Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new (new to me, anyway!) Bora has the net optic trim.

Now, I gather the trim is fairly desirable - can anyone tell me why?

I find it pretty grim to be honest, and would much prefer the R32 brushed aluminium-look bits and bobs.

·
uk-mkivs
1,572 Posts
Its desirable becasue its cheaper, more readily available & people sand it down to look like the R32 trim. [;)]

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I've just been looking through some photos. R32 trim looks gash. I'll keep the net optic ones. :)

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
I think my R32 trim looks quite nice. [:p]

I have seen a few of the sanded N-O R32 Wannabes and though some do come out looking good, to be blunt, a lot of people don't do it fully- therefore, don't use a fine enough grade so the end product looks quite rough.

As always its a personal choice.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Basically Low spec models of boras and golf had black or beigey color plasticated rubber. Higher models either had Net Optic (is appealing and only on boras or colour concept golfs) or wood trim(in 4 motions v5s and GTIs) which isnt appealing. Most people sand down net optic trim as a cheap aternative to the r32 trim. Personally i think net optic is a fantastic finish.

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
It's better than the wood we get in the Sport models mate believe me, and as said above it can be sanded down to look like the R32 trim which is what I have done fully and matched to the genuine R climatronic suround I bought.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before I bought this Bora, and was looking at others I kept seeing that horrible wood trim. What were VW thinking!?

I actually prefer the black rubberised finish. I think the Net Optic and R32 finish draw too much attention to unimportant parts of the dashboard, such as the cup-holder and ashtray - what's up with that!?

I know why people go for the R32 trim though, because it's the 'best' model and therefore exclusive. Adding the trim brings a portion of that into their own car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True, and to each his own. :)

Regarding the dark interior, it's funny because when I had a MK5 Fiesta, everyone was always trying to get hold of Pumas because the dash, in a Fiesta, was dark or light grey, and the dash, from a Puma, was black.

And, I've seen some lovely light interiors in VW Golfs and Boras... They do a lovely completely beige interior! Yuck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I love my Optic trim, aluminium looks abit in ya face, through pics at leas i suppose u gotta see it to appreciate it[*-)]

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
True, and to each his own. :)

Regarding the dark interior, it's funny because when I had a MK5 Fiesta, everyone was always trying to get hold of Pumas because the dash, in a Fiesta, was dark or light grey, and the dash, from a Puma, was black.

And, I've seen some lovely light interiors in VW Golfs and Boras... They do a lovely completely beige interior! Yuck!
Ha Ha Ha mine came with full beige and wood interior

Posted Image

Posted Image

Within a week it changed to full black and wannabe R32 trim

Posted Image

Posted Image

I added a 4mo gearknob a week after that, which I also had to change from fake wood effect

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
Oh and I have since bought the little lad a matching car seat, as the one above matched the black and red interior in my old Golf.

Posted Image

The last bit I need to change is the two rear seat belts to the black ones which I have, but I am out of action for a few months as I had an accident at work where I nearly lost my finges so they are going to have to wait, but I can't drive anyway [cry]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts