Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Isn't this the stuff that is something stupid like ?2 a litre? Surprised BP sell any Ultimate fuel as it is so much more expensive than Supermarket High Octane Petrol and even V-Power.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Its been around for a while now, just linited to about 8 stations...

They were demoing it big time at this years Goodwood FOS

Posted Image

Normal super

Posted Image

102 super

Posted Image

about ?2.50 a litre mind

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
They are doing this at BP on the london bound A12 just before Gants Hill in essex. its NOT cheap though...

I put ?10 worth in the Corsa pool car (1.2) for a laugh... just like optimax really.. but i spose it would have helped if someone could have chipped the corsa's ECU to appricate the new octaine level!

·
Registered
288 Posts
That price is crazy though! I get ticked off if I have to spend more than a ?1 per litre on the good stuff!

I can't see it making that much difference unless you have a powerful scooby/skyline/evo that was designed to run on high octane fuels in Japan.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its been around for a while now, just linited to about 8 stations...

They were demoing it big time at this years Goodwood FOS

Posted Image

Normal super

Posted Image

102 super

Posted Image

about ?2.50 a litre mind
Cheap!..... Not!

A 42hp increase just from a slightly better fuel? That seems a bit ambitious!

....unless i never realised mine went up that much when i went from 95 Ron to 99!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
They are doing this at BP on the london bound A12 just before Gants Hill in essex. its NOT cheap though...

I put ?10 worth in the Corsa pool car (1.2) for a laugh... just like optimax really.. but i spose it would have helped if someone could have chipped the corsa's ECU to appricate the new octaine level!
When i was at that BP i nearly went to put that in thinking it was the normal BP Ultimate. Looked at the price....wtf?! that can't be right!! [:O]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
How in the hell can they justify THAT!!!!!

2.42 A FRIGGING L

That means it would cost me 133.01 QUID TO FILL A 55L TANK!!!!!

FM

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
they're at it just because they are the only ones with such a thing , ill stick to my 90 pence a ltr V Power thankyou very much

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Thats ok for you bob but some dope decided they would close our only SHELL where i live[:S]

and these old V6?s dont care much for TESCO pee

LOL my next shell is about 20 miles away[:'(]

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
dont want to rub it in , ok i do ive got  2 within a half mile of me , dont get me wrong once the bp near me gets it in ill prob stick 20 quid in( just to try it you know ) probably be a waste of money but at least i could say i tried it

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
i can rub more in lol i have 3 within a 5 mile radius [;)] and 5 texacos lol...

id only put it in to cheat on the rollers lol...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have to admit that I have run the V5 on Optimax since buying the car and have started to wonder if it is worth the extra expense.

That was until last week when the fuel warning light came on and I had to fill the car from Morrisons.

The lower octane fuel has made a noticable difference. I genuinly can feel a difference in the cars performance and don't belive that I am imagining it.

The car has been sluggish and I have used more fuel. Am looking forward to filling up on proper petrol again (but not paying for it).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have to admit that I have run the V5 on Optimax since buying the car and have started to wonder if it is worth the extra expense.

That was until last week when the fuel warning light came on and I had to fill the car from Morrisons.

The lower octane fuel has made a noticable difference. I genuinly can feel a difference in the cars performance and don't belive that I am imagining it.

The car has been sluggish and I have used more fuel. Am looking forward to filling up on proper petrol again (but not paying for it).
exactly what happened to me mate light came on (usually a regular occurance with the v6 ) and had to fill up with the cheaper stuff from a bp garage , i definatly noticed some sluggishness come into play and not half as responsive , so i try my best to stick to v power now

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Would it not be cheaper to use a octane booster and Vpower to create your own 102 blend?

And another point, various tests have suggested that high octane petrols go off quickly (loosing octane levels) when sat around for more than a few days.

So I wonder what BP are doing to the 102 petrol to ensure that it is actually 102 by the time some crazy nutter fills up with it?

I mean I can't see them selling it as much as regular petrol?

·
Registered
703 Posts
i use v-power or the tesco 99ron though mainly a mix of v-power and whatever else at 1/2 a tank... seems to be best on the wallet and performance/economy.

no way i would fill up with that at ?2!

Inaam

·
Registered
641 Posts
On a tank full of say Shell Optimax or similiar would the increased m.p.g make up for the extra cost per litre does anyone know?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts