Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother went out today and bought a Y Reg Golf with 58,000 miles on the clock.

I know very little about the 1.4 so there are a few things I need to know from people who have owned them:

1. The car has central locking (not remote) but it doesn't seem to unlock the boot. Should it not do this?

2. I assume that you can't but, seeing as it only has 1 key, is it possible to get a remote key to work with the car?

3. As it doesn't have remote locking, am I right to assume that he also won't be able to de-lock his car?

4. Can you guys with 1.4's check the mileage on the ECU with VAGCOM to see if it matches that of the speedo? For some reason, it won't let me.

That's all I can think of for now. Any help with these would be much appreciated.

Dean

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Dean

I will try and help you out

1. It should unlock the boot but if the boot has manually been locked then it will not automatically open it when you unlock the other doors.

2.I don't think you can but you can get another key cut and then i can reprogram it for you in VCDS.

3.You can if you get an alarm fitted with an external remote but if somthing goes wrong with the aftermarket alarm then you won't able to get into your car.

4.No i am not able to check it with my VCDS 10.6.3

Hope this Helps

Ismaiel

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dean

I will try and help you out

1. It should unlock the boot but if the boot has manually been locked then it will not automatically open it when you unlock the other doors.

2.I don't think you can but you can get another key cut and then i can reprogram it for you in VCDS.

3.You can if you get an alarm fitted with an external remote but if somthing goes wrong with the aftermarket alarm then you won't able to get into your car.

4.No i am not able to check it with my VCDS 10.6.3

Hope this Helps

Ismaiel
Thanks for the reply matey.

The boot unlocks when you put the key in it but no matter what position the boot lock is in, the central locking still will not open it. I don't think the catch is the problem so i'm not sure what else it could be.

I have VCDS matey, but thanks anyway. I'm trying to find a key but I can only seem to find ones that do not have transponders in them. I assume that a Y reg car has immo2 clocks in then so I can reprogram any key (with a new blade) to work with the immobiliser. Any ideas?

He won't want to spend any money on it so an aftermarket alarm is unlikely anyway. Cars without remotes are obviously quite vulnerable.

How do you go about checking the mileage on the ECU if you can't access that function?

Thanks again.

Dean

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link matey but I bought a VW one in the end for about £12. Very pleased with it but I can't seem to code it to the car because the immobiliser section of VCDS says "not available" when you try to s elect the relevant group.

I'm assuming that the 1.4 shouldn't be any different to other models and i've coded other keys before hand without any issues.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the link matey but I bought a VW one in the end for about £12. Very pleased with it but I can't seem to code it to the car because the immobiliser section of VCDS says "not available" when you try to s elect the relevant group.

I'm assuming that the 1.4 shouldn't be any different to other models and i've coded other keys before hand without any issues.

Any ideas?
Which version of VAG COM are you using?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My brother went out today and bought a Y Reg Golf with 58,000 miles on the clock.

I know very little about the 1.4 so there are a few things I need to know from people who have owned them:

1. The car has central locking (not remote) but it doesn't seem to unlock the boot. Should it not do this?

2. I assume that you can't but, seeing as it only has 1 key, is it possible to get a remote key to work with the car?

3. As it doesn't have remote locking, am I right to assume that he also won't be able to de-lock his car?

4. Can you guys with 1.4's check the mileage on the ECU with VAGCOM to see if it matches that of the speedo? For some reason, it won't let me.

That's all I can think of for now. Any help with these would be much appreciated.

Dean
Check the wires going from the boot lid to the main body of the car when its open (the rubber tubes at either end) they often get worn and snap.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Dean
Check the wires going from the boot lid to the main body of the car when its open (the rubber tubes at either end) they often get worn and snap.
Thanks for that matey. I will check the wires and see what they're like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts