Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According the motoring press this is far superior to any other hatchback on the market. Rear wheel drive and 163bhp. deisel engine. Out this week I believe. Anyone going for a test drive?

·
Registered
63 Posts
They've been giving test drives in their promotional campaign for a few months now around the country. Great to drive but is crampt inside and pricey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It looks terrible tho inside and out, I can never see it outshining the Audi A3 even the hatch/cabrio thing that?s due out later in the yr its more of a match for the mini cabrio than an A3 even with its RWD, I think BM have shot themselves in the foot here cus the mini cooper is a much better looking and overall performing car than this yoke and trying to appeal to the masses with a hatchback has already proved in the past not to work in the 3 series H/B.

Bring on the A3 Quattro that?s wht I say.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It`s very small in the back, I`m only 5 foot 8 and when I put the seat where I felt comfy the rear legroom vsnished, I`m sure a Lupo would`ve been no worse.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Drove "one"[;)] a few weeks ago.

Very small inside (compared to MKIV, let alone MKV, about the same as Polo), both in legroom front and rear and shoulder room (the side slope in ALOT).

Reasonable headroom though.

The interior is very spartan - ot has radio, climate etc buit it just looks like theres nothing in there, its very "slab" design dashboard.

Interestingly, there is NO spare tyre or pump/emergency "goo" - all standard fit "ONE" tyres are "run-flats". Don't fancy paying out for a new one of those when they get a puncture!

118 sounded nice, BMW always do good exhaust "roar" (on petrol models). 115 BHP so not that quick.

120d Sport was horrid. The "sports" suspension did not noticeably stop roll (over the standard suspension/wide track which is actually quite good) - however, don't drive if you have fillings!! You could really feel EVERy pot hole, ridge and road seams through the chassis. Probably didn't help it had the optional 17 inchers (I had a 18 inch'd Anni so its not that I am used to tall tyres either)

The engine really sucked. No real go (much narrower rev range than 150 PD) - about 2k to 4k, rather than 1.8 to 4.5+ (which doesn't sound much but its actually 35% narrower). What was worse was the horrid noise it made. I know its diesel but it was shocking. I thought PDs were meant to be loud or uncouth, but this actually sounded like a straining Massey Ferguson. Not nice.

All in all, didn't like it.

However, I don't like the MKV either, but my local BMW dealer is having a launch day this Weekend (18/19th) with all the "one" competitors. Including the new Audi A3 Sportback - which I will really be interested to see.

Also going to Porsche 997 launch on Friday - which should be good[:p][:p][:p]. I will try and take some pics.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm going to try a 130i if it comes out but just out of curiosity.

Look weird but at least it's different!

Also going to try a mk5 GTi (with no intention of buying, save that for the mk5 R32/6).

Saw a 3.2 Sportback today.

I'm sorry but it looks very odd from the back. A bit like an frunpy new A8 that's been in a car crusher.

No thanks. Audi also seem to have somehow made almost the same engine as the very tuneful R32 sound a bit like a pipe and slippers-mobile.

Who are they aiming them at?!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think from all reports (from folks i know who've seen on first hand) (forget what the gits in the mags say) - i'd rather ride me pushbike.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i saw my first one yesterday as well, it drove staight past my house, so may live in the same close. Thought it looked ok, nothing special.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
DOnt like it... just seen it in the dealer and its sooo cramped compared to the golf!

The one they had in the showroom had leather sports pack aero pack and cost ?28,000! They didnt even have xenons on it

Its an awful lot of money for not much car.... would much rather have an A3 or Golf!

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
I spent the day at a BMW show room taking pictures for the owner at the launch of the car and no one was jumping up and down with excitement.

Most people complained about the lack of rear space, and from the prices i looked at it is not really competing with the Golf. You get so little with the basic car, just the 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

I know the garage owner well and when a 645 owner came in to try it out I went along with him for the spin. It was a 118d and felt quite quick on the road, so quick in fact that we didnt notice the boys in blue with the hairdryer out. They pulled us in at 82mph (the car was in KPH only) and threatened to impound the unregistered untaxed BM and we only had it 2 minutes. I felt real bad at first until i remembered it wasnt my car and more to the point I wasnt driving. The driver sweet talked the cops for a few minutes and soon we were off again. I couldn't beleive we got off. No points, no ticket, laughing. He could have been the first drive to get penalty pionts in a BMW 1-series.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yeh that 3 series coupe I was in last week in the showroom was in KPH too, messy. Just leave them as are!!

Saw a 1 series on the road yesterday near a BMW stealer and it didn't look as bad as the pictures suggested, wouldn't buy one though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts