Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see the report in Sunday's Times 'Driving' section about the new MKV GTI coming out in February?

It's going to be a 1.4 with both a turbo AND a supercharger, it's reportedly got "better power characteristics than the 2.0T and better fuel consumption"

Is it April 1st already or do you think this is legit?... I'd have thought they'd have done the diesel GTI first?

Mike.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It's certainly true. It's being fitted to the new GT (not GTI) along with a 170bhp version of the 2.0 TDI. Quite a cool idea for an engine as you get the low-end torque from the supercharger and the high-end push from the turbocharger.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldn't see them badging it as a GTI myself really, so that makes sense... they'll shift a few of them I'm sure - low road tax & emissions too with added fun. I might bully the missus into putting her name down for one..

Do you know if they're going to spec the 170 TDI like the GTI, or is that going to be another GT?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The details have been around for a bit - read this here.

I'm waiting for the 170 TDI, cash ready. Drove another GTI, nice-ish
car but not really gutsy enough and a bit thirsty for the high mileage
I do. The TDI should chip nicely and make a worthy replacement to the
MkIV 150 TDI.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh, thanks for that..certainly looks the part eh?

Now if it had the GTI's check cloth interior & seats I'd seriously consider one - it looks fantastic outside and the motor has to be great... biege leather's a thought though to break up all that grey.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
From my past experience of turbo charged small displacement engines
170hp should not be a problem for a modern 1.4 and the engine should be
very revvy.Depending on the size of the turbo it should have good top
end too.Looking forward to test driving one of these[:D]

·
Registered
874 Posts
ahem, I thought we'd established that the 170 diesel wasnt super-turboed? Its a 2.0 single turbo with piezo injection.
Don't think anyone is saying it is- original post was about the 1.4 petrol which is 'super-turboed'.

I think these type of engines will be the way forward in the next few years as manufacturers look to keep the type of performance we're used to while cutting emmissions and fuel consumption.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Ahahaha, imagine when you tell people you got a 1.4 and they laugh at you. Then you explain to them its doing 170bhp :)
Well imagine the modding pertantial. Nice little remap should see bhp figures shooting up

·
Registered
207 Posts
The new S3 (due in spring next year) and mk2 TT will have the TSI engines - rumoured to be around 270bhp from a 2 litre...

·
Registered
45 Posts
So which has the most mid-range grunt? Obv the oily model, or is it...

Diesel: 258 ftlb @ 1800-2500, 168 bhp @ 4000

Petrol: 177 ftlb @ 1750-4500, 168 bhp @ 6000

These peak torque ranges can be expressed by a percentage of the rev range (assuming 1000 rpm = 0% and max bhp rpm = 100%):

Diesel: 27% - 50% (quite narrow)

Petrol: 15% - 70% (very wide)

Both are geared for 136 mph (so there will be a 4/6 difference in the
FD ratio), yet the petrol accelerates slightly quicker. The diesel
torque peak, corrected for gearing, is 172 ftlb, ie lower than the petrol!

Power at half revs is at least 98 bhp for the diesel, compared to at least 101 bhp for the petrol. Mmmm. (The GTI is 115 bhp.)

Talking of the GTI, at 2000 rpm it makes 63 bhp, where the TSI makes at
least 67 bhp. At low revs, the TSI will out-drag the GTI!

So the petrol is much more flexible than the diesel, and a tiny bit gruntier.

Will still probably go for the diesel, because:

a) You will get a bigger increase from tuning the diesel (168 bhp from a 1.4 has to be close to the reliability limit)

b) Economy

c) Resale

Pottsy

Or should I? Am I mad, a 1.4 petrol Golf?

Edit: Just found info on the chipped 170 diesel.
The power would be 189 bhp, and the torque-corrected-for-the-gearing
would be 197 ftlb. Power at half revs would be around 113 bhp (about
the same as a GTI).

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I do like the sound of it. but high bhp and small displacement cant be good in the long run. I imagine there will be people iwth very big bills once the warranty is over

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do like the sound of it. but high bhp and small displacement cant be good in the long run. I imagine there will be people iwth very big bills once the warranty is over
Perhaps you should call VW and let them know. No doubt they'll thank you for employing your engineering expertise to highlight an area which they forgot to consider.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Would they be the same engineers who designed the MK4 suspension/chassis setup, or maybe the window regulators, or possibly even tested the coil packs for long-term use? ;-)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Would they be the same engineers who designed the MK4 suspension/chassis setup, or maybe the window regulators, or possibly even tested the coil packs for long-term use? ;-)
NO! these are the same ones who designed the MAF in the MKIV [:p]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts