Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SINCE MY RE-MAP IM GETTING CLUTCH SLIP WHEN ITS COLD, ITS NOT TOO BAD BUT I THINK ITS GETTING WORSE.... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH AN UPGRADED CLUTCH IS LIKLEY TO SET ME BACK? AND HAS ANYONE GOT ANY RECOMENDATIONS RE BRANDS ECT... CHEERS FELLAS

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
SINCE MY RE-MAP IM GETTING CLUTCH SLIP WHEN ITS COLD, ITS NOT TOO BAD BUT I THINK ITS GETTING WORSE.... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH AN UPGRADED CLUTCH IS LIKLEY TO SET ME BACK? AND HAS ANYONE GOT ANY RECOMENDATIONS RE BRANDS ECT... CHEERS FELLAS
You need the Sachs uprated clutch. Loads of posts on here about it that you will be able to find with search function. Best bet for you is to contact JBS in Chesterfield I think you will be looking in the region of ?700 fitted.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Had mine done last weekend, that sachs clutch is spot on, bites slightly harder but basically feels OEM, JBS sold me mine, a mate fitted it for me, cost ?540 for parts, can definately recommend it. Still nice and progressive for hill starts n commuting etc.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Mine is doing the same but it's not so bad at the moment with the mild weather.

I'm having an uprated Sachs pressure plate fitted this weekend, along with a new OEM clutch disc and release bearing.

I'm reliably informed this setup can handle up to 350 lbs/ft and is obviously cheaper than the complete Sachs uprated kit which is only necessary if you drive the car extremely hard from a standing start.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I Paid ?550 for a sachs race clutch and lightened flywheel, suppiled and fitted from impossible perfomance in Rochester, Kent.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think i paid about ?500 for mine then ?100 to get it fitted - not cheap however resolves the problem.  Had mine installed for about 20k miles.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I Paid ?550 for a sachs race clutch and lightened flywheel, suppiled and fitted from impossible perfomance in Rochester, Kent.
?550 fitted sounds about right for parts but did they fit it for free?

I've spoke to them this morning and they do the full kit for ?521 inc VAT but does not include the release bearing which should be replaced with an OEM part anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts

I've spoke to them this morning and they do the full kit for ?521 inc VAT but does not include the release bearing which should be replaced with an OEM part anyway.
nope, they did the clutch kit for ?450 and fitted it for ?100

·
Registered
2,990 Posts

How long ago was that mate if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
238 Posts

How long ago was that mate if you don't mind me asking?
11th Jan 2005

they have it on offer on the website for ?450, not sure if fitting price has gone up but i cant see it being much different.

·
Registered
238 Posts
isn't that for a 5 speed petrol though? Looking at your sig.
yup...

who did your 130PD remap? my other car is an Audi A4 1.9TDI 130PD and those figures you have look very tasty.....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It was done by Chipped UK, cost me ?250, theres a lot of people that doubt the torque rating but my mate had his done a month after mine, both same car n year n mileage (37k) and both clutches started slipping within 3 days, when my clutch was taken out there was no wear or glazing at all, indicating it was simply the amount of torque which either pressure plate or clutch face couldn't hande.

I would guess its at least 300ft/lb of torque regardless of rolling road, but on the real road the torqe is immense, it is very very quick in 3rd n 4th gear, can recommend it to anyone, don't know about clutch situation on A4s, might b worth checking on some audi forums not sure if its the same box with it being a longitudinal engine.

Fuel economy is still good and it puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. nuff said really.

Also saw off a 530D on my private road.....[^o)] and kept up with a 225 tt (he was accelerating away but just edging really not making any real headway)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers everyone. SEM how much is your pressure plate going to set you back as with christmas coming up and all I am pretty skint...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Fellas sorry for hijacking but on friday i also got my car chippeduk'd. Its now got 270Ibft torque and now i notice when i change gear i get just a tiny tiny bit of hesitation. Now does "clutch slip" occure when you change gear say into 4th lift off the clutch on with the gas and the car is still trying to rev as if the clutch is still down? mine just gives a little jerk every now and again when i go to change gear. Please could someone clear this up for me and any suggestions what could be wrong!

Carl [:D]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Well I had mine fitted at the weekend and I can't believe what a difference it's made.

First thing I noticed was how much lower the biting point is, gear change is much smoother now and that nasty whining noise from the release bearing has gone!

The car absolutely flys now, the clutch must have been suffering minor slip for a while without me even realising [:S]

The horrible wheel hopping has also been sorted out [:)]

I was getting major slip when booting it in 5th gear at around 2000 RPM, this kinda resolved itself a couple of days before my new clutch was fitted so I was wondering if I was doing the right thing...

So glad I got it done now though, it has made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Fellas sorry for hijacking but on friday i also got my car chippeduk'd. Its now got 270Ibft torque and now i notice when i change gear i get just a tiny tiny bit of hesitation. Now does "clutch slip" occure when you change gear say into 4th lift off the clutch on with the gas and the car is still trying to rev as if the clutch is still down? mine just gives a little jerk every now and again when i go to change gear. Please could someone clear this up for me and any suggestions what could be wrong!

Carl [:D]
mine is doing the same mate i have recently had mine remapped at chippeduk and mine does it in 5th also when i start accelerating at 70 and then back off the throttle it jerks a little , but also i have a cold air induction kit and i can hear the standard bosch diverter valve dumping and some times it is chattering rather than a whoosh so i think the standard dv is leaking boost and i think that may be the prob , what diverter valve are you using carl?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts