Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I *should* be buying a new car, spare time permitting. The car will be a cheaper car to get me from A-B for a year, after that I will upgrade to something better.

Comes down to these 2, and I could do with some help! Which one would you go for?

Pug 406 Rapier (model with climate, computer, rain sensing wipers etc)
1.8 Petrol, V reg, 57,000 miles, 38mpg, ins group 11
?1995

Pug 306 Meridian (not sure on spec, but deffo air con)
2.0 HDI Diesel, W reg, 76,000 miles, 54mpg, ins group 5
?2995

The 406 I don't like the body style as much, but it has benefits of lower price, mileage, more toys and higher insurance.

The 306 I like the sytle, no toys, lower insurance group (very low!) and more economy but higher initial price.

I will be doing around 15,000 miles a year. Do I put up with looks of the 406 and getting hailed down by people thinking I'm a taxi and save a grand or go for the more economical 306? I don't think there will be much difference in the actual cost of ownership over a year.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I hadd that exact 306 and it was ok, build quality will be shocking compared to what you're used to but they are sound cars. One word of caution on the 406 as I sold my 306 at that milage as the cambelt was due and i didn't want to pay for it

Meridian should have the sport seats like the gti 6 (possibly half leather) a/c cd player, passenger and drivers airbag,rain sensing wipers, alloys, fully colour coded and with the gti-6 skirts and stuff. pretty well specced really

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm aware that it's going to be notjing like what I have got now, I'm just torn between the 406 with the toys etc and the 306 with the low insurance and fuel economy (why i was looking at HDI only).

So thats 1 vote for the 306!

Cheers Tom.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Another vote for the 306. Thinking of getting one myself as it happens, either than or a Fiesta Deisel. For the engine size its lower than most others insurance wise, this is what made my ears prick up re. the car.

The 406 will cost more to run and more to insure, so you're best sitting down and working out which will give you the most over the period of ownership.

I must say that having a large saloon at the moment I'm looking very forward to going back to a hatch.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm sure you're not interested in tuning them but you can get 25bhp for about ?200 notes and no real effect on fuel economy by fitting a fuel pressure raising module to the common rail. If it is a proper Meridian model the 306 should have most of the toys you need

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are obviously other options for the 306, but from what I'm aware, the Meridian is the top model? For instance, for ?1950 I could have an S reg 1.9 TD Meridian with 81k on the clock. Difference is group 4 insurance, but a big drop on the fuel economy, roughly 42mpg instead of 54 for the HDI.

Would personally rather have a high miler HDI than a lower mileage TD if that's the case for fuel, afterall, only a stop gap while I get my first place sorted out. If I sell the Golf, I should have a couple of K to put towards things like Oven, Sofa, Curtains etc and still have a car and still have the money I have now. Just makes sense to me at the moment.

Looks like it's going to be a 306!

Haven't even looked at 206's yet, feel a bit girly? And 106 is deffo out of the equation!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Don't bother with the 206. Useless car and horrible gear shift, reminded me of my mates F reg 205 1.1L, and the car I drove was an 02 plate!

Stick with the 306 [Y] Or failing that take a look at the Fiesta (can't remember which marque), think they started on a W and have the revised bumpers. The 1.8TD unit in them is pretty good, and, if your a scrooge like me, runs quite happily on Bio Diesel.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never been a scrooge until now! Priorities and all that!

Anyone know if the HDI or TD units in the 306's run on biodiesel?

Had a fiesta before, has put me off ford for life I'm afraid!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
?320 for a years insurance with my speeding conviction on the 2.0 HDI 306! [:O]

Don't think I have ever seen a quote for me that low!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yer it's deffo gonna be the 306 HDI.

Would rather get the ?2995 down though. So gonna keep a look out for one with higher miles than the 76,000. I don't mind around 100,000 if it brings the price down 500 quid.

My initial thoughts were sell the golf, buy a car for a grand and keep that for a year while I get myself sorted....I've already worked my way up to 3 grand! [:$]

So hard going down in quality!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Driving a banger is fine as long as you prepare mentally, my daily driver is a ?270 volvo 440 in the six months i've had it's cost me nothing but fuel and tax. I get the odd drive in the wife's mk3 golf but I'm happy just not caring about the car and it gets me from a to b at a reasonable pace

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Driving a banger is fine as long as you prepare mentally, my daily driver is a ?270 volvo 440 in the six months i've had it's cost me nothing but fuel and tax. I get the odd drive in the wife's mk3 golf but I'm happy just not caring about the car and it gets me from a to b at a reasonable pace
Exactly what I want for a year, but it's got to get me to work and back every day which is why I want to spend a little more. Work will be 30 miles away when I get in my new place.

Figured 1-2k would be fine, but then it rose as I tried to jutify the HDI engine for the extra 12mpg over the TD engine! 12mpg though does equate to a lot driving 60 miles a day just to work and back, let alone all the other trips I do.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Another Jalopy owner here as well. It's great having a beater than costs next to nothing to run and you can park anywhere and not give two hoots about.

Graham - HDI will run on Bio but its best to run on a mix with normal derv. Figure about 75% bio in a full tank. The savings should be about ?10 per fillup.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another Jalopy owner here as well. It's great having a beater than costs next to nothing to run and you can park anywhere and not give two hoots about.

Graham - HDI will run on Bio but its best to run on a mix with normal derv. Figure about 75% bio in a full tank. The savings should be about ?10 per fillup.
Where do you get bio from? Say I filled up from empty, would I go to the garage, fill up with quarter a tank of diesel, then go home and fill the rest of the tank with this bio?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Google for your nearest supplier of Bio Diesel, there are filling stations in most major parts of the UK now. We've got two here in Liverpool that sell it for about 75p/L. It won't rise above that unless the Government decide the tax should go up. It's all legal and above board as well before you ask!

Yes fill up with normal derv first then top here up with Bio Diesel. Works a treat. Bloke in our place has a 406 estate with the HDI engine and it runs happy as larry i.e. fine on cold starts.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would go for the 306. I had an XSi it cost me a fortune to fix but perhaps thats 'cos it was a hotch hatch. The diesel in the 306 will be better than the petrol 406.

The other car I would look at is a Passat - they are quite cheap now (I had a '97 one) very nice good on the motroway. Or a Vaux Omega - loads of kit and very cheap (just don't buy a white one, especially if its got blue lights on it!!)

·
Registered
646 Posts
We also have a HDI 110BHP 307 and although its a great family car its no more economical than my Tuned TDI! they both average 450 miles to a tank...I think the TDI is a much better engine...quieter too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts