Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

for a couple of months now when i get in the car in the morning to go to work and reverse of the drive there is a wierd noise cant really explain it

sounds like the caliper is not releasing the disc when the handbrake is off and makes a kinda high pitched woooooooo noise lol,looking at the calipers they do look in a right

s*it state to be honest is this a common problem,and is there a diy guide to stripping them etc or should i just new ones

here are some pics of my calipers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

also are all calipers the same for all mk4's or is it dependant on engine size as the mother inlaw has a tdi130 and this is a pic of her rear caliper

Posted Image

her caliper has ridges and the one on my 4mo dosent

any ideas?

cheers james

·
Registered
132 Posts
Piston wind back tool might sort that - just make sure you take the reservoir cap off first and be gentle - last thing you want to do is bust the seal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i had this problem all i did was get a syringe with some brake fluid in (this is after the pads are out etc) and put little bits inside the rubber seal and then get a chunk of square wood and work your pistons out but dont go really tight on the wood and then pull the back and repeat should free them up so they retract properly, worked on mine anyway so worth a try mate

james

·
Registered
166 Posts
make sure the calliper itself can move freely on the carrier. mine was doing this, so when i replaced the rear disks and pads (becuase you see the pad wasnt pressing evenly on the disk) i stripped the caliper off the carrier, cleaned the shafts up, Lithium greased and new dust seals on the caliper to make sure it was all smooth. Job done and problem solved. It takes a couple of hours to do mate, so might be worth a go

Charlie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replys,

where so i get dust seals from i was thinking while waiting for replys that i would take both calipers off and clean them up etc etc gives me an excuse to paint them.i take it i need a wind back tool to get the calipers off

·
Registered
166 Posts
nah to get the callipers off the carriers is a 14mm socket - the two bolts top and bottome on the back of the calliper. to wind the piston back is where youd need the tool. The dust seals i got from my mate who works at GSF, will try and find out the part number for you to save you the hassle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts