Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I?just?noticed that my driver's door looks like it's been hit by a scooter or motorcycle wheel. ?It's fairly low down?(bottom?third) and irregularly caved in. ?I doubt it's repairable by any paintless dent remover so I might need a new door panel. ?Any idea how much this might cost just for driver's door panel excluding spraying & fitting?

Wishing everyone a happy and successful new year.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
sounds like you need to find a breakers by your area mate. not sure how much ?50 maybe more for just the bare door shell. theres sometimes mk4's being breaken on ebay ask them how much they would want that will give you a price or like i said just get in touch with a breakers.

is it really that bad mate?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Probably not want you want to hear, but I had to have new door after an accident as VW don't do the door skin as a separate item on the Mk IV. All in I think it was ?1500 as due to it being pearlesent paint they had to spray the whole side of the car. Although to be fair my door was quite badly damaged and needed replacing due the protective bars being bent.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies on NY's eve!  The damage isn't THAT bad, it was most likely just a low speed collision.  Because it's quite low down and there's no paint damage I'm sure the average joe wouldn't even notice it unless I pointed it out.  So I would like to get it fixed but not at great expense.  My paint is pearlesent too and having the whole side of the car sprayed seems too drastic (and expensive!) to me.  I'll show it to a PDR guy in case it's repairable.  If not then I'll just have to live with it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
good luck and let us know how you get on.

new year is nothing to me. i dont like it lol. sad aint it. never celibrated it.

but happy new year anyway lol

gray

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that PDR guys can doo dents etc in the middle of the panels, but it might be worth a try.
I've seen small dents being taken out of the middle of a door so it's possible in experienced hands. On the other hand I recently tried Dent Devils in Cardiff and the guy made some of the dents worse! If I've no luck with PDR may be a body shop could remove the skin and hammer it out from the inside? Just thinking out loud as I've more or less given up on the new door idea. Even if I get a cheap skin from a breakers I can't afford having the whole side resprayed. If I just get the door sprayed then the likely colour mismatch is going to be more annoying than the dent.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good luck and let us know how you get on.

new year is nothing to me. i dont like it lol. sad aint it. never celibrated it.

gray
I'm not keen on new years either. Don't see the point of celebraing it really!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't think that PDR guys can doo dents etc in the middle of the panels, but it might be worth a try.
If not then may be a body shop could remove the skin and hammer it out from the inside? Just thinking out loud as I've more or less given up on the new door idea. Even if I get a cheap skin from a breakers I can't afford having the whole side resprayed. If I just get the door sprayed then the likely colour mismatch is going to be more annoying than the dent.
Seperate door skins are not available for the mk IV.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
yeh same here iv had a good year and hope the best for everone but its an exuse to get peed up and every one acts the prat at 12am lol...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seperate door skins are not available for the mk IV.
I see. I thought you just meant VW doesn't sell it separately. Do you mean it's all integrated and can't be taken apart? Happy new year, in case you're celebrating it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it's the drivers door in metallic green. I'll be in Cardiff next week perhaps you could take a look and tell me if you think it's repairable by PDR? Whereabouts in Wales are you? BTW your car looks gorgeous. [Y]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
i am in haverfordwest about 100 miles west of cardif so not that far

if you wanted to come here i could fit the door here in about 2 hours and then you could drive home and then get it paintd

save you having to transport a door al the way home?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
or i could get the door painted and ready for you and then fit the door?

get some pics of your door up and i will tell you if it can be done or not[;)]

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just took another good look at it and it's no where near as bad as my initial impression.  Not bad enough to warrant a door replacement + respray.  And it's wasn't a scooter either, more likely a low bumper because the pushed in area is wider than it is tall.  Pic to follow shortly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Posted Image

You can see from the reflection of the white line that there's an area approx 30cm wide that's pushed in and irregular, extending to the front wing.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
from what i can see the door is not that bad a could be fixed "COULD"

depends if there are any dent tecs in your aera that would take it on[:^)] most will not look at things like that as the amount that they would charge would not be worth the amount of time it would take them

ok i am not blowing my own trumpet here but if you think there were 19 companys that turned this job down because they said it could not be done

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and yup i spent 1 full week on this car and there was not a single pannel painted not for the fact that i cashed nearly 4 grand for doing it but for the simple fact that they said it could not be done[H]

so the answer to your question is YES i "COULD" fix this

Andy

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
yes i have seen alot worse than your car door been done by a pdr guy.not as bad as i thought.

wow what happend to that car mate was it weather or perpose damaged? there was a car at work that had hundreds of hail stone dents all over and that pdr guy fixed it all up...did you go to another country to fix it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Posted Image

Another angle which also shows a ~20cm horizontal 'ridge' (if that's the right word) just above the strip.

There's an old 'chip' higher up which I'm going to touch up.

What do you think? Is it repairable by being 'massaged' from the inside?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts