Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, you may or may not know that I ain't happy with the 318ci I bought 3 months ago - the throttle response is terrible (apparently because of the crap drive by wire system BMW uses)

I test drove a car today that I really liked - a Mercedes C class coupe

Spec is;

2.2 Diesel

143bhp, 232ft/lbs

silver

02 plate

Evo pack - panoramic roof, 17" alloys etc

Climate, cruise, full leather

Auto tiptronic

Price £21k (reduced by £1k this weekend)

They will give me £19k for the BMW which is £1k more than the BMW dealers have offered me!

First diesel I have driven, and I must say I am very impressed - pulls very well and very refined

Should I??

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything that will hold its value really well, looks nice and is refined.

And the wife wants a nice badge as well [8D]

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd have it. I think the C coupe is an aquired taste but I really like it.

I've driven the 2.2 D and its on the shortlist when i come to change the golf.

Maybe its a good taste gooner thing [:D]

·
Registered
437 Posts
Girly car !

We have a C270 CDi in the family - not a bad car, 5 cylinder much better than a 4 cylinder 220 and goes pretty well too, but not as well as a 330d

For the money have you considered a more powerful 3 series, 320 or 325 ?

My sister in law recently picked up an Approved Used 320ci, 51 reg for £18,000

No leather but everything else

·
Registered
194 Posts
As I said in a previous post, you can *feel* torque, so it will *feel* faster than your petrol 318Ci, even though a 0-60 rush mightnt prove it. More torque will provide more relaxed driving with less down changing for overtaking.

Think of tunabiltiy, you could spend £500 quid on your Merc 2.2D and see close to 180/190bhp with increased torque to boot ! Spend £500 quit on your 318Ci, and you'll have wasted £500.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'd have the BM over it....I know they're not even cheap but I see them as a poor man's Merc? They're just too small and out of all the people I've seen driving them it's either a) a middle aged woman or b) some git who's been bought it by daddy and wants to say to all his mates that he has a 'Morc roight'?!

Look at other options is what I'd say...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Tob,

I agree with what Vee said...why not look for a bigger engined 3 coupe? I think £20K would get you a 51/02 reg 320CI..check BMW website. Personally, I don't like the look of the C-class coupe. One other car to try...a new A3?

Matt

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Not a fan of the C Coupe...seems very expensive for what it is; rival to the 3 Series compact rather than the coupe. Nice car though, just wouldnt choose it if I had £21k to spend. Im assuming you like your car as new as possible for the cash?

·
Registered
156 Posts
BMW are offering free 3 yr servicing on 3 series diesels at the mo.

A blatant attempt to stem imports but hey its good for the consumer.

BMW Saloon customers who choose the dynamic 320d or 330d models will now benefit from an attractive free servicing and maintenance package. This package offers three years or 60,000 miles servicing and maintenance - the equivalent of up to a £3,000 saving and includes:

· Oil services

· Inspection services

· Brake pad and discs

· Brake fluid

· Wiper blades

· All labour charges

Linked to the already comprehensive BMW Warranty (3 years unlimited mileage), this effectively eliminates all maintenance costs and is transferable if the vehicle is sold.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decided against it in the end - hasn't quite got it, whatever "it" is

Very nice car though

Tested another car today, a 225bhp TT - great little car, had a right laugh in it

It was black, 51 plate, 16k miles not from a dealer - up for £24k, which I thought was too much - it was utterly mint though, as new really

Has anyone driven the 180bhp and 225bhp TT's - if so is there much in it?

Cos my local Audi dealer has 02 plate 180bhp TT's for £24k............

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tob there is a pretty big difference between the 180 and 225 models. I get to drive a 180 quite often which i always thought was quick.

But after having my car chipped, that's when i really understood the difference in big bhp.

I imagine the 225 to be pretty rapid......either way though they are both very tuneable and quick all round [8D]

If you've driven the 225 already, i'd safely say you won't like the 180, but then again it depends on what your lady likes

·
Registered
895 Posts
the merc badge in front is still a bit too "old man" stylie for me. you're quite right, this c coupe is indeed an acquired taste.

·
Registered
798 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by smallboy

the merc badge in front is still a bit too "old man" stylie for me. you're quite right, this c coupe is indeed an acquired taste.
Speak for yourself, would love a C32 AMG, fast as, if not faster than an E46 M3, best of all looks just like a cooking model if you pull the badges off.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Gimme an SL55 AMG oh yeh!!!

The 225 TT really goes, haven't driven the 180 but it's 45 bhp - it's gonna make a difference...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts