Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've been going back and forth the past few weeks, but today the price got sweeter so now I gotta shi*t or get off the pot once and for all - I've got a 2005 2.0tdi sport, very happy with the car - although not as happy as I use to be with the MKIV and i think its mainly due to the colour, I got the steel grey. Looks good in the sun, but most of the time I'm just finding it boring. I had 2 silver & 1 blue car before (all golfs). Also the interior of the golf (grey as well) isnt doing it for me, I have no real love for the car... I bought the grey tdi if for 2 reasons, had to get a 4 door first baby was on the way, and secondly was liking the torque from the 130bhp mkiv I had (chipped).

Now I've seen a few GTI's around in various colors and am smitten with the diamond black. I've gone to the local garage and ended up making a fairly good deal on it, they have a 4 door, basic spec (sunroof, armrest, 17" alloys, spots). I just cant seem to make up my mind, the big question is -

when you've got a MkV TDI 2.0 is it worth it to change to a MkV GTI 2.0????

Is it really going to make that big a difference to drive, ride, fun of the car? after all its basically the same interior, exterior look

A few questions for those who are still with me...

1. havent had a petrol for 3 years, worried am I gonna spend a fortune on fuel compaired to the diesel

2. If I did change are 18" alloys worth it? what I mean by this is am I better off getting other 18" or stick with the VW branded, do they stick out and kerb, hows the ride?

3. Will it hold its value better than the TDI??

4. Am I going to end up hating black, cause its so hard to keep clean?

Dog :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I've not got a GTI or TDI but here are my thoughts.

I too had a steel grey Golf (1 month, rejected it because of a fault) and went for metallic black instead on the replacement. I too felt the car looked lovely sometimes and drab at others. Diamond black looks great.

1. Should be easy to work out what it will cost you. There have been posts by GTI owners on fuel consumption, you hopefully could use those posts to work out what you'll get compared to your TDI.

2. For me (I've seen both on the GTI), the 17" are easily big enough in terms of looks. 18" wheels will be easier to kerb and offer a worse ride as well as being more expensive to replace the tyres.

3. Difficult one. A GTI will do well but then so will the TDI. The main thing with either I'd say is not to go overboard with options. Sunroof is one which will not be worth much (if anything) after a couple of year in a car with climate control.

4. No. Metallic black is not difficult to keep looking clean.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
1. havent had a petrol for 3 years, worried am I gonna spend a fortune on fuel compaired to the diesel

You WILL go to the garage more but 300 miles to a tank is possible - although my first tank I think I got 250 miles [:$].

2. If I did change are 18" alloys worth it? what I mean by this is am I better off getting other 18" or stick with the VW branded, do they stick out and kerb, hows the ride?

Sorry 17s owners... but they look cack compared to the 18s. They really finish off the car and the ride isn't any harsher in my opinion. 17s are also just as easy to kerb as 18s I think.

3. Will it hold its value better than the TDI??

I would imagine so yes - more sought after car and GTIs have always held their own pretty well.

4. Am I going to end up hating black, cause its so hard to keep clean?

Black isn't any harder to clean than any other colour it just gets dirty quicker.

The way they drive is totally different. There's just no comparison apart from there also being a nice wedge of torque. The power delivery is super smooth, engine note is fantastic for a 4 pot and it just does everything so well. I can't emphasise how good this car is. I can hand on heart say you will prefer the GTI a LOT MORE.

Just the point Kenl made about the roof - it's standard in ROI - Climate is not. You can lose the roof and get climate but it's a 1,000 extra.

GET ONE!!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Irish - do you mean 300 miles or 300 Klm's? I'm hoping its the latter..
He means 300miles I'm afraid, but for a petrol car as good as the GTI, that's pretty good.

He's wrong about the 17's though, they do not look cack!! They do more than a good job of filling the arches, they do however, look small in pictures so you have to compare the two in person to form a proper opinion.

The 18's look nice if that's your bag, but from my perspective I had to draw the line somewhere with cost and there were other options that were more important to me. Like someone else has side, they'll be easier to kerb and the tyres will cost more to replace, I'll doubt there'll be any difference in ride though. Horse's for courses as they say.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The 18" has rim protectors, I fail to see how a slightly bigger wheel will be easier to curb? Do you think that going from one high spec Golf to another will be a big enough difference to justify the outlay? Yes the GTI is exceptional, however, day to day is it that different? Have you driven one back to back with yours?

IMO 18" and Climate (no matter how expensive) are a must. I fail to see how ROI can sell cars this high up the market with air con of some kind. If you were to try to sell the car in the UK it would be impossible. It would be like selling the car without an engine.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
IMO 18" and Climate (no matter how expensive) are a must. I fail to see how ROI can sell cars this high up the market with air con of some kind.
It has aircon (climatic) but not climate control.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Milkfloat - Thats what I'm trying to decide - going from one high spec golf to another, will I see the difference? As for driving them back to back - yes I have, but I was taking it easy, not driving it like I drive my own.

Comments about the 18" alloys are welcomed, I think in person they look better than the 17's (no disrespect to the 17 owners) but it will come down to cost in the end, the dealer isnt willing to do anything on the price for these so its up to me....I'm trying to get my hands on a second hand set of the standard wheels ( I do not want to hand in my wheels, too feckin nice 18" Mak R-Action to hand over for nothin)

As for the spec, I cant choose if I want it now!

I'll have to make up my mind tomorrow and let you know..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well i had similiar concerns with my 1.6SE.

After driving the GTI i just want one. I know the difference is alot
less in you case with a nice spec GT, but i still think the GTI will
put a smile on your face!

Especially when it looks like you can pickup 40-50bhp extra with a remap!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i still think the GTI will put a smile on your face!

Especially when it looks like you can pickup 40-50bhp extra with a remap!
Yes indeed!

I've decided to go for it, just gotta decide - do I keep the alloys I have, or take the GTI 18's, what are peoples views on GTI's without the VW alloys? any pics yet? seems everyone thinks if you buy the GTI you keep the wheels, it would be like taking off the badge....or am I wrong?

1 last thing, are there 2006 interior differences? what should I look out for to tell me what year spec it is?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The GTI's 18"s definatly have a trademark look about them, very unique,
however i think a good set of alloys would give it a fresh different
look! (instead of looking the same as all other GTIS!)

I personally will just go with the 18"'s myself - they proven to look good, save me the headache of finding some decent alloys.

I would hate to put something so common as an rs4/rs6 on such a nice car. The alloys really would have to be good!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well for those who are interested, I've done the deal and I'll have the car prob on Wednesday!! Wooohooo!!

Diamond Black 5 door GTI, standard 17", sunroof

Very excited about it [:D][:D]

I'll miss the TDI, after I had her chipped the torque was fantastic - but this is prob the only chance I'll get to own a GTI, next car might have to be a family van!

For those GTI owners reading, anyone put on different alloy wheels than the standard?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Excellent.

Get the armrest, makes the car look much better as well as being useful.

Ditch the sunroof, a complete waste of money IMO [:O][:$] I had one in a car once and hardly ever used it. If anything they just make the car hotter and the wind buffeting with it open meant you never opened it over 30mph.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah its got an armrest, forgot to mention it [:)]

As for the sunroof, I cant decide on that - its standard on the Irish spec!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hahahaha no actually it rains all the time, its so we can wash [:p]

We get the normal air control (fan unit), but its not climate - thats about 1200 extra!! And with the one day of heat we get a year, I'd rather have the built in shower unit.

To change over its costing me 3,500 euro ... cant argue with that considering the dif between my TDI and the GTI if was buying new is 3k and I had the car for 9 months

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when you've got a MkV TDI 2.0 is it worth it to change to a MkV GTI 2.0????
I wasnt sure of the answer to this until I drove away from the garage....and the answer is yes [:D]

Its a completely different car, the handling, the looks, the engine. Differences I noticed in the first few mins:

1. Its almost silent when at traffic lights, but when you put the foot down the sound of the turbo is fantastic, even if shes parked and you rev it the sound of the engine is fantastic, and i forgot about how high you can rev the car and still have all that power she just keeps going!!! - The Tdi had a nice powerful engine sound, but it just didnt have that turbo hiss when she hits a certain rev., what I do miss is the head into the seat feeling from the TDI she had a lot of torque in the low part of the gears.

2. Seats - Completely different feel, they hold you so tight in the seat on corners.

3. Interior - With the black interior roof and sunglass holder etc it looks a lot better than the grey

4. Extras - The new extras on the GTI that were not on the sportline Tdi - Rain sensor wipers (still not sure about these), dimming rear view mirror, factory alarm (was having a lot of trouble with my last one which was a retro fit), bigger boot (space saver wheel makes a big dif), coming home lights (I like the way they come on when your turn off the alarm at night or early morning).. My personal Favorite - the seat belt alarm doesnt go off when you turn the key, instead it waits till you try go above a certain speed without your belt. Soooooooooooooo much better, I was ready to rip it out of the Tdi.

5. MPG - I've only had it 3 days, but the needle drops very quickly compaired to the diesel, here's hoping it only improves :)

6. Looks - She just looks mean!!

I'll post some pics soon (although she looks like all the other 5 door GTI's posted [:p])

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It has aircon (climatic) but not climate control.
Not in ROI.. just normal air fans !!

Dog I'll sell you my CHs if you like. On hols at the moment but PM me or something if interested.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts