Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Friday finally arrived and I picked her up from the dealers (Pulman in Durham - v good service), I must confess I was quite excited.

First impressions comparing her to my old GT TDI 130:

Looks very sleek and stylish in silver, the colour suits the styling very well (I think most new Gernan designed cars mustuse silver as the default design colour), the car sits very well on the lowered sports suspension and looks understated but purposeful. The whees are only the standard 16" but they fit well in the arches with the lowered suspension.

In the interior - I must admit I was dissapointed the first time I test drove a MkV when they came out compared to the MkIV. However now I've been in it a few days it is beginning to 'make sense'. Not sure if they've changed the colours inside but it does seem to be a darker shade of grey to the one I test drove (maybe it's just my eyes!!). The dash is very clear, well laid out and the instruments are spot on, the dials look like watch dials to me (don't get me started on watches!).

The seats are much more comfortable then the ones in my MkIV, they aren't as tight and grip better at the back the lumbar support is a definite bonus.

As far as handling goes I know VW have spent a fortune on the rear suspension and I didn't think I woul dnotice the difference (not being the world's greatest driver) but even to me the car is so much more positive to drive. The ride is more supple the cornering is vastly better and the commute to work (a mixture of dual carriageway and fast country roads) is now somethig I look forward to.

The engine pulls like a train and revs much more freely than the 130PD and the car is (or feels to me) much quicker through the gears. The only query is a slight 'droning' noise from the engine not sure if it's a characteristic of the engine as it seemd to be 'under' the noise of the revs if you see what I mean but I'll ask the dealers about it when I next pop in.

So far so good...[:)]

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear you're enjoying the GT TDI,xalways good to listen to someone who's owned both MK4 and now a MK5.

Happy motoring.
Cheers! I've also had a Mk III TDI (must be a VW darkside thing). I think you could say the differences between that and the MkV are erm...'huge' [;)]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Glad u like your car buying a new car gives a real nice feeling. Nice review.
I'm going to resist test driving a MK V else I'll only want one more!!!

If I upgrade to a Golf I'm going to enjoy all the nice touches VW has programmed in (MK V hints and tips thread)!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Good to hear you're enjoying the GT TDI,xalways good to listen to someone who's owned both MK4 and now a MK5.

Happy motoring.
Cheers! I've also had a Mk III TDI (must be a VW darkside thing). I think you could say the differences between that and the MkV are erm...'huge' [;)]
I have to admit to being one of those people who never took to the MK IV Golf. I remember looking at it in the showroom shortly after it had come out and thought, then, that it seemed a lot of money for not a lot of car! My overriding memory was of an interior with an appearance of unremitting gloom in all its splenour of blackness, the alternative being a cack-brown colour (am I correct here?).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have to admit to being one of those people who never took to the MK IV Golf. I remember looking at it in the showroom shortly after it had come out and thought, then, that it seemed a lot of money for not a lot of car! My overriding memory was of an interior with an appearance of unremitting gloom in all its splenour of blackness, the alternative being a cack-brown colour (am I correct here?).
There was grey as well - my Bora had a black upper dash with a mid grey for everything else. With the sunroof it was light and airy in there. I know what you mean about the black - my Mum's got a dark blue Golf with a black interior and it's like being in a coal bunker.

Dad picked up a Golf Plus GT TDI today - he's been converted from the Dark Side (Volvo estate [:$])

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks.

I'm liking the little touches with the MkV - 3 blink indicators, lumbar support, lots of storage places, range left in tank on computer, boot badge opener, being able to unlock the boot via the key fob, auto lights, dimming mirror etc etc.

Don't get me wrong I loved my MkIV but as with all things technology progresses and the Mk V is a better car.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Enjoy the car.. nice to have another NE member

Just pray you dont have any noises or intermittent faults... the dealer will never find them... Speaking from experience here.. I have 3 that they cant "replicate"

Also nice watch.. I am an Omega man myself [:D]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Glad you like your new car - and welcome to the NE massiv!

You mentioned that the handling is better on the MKV, but what about straight line accelaration?

Can you feel an advantage in the MKV?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@LHDV5 - Can't go wrong with a bit of Base [:)]

@ cjp2k - I love the Speedmaster 'Moonwatch' - a design classic

@ MattsBlack GT - I'm no expert but it feels faster in a straight line, it keeps pulling well past 3000rpm when the 130PD was 'out of breath'.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The wife has a 130pd, I've just had a new 2.0tdi (again). At the minute I think hers feels a little quicker probably due to hers having 77k on the clock and mine 600 miles ! 2.0tdi definetly revs higher and torque is smoother. If you like it know you should definetly think about a remap in the future as it turns a good engine into a much better one IMO.

Watches - i'm tempted to go for a Breitling Cockpit auto chrono as a special gift to myself, if I do this my remap will have to wait so have to give it some thought :)

Glad you are enjoying your car, good review.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Since the topic has shifted on to watches, does anyone know if Longines are any good?

I've fallen in love with a model from the Master collection, the one with a lot of complications, including a moonphase. What do you guys think/know about it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Watches - i'm tempted to go for a Breitling Cockpit auto chrono as a special gift to myself, if I do this my remap will have to wait so have to give it some thought :)
Just dont get confused and remap your new watch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since the topic has shifted on to watches, does anyone know if Longines are any good?

I've fallen in love with a model from the Master collection, the one with a lot of complications, including a moonphase. What do you guys think/know about it?
Aye we have gone a wee bit off target! Don't know much about Longines I'm afraid. I prefer clean, simple watches e.g. Omega and Panerai.

Maybe we should start a watch thread in the Lounge!?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Well Friday finally arrived and I picked her up from the dealers (Pulman in Durham - v good service), I must confess I was quite excited.
Glad youlike it - but its really a Sport TDI 140 you have there. Take a look at the current VW website and you will see that a GT is now a different car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad youlike it - but its really a Sport TDI 140 you have there. Take a look at the current VW website and you will see that a GT is now a different car.
Way to put him down Mark V.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts