Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone help me , I was going to put 2 subs on my parcel shelf ( I'am putting a sheet of MDF under it to support it ) .

Can anyone recomend good speakers and a good amp ( about 1000w should be fine).

Also I bought a power capacitor , whats the best way to wire all this up ??

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
OK firstly in my opinion DO NOT DO THE PARCEL SHELF idea......very wrong in all ways, if its space u want then a stealth box in the boot, small sealed enclosure, but plz dont do the shelf,

Id say keep the subs low budget for now, JBL's are decent budget subs at £40 and spend more on a good amp,

Nowadays amp prices are high so 2nd hand off Talkaudio.co.uk (Best place for bassnoobs as info very good and good lads on their). Ul get more wattage for your bucks and then itll stay with you when u get the bug and want to upgrade(BELIEVE ME when i say u willl get the BASSBUG).

A decent power supply is a must to keep amp fed nicely (mine had 2 stinger1700 in my wheel well and a can of tyre foam as no spare)

Also what type of music will you mainly be listening too?

remember this is just an opinion but do check out the website.....i did and ended up with 4 12" pioneer subs in a wall behind my back seats lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, the only reason I was going to do the shelf was to save boot space but thats out the window lol.

I was going to spend quite alot of money on my sounds ( I like my music).

Also I like rap n hip hop don't know if that sub and amp will be any good for my type of music Chris.

·
Registered
318 Posts
By all means spend my friend, have u got a set budget?

For hip-hop and RnB ul want something that will satisfy the low frequencies they give out, lil wayne, young jeezy belt out some stupid low notes thatll get the windows wobbleing lol...Orion hcca's are very rated as are USA speakers like FI Audio, Ascendant Audio, DC...all these subs are dominating the I.C.E subs and on TALKAUDIO.CO.UK you can see Y...many of these producing 150db+...... They dont come cheap tho, i paid £350 a sub [brick]

Next up will be another amp for your components and a good component set that will keep up with the bass....

Amps i can only recommend a US company called Sundowns, now they can be £500 for a amp but they UNDERATE these and in reality it gives out more than what the box claims, Very strong amps and uk distributer hasnt had one returned under warranty.

THIS is a very expensive hobby to get into but can also be achieved with budget stock.....im sure chris will back me up on this

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
I'd go for a 12 instead of a 10in sub which even though high excursion won't work as well in a car the size of a mk.4.

One thing I will say is forget about brands as every time we have this sort of topic come up someone will always say "Get brand X as I've got it in my car and I know you'll like it"[facepalm].This couldn't be further from the truth,I've heard cars with a small fortunes worth of high end famous names installed and they sounded truly awful.I'vs also heard cars with all budget gear fitted sound absolutely amazing/

More important than anything else is how it's installed and set up,the name written on it has about as much influence on sound quality as the colour of the speaker wire.

Chris.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Av seen 12" Orions hcca but thay are about £400 plus an amp to go with this, all together its close to £700 [:O] I wasn't lokking to spend that much tbh.

About £500ish is my buget, because I'll not have this car for long but at the same time I don't want crappy sounds, tbh I no matter what I get it needs to be wired up correct or its not worth a damm thing lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Av seen 12" Orion hcca but thay are about £400 plus a good amp to go with this, all together it's about £700 [:O] .

My buget is about £500ish because I won't have this car for that long but at the same time I don't want crappy sounds. Tbh no matter what I get I just need to make sure it is wired up correct or it's not worth a damm thing lol.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
You can take it all with you to whatever car you have next,so whatever you buy will be an investment that should be good for some time into the future.

Orion HCCAs are awesome subs but as you're already aware you do need a VERY good amp to get anywhere near the best from them.They also need a VERY solid and well built box to get them working properly.

Look at some of the cheaper JL subs,Alpine type Rs,Pioneer,JBLMTX,Kicker etc all of which do the sort of mid price stuff you're looking at,then spend about half ther budget on a monoblock to drive it.

Chris.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See if am only have 1 sub would I be best using a monoblock amp , and if I have 2 subs using 2 channel amp and so ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
It would be better to just get a monoblock still. If you wire the subs paraller then the ohm load halves (two 4ohms = 2ohm, two 2ohms = 1ohm) and the monoblocks often give more power at lower ohms. Double voice coil subs give more options on wiring. Just make sure you don't make a too small load (check the amps specs) or you run into problems.

Imagewerx seems to really know everything there is to know about these things so better wait for his opinion. I'd also like to know, is it even possible to get a working parcel shelf (freeair) subwoofer setup in a golf? How do you get everything sealed so that you don't get acoustic cancellation?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
See if am only have 1 sub would I be best using a monoblock amp , and if I have 2 subs using 2 channel amp and so ?
It can work,but isn't the best way.Monoblock amps are optimised to make bass and nothing else and running two subs from one monoblock will still sound better than running two of them from a very high powered two channeler.

Unless you're a real haradcore basshead then I'd say keep the system as simple as possible and have just the one good sub,and of course a set of good components in the front with a nice powerful two channel amp to drive them with.

Also unless you plan to spend a lot of money uprating the car's charging system,then there's no point putting a 6 kilowatt RMS JBL Crown amp in hooked up to an MTX Jackhammer sub if your 70 Amp alternator can barely make enough current to even do 1000 watts RMS.In case you don't how big one of these is........

Posted Image

(Sorry but just had to show that photo,always puts a [:D] on my face).

I'd also like to know, is it even possible to get a working parcel shelf (freeair) subwoofer setup in a golf? How do you get everything sealed so that you don't get acoustic cancellation?
To my ears freeair or I/B (Infinite Baflle) bass really is the most natural and musical sounding,more so than any boxed bass I've ever heard.Sounds good and works incredibly well in saloon cars and coupes but a LOT of work to get an absolutely perfect airtight seal between the boot and cabin in a hatchback car.

A friend of mine used to have a mk.2 Golf with a pair of 12in JBL I/B subs in the shelf that sounded unbelievably good.But to get that perfect seal he had to build a box right up to the outside walls of the boot where the shelf was the top hinged panel to the box and the inside walls of the box were also the amp rack.Effectively it was still a box,but the large volume of air behind the subs meant they were still operating under I/B conditions

Chris.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you know if a sub is freeair or if it needs a box to work best ?

Also if I had 2x 1000w subs I would use a 2000w monoblock amp for them ?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
How do you know if a sub is freeair or if it needs a box to work best ?
It'll tell you in the specs,most subs AREN'T freeair unless specified.It will also give optimum sealed and vented box sizes,but only if it works in both types of boxes as some are sealed only and some are vented only.If you read my link above to sub boxes it explains all this in as much detail as you'll ever need.

Also if I had 2x 1000w subs I would use a 2000w monoblock amp for them ?
That's the general idea,but as I said above unless you fit a bigger alternator yours can't provide enough current to let it produce anywhere near 2000 watts.At the very least you'll need to do TB3 (The Big 3) upgrade before you do anything else if you want this sort of power in your car.

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.php/topic/339540-best-way-to-do-the-big-3-on-a-mk4-golf/

Chris.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Chris you have helped me alot mate, am going to order 0 gauge wires and do TB3 first then sort out the subs.

What lenght of wire sould I order for my golf ?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Cheers Chris you have helped me alot mate, am going to order 0 gauge wires and do TB3 first then sort out the subs.

What lenght of wire sould I order for my golf ?
At least 5 metres,but 6 to be safe.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Will I use 0 gauge wire from my battery to my amp ?
0 gauge is good even if you don't need it now,but at least you're future proof.It doesn't need that size for TB3 though where 4 gauge will be thick enough.You're still need to uprate your alternator though,keep your eyes open for a 120 amper from a 4MO/Anni/R32 etc.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts