Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Looks like the GT will be getting a similar grill to the GTI with different alloys and a boost pressure guage

The Golf GT?s resemblance to its older brother the Golf GTI is no coincidence: sports suspension, exclusive 17 inch alloy wheels ?BBS ClassiX?, 225 tyres, 16 inch brakes, distinctive bumper and radiator grille design, twin tailpipes, sports seats, sports steering wheel and charge pressure display.

·
Registered
57 Posts
AFAIK Price in Germany for the 2.0l GT TDI 170PS will be 24-26,000 euro (?32,000 for R32) and they have the 2L GTI DSG at 25,575 which means it will be close to, if not dearer than the GTI when it gets here. 350NM or 258lb/ft of Torque is only a 22lb advantage over the current 2L TDI which doesnt get me running for the chequebook. have to see what it looks like !!!
Anyone here going to the Frankfurt show ???

·
Registered
566 Posts
For God's sake everyone....torque is quoted in lb ft (NOT lb/ ft - which is a measure of nothing!). Or if you want to be metricated, Nm. I wrote to a popular car magazine as they kept getting it wrong too but they have changed it now!

~ Maxie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maxie
Not that it really matters, but in the printed VW Golf brochure torque is quoted as lbs.ft, you better get on to those dozy Germans.

Any pix of this car around ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Maxie Not that it really matters, but in the printed VW Golf brochure torque is quoted as lbs.ft, you better get on to those dozy Germans. Any pix of this car around ?
But that is actually MORE correct (in a physics/mathematical sense).

it is "Foot Pounds" or "Pounds Foot" - it doesn't matter - it is a multiplication and as such is commutative (ordering doesn't matter).

As far as the Germans that you quote are concerned they have moved from an implicit multiplication (lb)times(ft) to an explicit multiplication = (lbs)dot(ft) or lbs.ft as the torque is an expression of the equivalent perpendicular force operating at a distance of 1 ft from the fulcrum.

The use of lbs or lb is purely dependent on the plurality required by the numbers

ie 1 pound or 2 pounds etc

Note: if you are American you drop correct plural usage altogether. But then they say "August 25th Two Thousand Five" - where did the "the" and "and" go?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds good. Talking to the service manager at my local Audi stealers the other day, he was waxing lyrical about the piezo injection system in the new 3.0Tdi, so it's good news if they have switched to this for the 170bhp 2.0l.

Si.

·
Registered
20 Posts
YAY, a 170PS TDI Touran as well! [:D]
With a DSG box as well - be interesting to see if the gearbox part numbers are the same as the TDI 140, if it is then I will be off for an ECU remap as the only thing stopping me is the thought of my DSG grenading itself under too much torque - lease company would not be very happy I suspect.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts