Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My 1st time on here, in fact my 1st time in ownin a Golf and somethin with half decent power. I've come from ownin a car that the only mod you can buy for them is neon washer jets and Halfords bolt on 15inch window shattering exhausts (saxo that is lol).

At the mo, as i have only just picked up my new MK4 GTI 2001 the only mod the kind lady that had it b4 me treated it to was a Vanilla Magic Tree and Tesco trolly go faster kinks in the rear bumper, which hav now been removed thankfully from the guys at Hollins Green Prestige.

As im sure the 1st question that new members ask is "has any1 got any suggestions of some subtle but effecteive engine mods that can be done" I thought I shouldn't let the more inexperienced group down and ask as well.

Cheers for ya time guys

Adz

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
welcome mate, and welcome to the world of tastefull modding!

no one tip. stay out of halfords!

what gti is it? 2.0 or 1.8t modding is different for the two.

·
Registered
954 Posts
wheather you've got a 2.0 or a 1.8T some nice subtle mods to begin with are usually, a nice sounding induction kit or CAI e.g. Carbonio (from awesome gti) or a Jabbasport induction kit, and possibly a subtle looking exhaust cant go wrong with Milltek mate they're mustard! both will give you three things: a nice subtle tone from the exhaust, a great looks and a bit of performance you can notice. Guarentee both will put a smile on ya face

Welcome to the forum dude hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for tips m8, would you suggest a dump valve? if so which 1? I gave Demon Tweeks a ring yesterday and they suggested one that was just short of ?400.00!!! now I no am new to this game and all but to me that sounds a bit steep, I was born at night......not last night!!!

Nice 1 m8

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Dont know if im doin this the right way lol, i'm clicking reply on every1s individual message to say thanks for welcomin me. these new peeps r a liability rnt they? lol

Anyway just thought i'd say ta for sayin hi.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi mate,

Yeah that is very steep and to be honest mate i wouldnt invest in a dump valve our cars can run them properly and they can cause alot of problems for ya! if you wana uprate the valve get a recirculating valve like a forge motorsport recirc or a baileys DV30 ricirc, whatever you do don't get an atmopheric dump valve!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for that,

Im like a kid in a sweet shop at the min m8, coming from owning a french car for the past 3 years mods have been a bit limited to say the least and im a bit green when it comes to mods like these. Now ive got the GTI its completely different ball game to me and I dont wanna start gettin giddy puttin any old thing on thats gonna end up making somthin else go t*ts up.

Off the top of ya head can you give me a rough idea of how much I would be payin for a forge of baileys? Just so I dont get shafted on price.

Oh yeah and are they DIY friendly?

Anyway questions aside lol, how long you owned yours for?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yeah course mate i paid ?98.95 (inc VAT) for the forge motorsport DV and ?104.98 (inc VAT) for the baileys, if you want my opinion mate id go for the forge one cause they are very reliable and you can adjust the setup of them when you run more power e.g. you change the spring inside for diff strength ones! if its the noise your after from a dump valve then get a full induction kit on and you'll love the noise the recirc gives off!

As for DIY it couldn't be any easier its a direct replacement!

Iv owned my golf since Febuary this year!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forge divert it is then, will i need a fittin kit mate? yeah wouldn't mind somethin that gives off a nice Wushhh......just to remind the spotty kids in the Corsa's that no matter how many nOz stickers they put on their doors they aint gonna keep up!

Some1s recomended a Carbonio Cold Air Intake! what do you recon mate?

Cheers for all this by the way fella.

·
Registered
954 Posts
No worries fella thats what the forum's all about!

Yeah defo get a Carbonio or a ABD racing LAN pipe (same as carbonio just its steel not carbon fibre) the carbonio's apparently sound the nuts (Darth Vader with a cold type sound) lol.

No you wouldnt need a fitting kit its just goes right on where the old one goes! if you need help fitting it there are instructions on the forge website!

With a carbonio or ABD pipe you'll get a wicked Wushhh noise if you have a Forge recirc. Iv got an ABD pipe myself with a forge recirc and sounds wicked under high boost!

Have you had yours remapped or anything yet?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Darth Vader hey? sounds like i've found my intake as will lol. Pay day 2moz so I no what i'm doin first thing in the mornin ha ha.

Just bin on the forge website mate and found the valve your talkin about so i'll order it off there.

Its as standard as they come m8. Its got the recaro seats but apart from that its a plain canvas which is what I wanted to tell ya the truth, the GTIs standard look is t*ts anyway. focusing on the engine for now. might treat it to some new shoes (RS4s) and a nice GTI spoiler but power is what im lookin for in it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well if your looking for a good shovel load of oomph id go for a remap when you get the money its worth every penny and it unlocks normal around an extra 50bhp and sometime more depending on what mods you've done (CAI, Exhaust, DV).

Its great to see the look on people faces when you suddenly plant ya right boot and off you fly! especially when its cars like scoobys and other jap crap! and even more so when its the little twats in their 1.1 corsa's or pug 206's!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chompin at the bit now mate ha

Remap is what I keep hearing so thats on the to do list. My birds gonna be well impressed with me when she finds out her xmas pres has been turned into a valve and intake, oh well lol. my m8s got a scooby which he's thrashed me with time and time again in this past couple of years so it would be nice to flick him the bird as i give it a foot full past him.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Damn right thats what i like to hear, glad iv put you on the right path! lol.

Break it to your bird that your getting the golf running and looking great so you can take her out more exciting places! (NOT)

Well if you need advice on anything else mate or where to get anything just PM and il see what i can do mate!

Happing driving!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Adz

Nice to see you on here mate with a proper car at last!

Stop using that f**king txt spk though mate and type your words out properly!!

LOL

Enjoy your motor mate, and remember I have those nice component speakers for sale that will drop straight in [Y]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts