be pushed back into place or you will need a new one. That is of course after you have checked your pads have sensors as Deeply_dippy wrote.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I presume you mean the brake pad low light?

If so this should go out aslong as you've fitted new pads with sensors built in
Yep its the brake pad low light..

I had brand new pads fitted on all corners today, but light is still on.

Does this mean the new pads does not have sensors in them?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My brake pad warning light comes on all the time, even though my pads are fine. It's a faulty sensor which can sometimes be pushed back into place or you will need a new one. That is of course after you have checked your pads have sensors as Deeply_dippy wrote.
Thanks, but how do you know if the pads have sensors in them?

Damn!! thought I sorted the problem with new pads all round...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I had the same prob: Light coming in on when everything was fitted
properly. I just turned the light off! (thanks Adi Nuff Valves!)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same prob: Light coming in on when everything was fitted properly. I just turned the light off! (thanks Adi Nuff Valves!)
How you turn the light off then? you need vag-com?

This light is starting to p*ss me off!

[y] cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to get rid of this brake warning light??

PLEASE???????? ANYONE?????????? [:D]

Can vw turn light off maybe??

Thanks guys [y]

·
Registered
571 Posts
You need VAG-COM to switch the light off.

As mentioned above though, check that everything is fitted properly. Might need a trip to a shop though (not necessarily a dealer).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got them fitted at 'WILCO MOTO SAVE' but they told me that the stealer can turn light off for a fee...

is this true?

I knew I should have taken it to the stealers in the first place!!!!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You would know if the pads have sensors 'cos you need to physically connect the sensors.....

They're a bum outfit if they don't know how to 'fool' the sensor into thinking the pads are OK. Basically you take the sensor connector and cable from the old pads and connect the circuit together so the system thinks all is OK. Don't ask me which ones to connect 'cos the garage that did mine knew exactly what to do. VAG-COM is not needed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
when i fitted my fast road pads the sensor wire that they came fitted with had the wrong end on it i.e male not female (or the other way round cant remember now) so had to re solder the old one on the new pads.

to get round the problem with the light, assuming the brakes have been fitted properly and is just a case of non sensor pads with sensor enabled cars, just simply short the two pins together, the wire that breaks in the pad to put the light on only does it as the pads go low and it breaks the circuit.

hope this helps but more importantly makes sense.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I got them fitted at 'WILCO MOTO SAVE' but they told me that the stealer can turn light off for a fee...

is this true?

I knew I should have taken it to the stealers in the first place!!!!
Can't see your dealer being happy about finishing someone elses job off for them for free to be honest.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
when i fitted my fast road pads the sensor wire that they came fitted with had the wrong end on it i.e male not female (or the other way round cant remember now) so had to re solder the old one on the new pads.

to get round the problem with the light, assuming the brakes have been fitted properly and is just a case of non sensor pads with sensor enabled cars, just simply short the two pins together, the wire that breaks in the pad to put the light on only does it as the pads go low and it breaks the circuit.

Yep thats what i'd do and have done.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

I did the same on mine as I had female and female sockets, so couldnt do anything with them! Snipped the wires on the brake pads and soldered them up, light was off [:)]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi all,

Do the obvious first make sure that the brake disk sensor wire is connected properly, there was only one on my car nearside front.

Then with the drivers door open/closed (cant remember) lock the car with the key, unlock the car and switch on ignition your light should have vanished.

Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have a realised you have taken the wrong sex home with you (heaven forbid) a sex change is in order. Simply snip the connectors off your old and new disc/s and solder the connector off the old discs onto your new ones.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your replies guys [y][y]

But I am useless with wires, soldering or anything mechanical.

Looks like the light will have to stay on then!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts