Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came to my car after work today and tried to open it using the key fob..... nothing !!

Tried locking it using the fob... nothing !

My car doesnt have locks on the doors so i had to climb in through the goddamn boot, and no one didnt see because my alarm was going off [:$]

Before this happened the range on the key was fine, it just suddenly stopped working.

The car also used to lock it self after 3 minuets and it doesn't do this...... so now i cant even lock my car with the alarm on !

Anyone expirenced this ?

My Amps, TV etc are such a target for some thieving bastad ! [:(]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its just standard VW alarm.

I haven't tried battery change (will tomorrow) but i dont think thats the problem as range was more than fine and now the car doesn't self lock [:|]

How long does the battery normally last and how can it be changed ?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If your keys are on your pocket and you lean on the button and it is pressed in for too long it can wipe the mem of the key apparently

This happened with my key when i first got the car

I was told to put the key in the ignition and leave it for a min before you start. apparently the ECU recodes your key to the alarm

thats only IF it was wiped and not the battery

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I get this all the time with my alarm, works fine then just seems to forget the code for unlocking it, What i do as stated in the owners manual is to unlock it manually in the lock then press the unlock or lock key on the keyfob (i unlock cos it just saves time) this process tells the car u have a key that works in the locks then pressing the button tells it u have the code to work the alarm and central locking as well and it sorts itself out. It does it every now and again, took a while to figure out how to do it but works every time. Never tried it with the boot lock though so im not sure if it works, this is the reason i havent delocked cos its a regular occurance for me. Hope this is of some help [:)]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna have to try the boot as i don't have locks on the door!

My car is just sitting outside, unlocked with no alarm on, quite worrying !

·
Registered
811 Posts
mine has done this twice now, i thought it was something to do with my dodgy passenger door lock, interesting, anyone know why it does it??

·
Registered
811 Posts
i havent got round to de-locking mine yet as so far on a few occasions ive had to use the key to open and lock the car, like when one of my fuses blew that does all the electrics, that happened twice and now the problem with the remote.

I cant open my boot with the key because when i bought the car, the lock on the boot looks like someone has jammed a screw driver in and my key wont go in, just never got round to changing the lock so because of that i cant de-lock it just incase lol.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you know what number the fuse was? As perhaps this is the result of my problems?

Seems like quite a few people have had issues with the locks [:(]

·
Registered
811 Posts
no i cant iam affraid, i know it was one of those very small ones tho, but my interior lights didnt work, my electric windows didnt work and the alarm and central locking wouldnt work either

·
Registered
211 Posts
A couple of my m8s have had this problem ive been told its nothing to do with the key fob, what it is is where you parked your car there must be a signal in that area which messes with the frequency to lock & unlock your car from the fob. This happened to me & my m8 a couple of weeks in Paris he couldnt lock his car with the remote he had to lock it manually. I could be wrong tho & the problem your having could be to with something else.  

·
Registered
811 Posts
A couple of my m8s have had this problem ive been told its nothing to do with the key fob, what it is is where you parked your car there must be a signal in that area which messes with the frequency to lock & unlock your car from the fob. This happened to me & my m8 a couple of weeks in Paris he couldnt lock his car with the remote he had to lock it manually. I could be wrong tho & the problem your having could be to with something else.
yes i did wonder this, but i thought i was being silly thats why i thought it might be the door lock, but on the 2 occasion that it has done this to me it was parked in the same road... wierd

·
Registered
813 Posts
This might sound stoopid......but here goes.

Try putting the plastic part of your fob under your chin - (touching
it) then try the buttons. This apparently is an old AA mans trick!

Basically when the battery dies....although it still may have some life
in it. It just uses your body as an antenna as it acts like an earth.

Someone tell me to shut up if they dont believe me!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont worry Eastman ur rite in what youre saying!! You can use any part of your head to 'boost' the signal of the remote Ive seen this on TV some where think it mightof been top gear!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts