Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as a lot of you will know i have a TDI, but i am looking to change from the turned down stock pipes (dual) to a single tip like that on the Petrol Anni. I know this is silly, but i would like to know what options i have. Here is the brief:

I CAN'T change the exhaust system due to restrictions to my insurance policy, so has to be clip on , weld on tip. (HP increase is not allowed on Insurance)

I don't want the black smoke/dust up the rear of the car, but believe this is unavoidable, am i wrong?

What do you recommend and where can it be had?

Thank you [:D] M

Piccy fo clickys

Posted Image

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have got the VW RACING/SEBRING twin pipe exhaust and i have also got uprated injectors

and REVO Remap it does smoke a little on full boost BUT no dust on the rear bumper.

I would go for it.

jooltdi

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this a full system? only need the tip if that is possible, remember insurance. I saw one of the guys with a Leon Has the Cupra TDI exhaust, which is visible, looks good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
No that was only a back box.

If your after just tips try foxy's site he will show you what you need

to just change over the tips.

Or if you don't what to do the work yourself do you have a Longlife exhaust garage over there.

to just change the tips but remember you will have to change the rear valance as well.

joolstdi

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jools, whats Foxy's site address?

I think the tip will be easy to find, the problem will be getting the twin pipes cut and a bracket to make it a single exit, or would a backbox do this without my insurance coverage?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
In the past two weeks I have gone from twin tips to twin down-turned to single tip today.  All done by a decent exhaust fitter who actually makes exhaust systems as opposed to just fitting standard ones.  It's not difficult if the guy knows what he's doing.  If you want any more details feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I thought diesels never gained any bhp.. when adding an exhaust.. or am i confused with something else... also on another note a back box by itself will never give you more than 1-2 bhp if your lucky so why not try telling your insurers that.. if they dont believe you say to them are you willing to pay for a RR with and without the backbox so i can prove my point??

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info chaps
Beer
Maybe a back box will be Ok, but i'd rather keep it to small parts, but we'' wait and se what happens. i know someone in a fabricators that said he could make the bracketfrom twin to single pipe for free, and the tip only costs ?20, and he would weld the whole thing, but i'll wait and see

Pope you have a PM (there's a sentence i never thought i'd say)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Righ, i've got the attachment and tip sorted, now i have recieved some uneducated information that i would like to confirm/dispell.

If i change the exhaust tip from turned down to straight, will it fail MOT?

This is what i have been told by some mates, but i can't see how. All i have done is change the direction in which the fumes a blown out from downwards to horizontally. None of the main structure of the exhaust has changed nor has anything been removed from the original system bar 2 inches of the end of the exit pipes.

WELP!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Markus, glad to hear you've made progress already. I don't know for sure but I agree with you, I cannot see why doing that should cause an MOT failure.  What reason did your mates give?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts