Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
stunning clarity mate! can't help but feel all patriotic when i see shots of famous landmarks like this! well done,mate.

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Very impressive mate. So are you going to let us know what camera it is?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments.

The camera is the new Nikon D40 (entry level DSLR) with the 18 - 55 kit lens and so far I've been really impressed with it, the pictures were taken with no tripod, just a thing called The Pod to support the camera I then set the timer and hey presto (a good tripod will be my next purchase).

I have always been interested in night time photography but never had much luck until now, this camera makes it so easy, too easy in fact not sure that I should be getting results like this first attempt.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice photos,are they fresh from the camera,or have they been tweeked at all?

Chris.
These are straight out of the camera, no tweaking at all in fact I don't have any imaging software on my pc at the moment.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Awesome pics there matey! [Y]

Are they taken with the standard lens? What settings did you use? Total amatuer here! [:$]

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome pics there matey! [Y]

Are they taken with the standard lens? What settings did you use? Total amatuer here! [:$]
For these pictures I set the top dial to A , s elected f8 and set the white balance to incandescent and took the photo using the self timer.

Yes I used the standard kit lens.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wow. They are stunning pics Del.

I've just bought a D40 also and the more I use it, the better it gets. Don't know why I wasted money going for the in-between Panasonic FZ7 now.

Any more pics mate? Would love to see what my camera is capable of with the kit lens (for now).

Frisky...

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Wow! I've been looking around for a camera as I have actually never owned one. I would be taking pictures of everything! Would this be a good camera to start on as I probably wouldn't be upgrading ever unless something went wrong with it?

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Wow! I've been looking around for a camera as I have actually never owned one. I would be taking pictures of everything! Would this be a good camera to start on as I probably wouldn't be upgrading ever unless something went wrong with it?
It's quite a big step to take if you don't know photography as you won't get the best from an SLR if you don't,it's pointless spending that sort of money to use it purely in poiint-and-shoot mode.Yes you will soon learn,but it'd be better if accompanied by a college course or similar.

Don't forget when you buy an SLR you only get a camera body,no lens,no memory,not even a case as you used to with film SLRs.You will probably get a good deal with a cheap starter lens and some memory,but you're still looking at spending about ?600 or more to get started if you get another decent zoom lens.

I'd say to start get yourself a decent prosumer camera,which is as good as you'll get that isn't an SLR,something like the Fuji S5700 zoom,or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 to name just a couple,both should be available for under ?200.The downside to one of these is they lose value quickly if you decide to sell and upgrade to an SLR,and the compact zoom lenses they use aren't brilliant at the long end of their zoom range,especially on sports or fast moving subjects.

And one VERY important thing to remember,no matter what name is written on the gear you buy,or how many pixels it has,it cannot guarantee you'll take good photos with it,that is purely down to you,the most infinitely variable part of the equatuon.The Canon/Nikon debate has no answer as neither brand or any other takes better or worse photos than any other,you are the only person that can decide what's best for you.

(Enough sitting on the fence,it's giving me a sore ar5e)

Chris.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
After thinking about it I've decided that I will take advantage of Nikon's cash back offer, as the price seems very reasonable.

You mentioned memory cards and lenses Chris.. I notice on this page (clicky) they are offering bundle deals along with the camera. Is there anything there that stands out as an essential buy? Or would I be ok just starting out with the camera and picking up a memory card separately.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've said this before somewhere else, but books, definitely buy some books on exposure. They help you understand photography no-end. I'd get the basic stuff first, then when you're confident in your ability and they way the camera works, then get a decent lens (and the lens really does make a difference).

I bought myself a Canon L-range lens (the pro series) for my Canon 350D at the begining of the year and it really is fantastic. But the books really do help.

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts