Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car battery doesn't seem to be holding charge over the last six weeks, it'd crank slowly when left overnight and wouldn't turn over quick enough to start if left any longer. When I initially checked the battery the fluid had got low and despite looking all over the battery I could not find a month and year build date.

After reading about a bit it appears that the Bosch Silver Plus is the one to go for, the S5008 (Bosch part number: 577 400 078) fits in the plastic battery box on my car and is 77aH and does 780 cold cranking amps, which is apparently up to 30% more than the standard battery on this car. It has a five year guarantee so I'll laminate the receipt and hope that I don't have to use it!

I actually phoned around several places local to me to see if they stocked the battery, and what alternatives were about, the cheapest alternative battery I found was a mere £48, one with a lifetime guarantee for £78 but the best I could get the Bosch one for was £101 from Euro Car Parts.

Fingers crossed this will be well worth the extra £££ as to be honest I always hate forking out on anything that doesn't make the car faster and incurring this cost in December doesn't help either! Oh, I took the opportunity to clean the earth terminals under the battery tray while replacing the battery, it was quite dry and rust free under there despite being an 2002 vehicle.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Don't know if you have tried your local VW dealer.

I had to replace the battery on my diesel Bora last winter, a well known car accessory place wanted £100, VW dealer was £79.00 for VW spec battery decided to go to VW as last battery had been on car for 10 years.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello! Good point, I meant to and should have tried VW. I might ring them tomorrow anyway to see the specs of the ones they offer and at what prices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts