Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, hope you can help.

I've just become the owner of a new MK5 GTI in diamond black, and I intend to keep this car looking brand spanking new as much as possible.

I've done a bit of research on this forum and last night went out and bought the following.

Megs Gold Class Shampoo

Megs Gold Class clear liquid wax

Megs Rim Cleaner

Megs Tyre Detailer (something like that)

Sheepskin mitt

Applicator pads

Chamois leather

wheel brush.

So, questions.

Firstly, do I need anything else apart from that to get me started ?

Secondly, should I wax the car whilst its so new or wait a few weeks first.

If I should wax, how often should I do it.

I plan on washing once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks sometimes, if I wax every 2-3 months, would that be ok ?

When would I need to polish or claybar it ?

Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Good to hear you have done some research! some don't!

Firstly, very nice car [;)]

I cant see any problems with waxing it straight away - you will only be protecting the clearcote already on it by the factory and it may make it easier to clean.

I was every other week or so, but thats mostly because I am sad [;)] but do try to wash it every week if possible.

Remember to wax those wheels too, there is a big surface area on those wheels and they are easy to clean - this will be helped with applications of wax. It will also make it harder for the tar / dust to bind and cause errosion.

I would doubt you would need to use a clarbar at this stage, but you may be suprised how much crub there could be on there, but I would not be willing to do that JUST yet.

I know with the clearkote handglaze its very good using on the windows too, not sure about the megs stuff. Wax on windows can either work really well with some stuff and be a nightmare for others! - for me the clearkote is great.

Although you have some megs wax, I would be tempted to buy some clearkote hand glaze if you indend doing a quick job on the car, it really is very easy to use and can be applied to the whole car. Costs a little over 10 pounds for seriousperformance.

Sounds like you also need a micro fibre towel (these are prefect for buffing wax). Serious go a very good one (AG premium purple smaller size) for about 5 pounds. - I recommend it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree with Oxford, get some clearkote hand glaze,its good stuff.

microfibre cloths are fantastic for buffing up to that showroom shine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, helps a lot, just a couple more q's.

Am i right in thinking I use the chamois leather to dry the car after its been washed, and the microfibre towel to dry it after its been waxed ?

Would I use the clearkote hand glaze for a quick wax and use the Megs wax for a "proper" job as it were, or just use the Clearkote whenever I waxed and not use my Megs stuff at all ?

Finally, and excuse my ignorance, but does it make a difference whether the water I use to wash the car is warm or cold ? :)

Oops, one more question, what should I use to clean the plastic grill and the plastic skirting around the car ?

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
How bizzare, oxford was the first to reply [:D]

Sound like a good choice of stuff, just like what I started off with on mine.

As for the cloths, the new mEguiars cloths are very good, you can get 3 for 15 quid now too.

DONT use mEguiars on your windows though, it leaves a nasty film on them, trust me, been there done it [V]

The schedule I would suggest is:

WASH - WEEKLY

WAX - MONTHLY

QUICK DETAILER - WEEKLY (Worth getting as it gives that "just waxed "finish after washing, only 7quid a bottle.

Clay- Do it at the end of summer /start of spring

Enjoy [:)]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Don't use Any ClearKote stuff!!

Only joking,[:D] I've use CK stuff and it is wicked! I'll be using it this weekend for the show therefore I also agree with Oxford!

Happy Detailing[;)]!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yep, try the car fully with the leather?. Apply the wax then with the micro fibre cloth buff the dry wax off? its very easy.

The clearkote is fantastic if used on its own and even better if another wax if applied over it, so when you do a ?proper job? apply the megs wax over it. I have not tried this. I have not tried this combo myself but I am sure it will work. If not get the cab wax from clearkote and use that over the hand glaze.

As for the bumper and exterior plastic, I would be very tempted to use a *small amount of your tyre dressing on a sponge and wipe that on it, however try not to get it on the paint, so be precise.

How that answers your questions!

Oh, I use either hot or cold...... You will always get white marks with hard water its a pain on a black car, but I believe using de-ionsed water cures that. Not tried it myself.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey Jace, just trying to help out! [:)] You know me.

I am no way the master of detailing [;)]

Good luck for the show deadlock!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,

Thanks very much for all your advice, I think thats pretty much answered everything. Lets hope its not gonna rain this week-end !

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 14/04/2005 12:36:28

Hey Jace, just trying to help out! [:)] You know me.

Just pulling your leg, Oh fellow padowan of jedi master squky [:D]

I'm using CK now, used it for the JBS day, quality results too. BTW, have you noticed that rain drops "explode" when they hit the surface, coooooooool or what. That mixed with the rain-x effect, god knows how I havent crashed yet

For the trim theres a good megs item in a red bottle, cant remember the name atm, will check in the boot in a bit.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
squky writes:

- you guys are rubbish your are doing it all wrong. Buy my services [:)]

Just kidding by the way.

I have notice it with CK, never seen anything repell the rain so well! hadly need to use the wipers. Trouble with the CK is that your never satisfied JUST washing it because you know it only takes 30 mins to make the car look new again!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 14/04/2005 14:06:32

squky writes:

- you guys are rubbish, your are doing it all wrong. Buy my services or I'll come unleash the swirl monsters in your paint [B)]

[:D]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
You should always make sure that the paint on a new car is at least 6 weeks old before applying a wax to it. Even though new cars have the paint baked on at the factory it is still curing for upto 6 weeks.

If you apply a wax and the paint's not fully cured then the gases won't be able to escape and you could get what look like water marks in the paint. This is worse on a dark coloured car as it shows up more.

Chances are that your car is newly built and shipped over so is a few weeks old already (do you know the build week?) If your unsure I would just wash it down for the first couploe of weeks of ownership, better safe than sorry.

J.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hows longs a piece of string though mate, I would be impossible to say how long that paint has been on the chassis.

I would say you have the car at the right time of year tho, with all that salt and stuff in the winter on your car not waxing it for a few weeks wont be much of a problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that, build week was 13 so its about 3 weeks old, I'll give it 2 or 3 weeks until its first wax then.

Jace, is the red bottle called Megs Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant ?

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by lee_d_m on 14/04/2005 14:52:16

Jace, is the red bottle called Megs Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant ?

Correct a mundo [^]

Its good stuff I tell thee, infact I think its better than the NXT tech protectant I normally use on the trim.[^]

·
Registered
412 Posts
[Megs Gold Class Shampoo

Megs Gold Class clear liquid wax

Megs Rim Cleaner

Megs Tyre Detailer (something like that)

Sheepskin mitt

Applicator pads

Chamois leather

wheel brush.

So, questions.

Firstly, do I need anything else apart from that to get me started ?

a bucket? [:D]

get yourself a meg perfect polishing cloth or whatever its called... makes buffing the wax a doddle and is a lot better than an ordinary microfibre cloth

1 - 20 of 40 Posts