Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I don't think VW and Audi will be worried anymore...what a dissapointment!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The new 1-Series is a rear-drive car with a longitudinal engine and it will be available in several different body versions. The pictured prototype is the five-door basic model with a steep rear end. BMW will add in the beginning of 2005 a three-door and in the same year a coupe version; a sporty wagon version is coming, but will not be out before the end of 2005.

Power will come initially from four-cylinder engines only: a 120-hp, 1.8-liter four, a 2.0-liter four with 160 hp, and two diesels at 115 hp and 150 hp. Later on a turbo version of the gasoline four-cylinders delivering 220 hp is expected.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Looks like it's been vacuum-formed (deformed?) or starved so you can see the 'bones under the skin'.

From the front in looks OK!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I actually quite like it. It needs bigger wheels and bigger rear lights (or are the masked off ?) Also I dont like the front valance, but other than that its ok. Then again is is a BMW, so it is bound to be expensiveto buy, service and get parts for and will have the customary optional extra indicators that nobody uses. getting out of a junction will be impossible, as people don't let BMW's pull out, and even other BMW drivers won't let them out as they are not 'proper' BMW's.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What on earth are BMW doing to their cars? I see that Mr Bangle has actually been promoted to Group Design Manager(or something like that) and another guy appointed designer of BMW cars. The new designs seem to be getting worse..I never liked the new 7, the new 5 is even worse. I sat in one the other day and the interior quality/layout is far worse than previous E39/5 series.(Makes the MkV Golf look good) There's a guy on a BMW forum who's owned two 528is and recently bought a new shape 530i..he's already thinking of selling it and buying another old shape 5 series.

·
Registered
304 Posts
MMM, do not really like it but this must be a very early production model

MIGHT look better in a 3 door?? BUT maybe not???

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't think it matters what this car looks like, it's gonna sell, it brings the BMW brand to a whole new audience.

BMW's are no longer exclusive, the 3 series now out sells the Mondeo and this 1 series will take sales away from the Golf, because thats the market its aimed at not the Focus or Astra.

So like it or not be prepared to see loads on the road.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
looks similar to an alfa 147, just much much worse!

That's just what I was thinking. Was interested in these but I'm not anymore. In a way it reminds me of a cross between an alfa 147 and a Z3(M) Coupe.

·
Registered
782 Posts
He He He He....... LOL

Where do you want me to start Mike ? LOL

Looks like something out of wackey racers................

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote: posted by Gary on 10/02/2004 18:23:32

looks similar to an alfa 147, just much much worse!

Yup, but crossed with an old-type Astra! Anybody else see that?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Not saying that I could do anything better, but what a dog's dinner of a car.. I can't wait for Clarkson to slate it, no sarcasm spared!

- Toff.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ha, ha

While I love BMW's I HATE their salesmen who, without expection, think they're doing you a favour by allowing you to buy one of their cars

Looks like they're going to have their work cut out selling as many cars as they used to

·
Registered
512 Posts
It hurts to see BMW making sheds like this - oh dear oh dear.

Ive had loads of BMs, but all the good looking ones - they have lost the plot, and some following to boot!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts