Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, looking for a new suit foe Christmas time and that but i dont no what to go for.

Any ideas of where to get one?? Im thinking of an Armani one as they seem pretty nice. What do you guys think?? Just really want a plain black one.

Andy

·
Registered
890 Posts
A high-street shop called Slater's (found in most large towns/cities) have a very good s election with top names at reduced prices and they fit you properly rather than just let you try on. As far as i know, they're adjustment services are included in the price as well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Im really into my suits and can give you the following;

Armani - over priced for what they are - ok usually a lovely cut but you can get much better if you look elsewhere.
Ted Baker - To be fair, probably one of the best suits in the highstreet and very good value for money
Next Suits - OK for cheapness if you want to wear the same suit as most of the office - Thats one reason I wont buy one.

What sort of budget do you have to spend? As your quoting Armani I imagine you want to spend a bit of money?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I don't know where abouts your from but in brum city shopping centre theres this designer place called estilo's and the suits they design look stunning.. they're around £250 for a nice suit.. and they do all sorts of styles.. flash/smart etc.... they have a nice s election of shoes and belts aswell [:D]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will agree on the Ted Baker suits, its what i wear and they do a couple of ranges.

The undurance range is what i wear daily as they are thicker and cheaper and wear well if you wear them alot so no shiny patches.

However i also have a few "slim jims" which are slim fit suits (not just for skinny people just well fitted) and they are much finer material softer but i wouldnt wear as a daily because it would wear through.

But sounds like you are going for a special ocassion suit so go for one of those. They are around £350 so not bad price either. Armani are overpriced and they arent a suit maker in particular. For that price range you cant go wrong with Hugo Boss and House of Fraser often do 30% off days and that makes a £600 hugo suit £400 which is when i bought one.

Good luck in your hunt

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have 3 Hugo Boss Suits, 2 of them tailored, and none of them cost me over £400.

Keep an eye out of the deals like the house of fraser, but also find out when boss stores are having a sale - the Bluewater Boss shop in Kent does exceptional deals so Im guessing most of the others will too.

Cant go wrong with a Hugo, for daily wear or for special occ's

·
Registered
942 Posts
I don't know where abouts your from but in brum city shopping centre theres this designer place called estilo's and the suits they design look stunning.. they're around £250 for a nice suit.. and they do all sorts of styles.. flash/smart etc.... they have a nice s election of shoes and belts aswell [:D]

Sat [y]
Where's Estilo's matey?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Depends what the occassion is and how much you wanna spend.for me
No.1 is Paul Smith with some minor alterations.......then maybe some
makes form Saville row.......(quite reasonable if you go for youger
range suits)

However if your on a budget and looking for a decent cut
suit......then TOPMAN (!!!!) actually do some good fitted ones. London
store always got good s election....

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ted baker endurance... Ideal

However i would go for a Reece (SP) they are really nice and well cut, Not sheap and they are much more hardy than they appear.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I would not go for next suits, they're material is appalling! Creases up and is a pain in the rear! As others have suggested, the ted baker endurance range is a good choice. [Y]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts

Sat [y]
Where's Estilo's matey?
Its in the pallisades (sp) its past the jjb and past the pound shop lol... and it'll ne on the left hand side..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers for the advice guys - im from Glasgow n looking to spend about £300ish. Just really for wearing to some parties / birthdays between now and xmas and then for wearing every now and then. Just want something black and plain really but want it to look good.

Andy

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I baught a black with a satin effect on it from ciro citterio about a yr ago.. and that was the best fitting suit i've got and only cost about 150 but i dont think ciro citterio are still in business as all the outlets have closed in birmingham..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought a suit from ciro citterio - the worse I've ever bought for £150. Trousers fell apart after 6 months.

2 yrs ago I paid £275 for a Pierre Cardin - good quality and excellent fit & still going strong

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Whatever you decide to buy make sure you have it tailored, doesn't matter how much your suit cost if it doesn't fit it is going to look cr4p.

I have no idea what shape/size the off the peg suits are designed for but they don't see to actually fit nayone.

If the shop your buying from doesn't offer a fitting service ask around as there's bound to be a local dress maker near you who can alter it for little cost.

I have to have all my suits, shirts tailored and the additional cost is minimal. I use a local dressmaker who works from home, cash in hand. She always does a brilliant job and turns the clothes round really quickly.

J.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
TBH mate, most designer suits, i.e. Armani, etc. are all mass made.  For the same kind of money you can get a made to measure suit in a style that you want to your exact specification.  My dad has just recently retired after being in the rag trade for 47 years and he swears by bespoke tailoring.  I was like yourself, wanted Armani, Boss, etc. until my dad got me a suit made to measure and what a difference, the cut, cloth, traditional methods like hand stitched edges, kissing buttons, real cuffs etc. everything just feels so right and you feel better about yourself wearing something that is a "one off".  You can tell a good made to measure suit, if you look at the suits Ant & Dec wear the fit is spot on.  Would definately recommend made to measure and it will cost you roughly the same as your Armani creation.  I see you're from Glasgow, my dad and I were thinking of setting up our own bespoke tailoring company, buts its kinda fell by the wayside, pity, I could have sold you a suit lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts