Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP

I have had my car in at vw today and they have told me I need a new ecu. My current ecu code is 038 906 019FG. They have advised me I now need a 038 998 019A. I have searched for this ecu on net cannot find anything. Can I only replace my ecu with the one they have advised?

The car is a 51 plate GTTDI 130 engine code ASZ. Please help.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your swift response. The car does not pull in 1st and secong gear much and feels like the engine is vibrating.

Also when the car is warming between roughly 30 and 70 degrees the whole engine vibrates and shakes me with it feels like a misfire.

VW said the ecu has broken down with fuel system so not fuelling correctly.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
so you managed it mate[Y] I would suspect that any PD130 ASZ ecu should do the trick. The only thing might be the imobiliser needs reprogramming. But Im not sure if the imobiliser is stored in the cluster instead of the ecu. maybe someone can step in here[surrender]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. I need the verdict to be definite before I go splash out the money. What's worse is vw said ?65/hour then charged me ?150 for one and a half hour, response was it's ?85/ hour even though the paper said ?65.

Anyways if anyone can help further on this I'd really appreciate it and thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The ecu ending with FG was replaced by HJ in early 2002.
The best place to find one is to search in descriptions on eBay. It's a diy job to change but coding needs to be done by either someone on here or by VW although vw really do not like coding old ecu's.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
tell vw to fit an ecu and show you that it will fix it. because i dont believe it will.

because after you spend xxxx amount with them and the problem persists then they will say its now !!!!!

get it scanned elsewhere

danny

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Madman pointed be to an eBay advert which suggested I can use that ecu however vw are advising otherwise. Although I can't find the one they want to sell me on net and they have said it's on back order I presume this means its relatively new? I will try and recreate a table from their diagnostic results below as I can't paste a picture in this field:

Production Change

Optimised software from:
96Kw ASZ MY 03 with manual gearbox data version 5259
110Kw ARL MY 03 with manual gearbox data version 5352

Measure
Fit the control unit according to table below:

Old- 038 906 019FG
New- 038 998 019A
Data version- 5362

Old- 038 906 019HJ
New- manual gearbox/ 4 motion 038 906 019HJ
New- automatic gearbox 038 998 019B
Data version- 5259 5363 (I'm not sure if 1 is auto the other manual)

Old- 038 906 019HH
New- 038 906 019HH
Data version- 5352

Would the above table from their paperwork not suggest aham and madman are correct in that I need a HJ?

Thanks for your help guys. Keep it coming please.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The "A" ecu may well be the newest ecu but the asz engine is only from 2001-2004 ish in the mkiv platform so there are plenty if spare FG and HJ ecu's since there are so many 7-10 year old cars scrapped.
VW honestly don't normally have their hands on an older car like yours so will just want to swap out whatever the computer says.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aham iv personal messaged you my number give me a call now if you can otherwise tomorrow morning. If you are able to call now please hold off five minutes then call. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Taking in to account the software updates that vw did yesterday which I have mentioned above can I still use any ecu unit or do I have to use the one they are saying?

Thanks for all the ongoing help everybody.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
The part number that VW are telling you it needs (038 998 019A) is indeed the correct one. It replaced your part number on 1st of March 2004.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Is that the only ecu I can replace mine with or can I use one of the others like the one ending in HJ or JH if I recall correctly?

Why can I not find anything on the internet about this ecu? I googled it and nothing comes up?

Thanks for your help so far

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Hi,

Is that the only ecu I can replace mine with or can I use one of the
others like the one ending in HJ or JH if I recall correctly?

Why can I not find anything on the internet about this ecu? I googled it and nothing comes up?

Thanks for your help so far
any second hand ECU from a 130 or brand new one needs to be coded into your Golf to make it work

your ECU is FG, you can aslo use HJ, KJ,

make sure its from a Golf / Bora 130 PD, avoid any from a Passat / Audi the mapping is different.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
They may have updated the software on your ecu but that has not helped, if it is the ecu breaking down causing your running problems then even a direct replacement FG will instantly cure all your problems. VW don't have access to old/secondhand ecu's so parts become superseded.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
VW have updated the software on an ecu which they declare as broken so don't worry about software revisions. Even the earliest 130 ecu would work if it is the ecu at fault.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts