Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my commute has just took a healthy trip down from 46 miles a day minimum to 12!

Not long ago I posted about buying a bluemotion polo, I went to view one and was put off by the terrible build quality.

As I've just found out today I got the job at a more local place the decisions begin.

Now im not bothered about fuel costs and tax not too bothered about unless its over £250. I have upto £10k to spend and unsure what to get. My current list of daily choices are:

1. MK4 R32 - finding a good one could be difficult though!
2. Seat Leon with a BTCC kit - any engine
3. MK5 R32 but may have to stretch the budget a bit and I believe tax is a LOT more?
4.???

It must be reliable and I dont want something that will depreicate LOADS.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
What are your other criteria? Good as a daily drive out of the box? You going to keep it as is or does it need tuning potential? Does it need to be in any way practical? 10k can buy you a lot of car - are you thinking newer, lower mileage or something higher mileage and a bit more silly? And how fussy are you going to be about it being VAG or even German?

On the basis that anything with a biggish powerful petrol engine is going to depreciate badly anyway and that's only likely to get worse as fuel gets more expensive, then I suggest one of these. Get one registered before March 2006 and it's only £245 to tax for 12 months.

Jon.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Plenty of 400bhp Supras around for that money and they wont really depreciate.

Peter

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are your other criteria? Good as a daily drive out of the box? You going to keep it as is or does it need tuning potential? Does it need to be in any way practical? 10k can buy you a lot of car - are you thinking newer, lower mileage or something higher mileage and a bit more silly? And how fussy are you going to be about it being VAG or even German?

On the basis that anything with a biggish powerful petrol engine is going to depreciate badly anyway and that's only likely to get worse as fuel gets more expensive, then I suggest one of these. Get one registered before March 2006 and it's only £245 to tax for 12 months.

Jon.
Needs to be reasonably comfortable and not a slouch. With some room for carrying small loads.

The monaro is a good choice - just rather buy a Trans Am or GTO...cheaper and the same car. LHD doesn't bother me.

Want something with lower miles so I dont have to maintain too much on it. Doesnt have to be VAG at all.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Id just drive the wagon youve already got... doesnt make sense to get another car to me!
My gti isnt reliable enough for every day. And I want it to be more of a weekend thing! The TDI has too many miles now and its starting to fall apart....it is 11 years old afterall!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plenty of 400bhp Supras around for that money and they wont really depreciate.

Peter
Then I'd be selling the black golf as neither are really everyday cars. It has to replace my tdi with something I wont want to modify and wont depreciate too much.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh ok so something stock/ish with a little poke.

How about an s4?

Peter
23 years of age and an S4 - insurance nightmare lol

I will one day own a B5 Rs4 estate though yum yum yum

1 - 20 of 74 Posts