Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically i'm looking for some imaging/cloning software that will make the roll out of laptops simpler.

whereby i can set one up just how i want it and then make all the rest the same.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i am aware of norton but didn't knwo if it could utilise the network, i have since discovered it can but i'm now trying to find out if it can do multi-casting

and if i can just buy the normal version, i've got a feeling i'll need something more expensive

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There's a version that can do this, but it's not the cheap "personal" one.

Buy it anyway, it'll save you a fortune!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm an IT Manager in a secondary school, and we use Ghost fairly regularly. Saves so much time, especially when you have to add new software and deploy a new build. I guess it depends how many machines you have. We have over 200 now so its absolutely essential we have a deployment tool. Makes it easy to deploy new hardware, and also deploy spare units if you don't have time to carry out repairs or order parts.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well this is the thing, for us (also a secondary school - girls grammar), its only for about 50-60 laptops because all of our desktops are rebuilt using an unattended RM network solution

so i'm not sure it'd really be worth it for the odd thing a few times a year, what i meanis i'd loive to have it but the finance department and senior management won't wanna spend £££ on software that isn't even for the curriculum

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use Symantec Ghost utility everyday at work.  Its a fabulous utility to use and saves so much time.  I can cast laptops/workstations in a matter of minutes.  If you are only doing laptops then a network cast wouldnt be nescessary would it?  The user could simply bring their laptop to you and then you can recast it with the image?  Its not that expensive either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, I'm aware of how much time these things save as we use them ourselves. Me and a small team cover all the LEA schools (about 46) and it does come in very useful. I personally find Norton alot friendlier to use than Acronis especially on laptops. If the laptops aren't of a decent spec Acronis can take an age to complete an image, but both do the job.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all the laptops i want to be able to do have dvd-rom drives, so i could store an image of decent size on a dvd but non of them have dvd-rw drives to burn the image

then if i copied the disc i could do a few at once (i have room for 3 laptops on my desk)

i'm new to this imaging malarkey so if i'm missing something then speak up

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you have got room for 3 laptops on your desk then simply set up a spare computer as a dedicated Norton Ghost server put it on its own subnet, stick a network switch on it then run a few patch cables into the laptops you want to cast.  Then do a "multi-cast" enabling you to do 3 or more laptops at any one time.  Sorted.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i don't think my boss could care less really, especially when the software may cost £500 (for example, i haven't checked)

i would love it cos its a pain setting laptops up individually from scratch plus its another skill/technology i'd be getting familiar with

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would just save the image file of the standard laptop build using Norton Ghost onto the network then create a boot disk that logs onto the network maps a drive to the location of the saved image file and copies the build onto it as long as youve got it connected to the lan. once its picked up the image file and starts building get the boot disk out and crack on with the next laptop. this can get you building a machine every 2 mins. Plus any issues you get once the user has messed around downloading crap that they shouldnt, as long as there work is saved to the network just stick the disk in and put a clean image back onto it. this saves so much time its untrue and everybody loves a bit of standardisation.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that doesn't sound like a bad idea

yeah standardisation is the way to go!

i will make sure that anyone handing their laptop in is aware that i will be wiping it, i expect a few will not like that but its not their property anyway and i'm paid to keep the network and any hardware running,etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.