Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be collecting a new car in a few weeks and have heeded that the dealer valet may damage the paintwork with polishing swirls etc.
So thought I would ask dealer to:
Remove plastic paint wrapping.
Just pressure wash to remove the worst.
Clean glass to remove any label residue.
Leave rest of paintwork.

Then I'll valet car.
I already have a sealant pack, usual shampoo, clay bar and VW equivalent of Iron X.

Was thinking of using a foaming shampoo first to lift off transit dirt - I assume the car will have been on a train from Wolfsburg to Emden.

Any other thoughts to remove any oil, sap or wax residues?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I don't even know if they bother with plastic wrapping any more, I've toured Germany and been round Wolfsburg (VW), Stuttgart (Merc) Bochum (Opel Vauxhall) Munich (BMW) and seen loads of trains loaded with new cars without full wrapping. All the cars are driven on and off the trains and onto the delivery ships

Here are a few snaps of new VW's I took on the outskirts of Munich in Oct2012 which are fairly typical of what I've seen and the protection wasn't that good. The train load of new VW vans in the picture (middle pic back row of wagons) had no protection whatsoever!

View attachment 12066 View attachment 12074 View attachment 12082

The paint will be clean and fresh (not deteriorated from long exposure to air and sunlight etc) so won't need a lot of prep but if your starting from scratch a good wash and quick go over with a clay bar should leave everything good for your own valet and protection

Happy New Car :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant the white plastic on roof and bonnet. Seems they protect the flat surfaces.

I was to use a snow foam to lift the worst and then wash.

·
Registered
781 Posts
All of the new VW and Audis I've carried out new car protection details on have suffered very heavily with fallout deposits.

You'll want to stock up on fallout remover. Wolf's Decon Gel is probably your best bet. It's around £10 for a liter.

Tar remover for all of the adhesive residue and transport wax.

Clay and plenty of lube.

Then you'll re-wash, dry and find out how good the paint work is.

Don't be too surprised if there's some swirling there already. I haven't seen a new car that's perfect yet.

A nice glaze, pre wax cleanser or all in one polish will be the easiest way to cover them up and prepare for your protection.

What sealant do you have?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts