Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order a rear ARB today and i'm not sure what to go for.

I'll be keeping the OEM Anniversary front ARB which I believe is 22mm.

So what size rear bar would work best with this, the options are a 22mm H&R or a 25mm Eibach.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I need to order a rear ARB today and i'm not sure what to go for.

I'll be keeping the OEM Anniversary front ARB which I believe is 22mm.

So what size rear bar would work best with this, the options are a 22mm H&R or a 25mm Eibach.
I thought the later Golf like yours have 23mm front ARB and the early ones have a 21mm. Sem go and buy a rear whiteline ARB, you will not be disappointed. Whiteline provide very good after sales service.. I bought the front whiteline ARB from BalanceMotorsport, mention my name to Julian and the forum, he'll look after you..

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the Whiteline?

I have to say the way it fits looks very strange [:S]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I had the 28mm Neuspeed rear on mine (middle setting).  I did not find it too harsh at all.  For  a keen driver, I would suggest a thick bar.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Do you have the Whiteline?

I have to say the way it fits looks very strange [:S]
I've got front fitted at the moment, need to order the rear ARB, do a search on forum. There's a few members with the rear ARB from whiteline. I think the whiteline rear ARB is only 22mm, its around ?123.50 inc last time I looked.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I understand the MK4 benefits from a larger rear ARB so a 22R and 23F will cause oversteer.

I need this confirming though!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The tigheter the rear, the more likely you are to get oversteer.  I only managed it once with my thick bar on.  Perhaps I was not trying hard enough.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've got the Whiteline 22mm rear ARB fitted on my car and left the stock (23mm) ARB on the front.

I find this setup really good - understeer is greatly reduced. [Y]

The H&R ARB looks like it is better manufactured though - and unlike the Whiteline it's not visiible to the car following behind you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
From what I understand the MK4 benefits from a larger rear ARB so a 22R and 23F will cause oversteer.

I need this confirming though!
The first part of your statement is correct but the oversteer comment isn't. My V5 has a 23mm front bar as standard and understeered badly. Adding the Whiteline rear adjustable 22mm bar on medium-soft setting eliminated the understeer without causing oversteer. It's when you go for a thicker (i.e. stiffer) rear bar that you start getting oversteer. The 22mm Whiteline bar is roughly equivalent in stiffness to a 25mm Neuspeed bar because the Whiteline is shorter. Both Whiteline and Neuspeed bars are adjustable which means you can easily tune it to reduce/increase understeer or oversteer to achieve neutrality.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a 23mm R32 front bar and 28mm Neuspeed rear ( Hardest setting) on mine.. rock solid! Sharp turn in and the rear feels glued..

Scott

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a 23mm R32 front bar and 28mm Neuspeed rear ( Hardest setting) on mine.. rock solid! Sharp turn in and the rear feels glued..

Scott
I think the R32 front bar is stiffer than the standard 21 or 23mm bars, so the thick 28mm Neuspeed is probably needed to give the right balance. With a standard front bar, I think a 28mm rear ARB may be too stiff and would cause excessive tail-happiness.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Gotta agree with Scott on this. Running 25 front, 28 rear ABD's and the difference is unreal. Actually makes the golf go round corners, something its fat, outdated rear beam set-up cannot achieve by itself. Speak to as many people as you can. Mates got whiteline on his EVO and can't fault them.

Gadge

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You cannot judge the stiffness of an arb by diameter alone (unless you are using front and rear from same manufacturer, I pressume), the hardness of material could easily make a ?21mm stiffer than a ?25mm etc.

I personally hav ea whitline adjustable fitted on the softest setting at the moment, until the road conditions change I will not experiment with it, as I am after repeatability to ensure its predictable.

On the softest setting it has certainly improved turn in, however had coilovers fitted at the same time, so some of the handling improvement must be down to the coillies.

John

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I have a Neuspeed 28mm on the rear on the middle setting. It's made a huge difference to handling and definately recommended. They're all going to do a fairly similar job I'd imagine. Also I've not managed to induce any oversteer either.

·
Registered
216 Posts
nice to hear neuspeed rear anti rollbar get a good recomendation

having just ordererd one from jabba sport i belive its the 25mm adjustable one

what are thy like to fit if any ones done one?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Piece of cake to fit.  Took me about 30 minutes without even jacking the car up.  Mind you it wasn't lowered then.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the H&R 22mm rear in the end, couldn't really say no at the price it was offered to me [;)]

I also did not want an ARB that was visible from the rear - I have driven behind a Golf MK4 with an Eibach rear and could see the dirty big red bar! The H&R is black so nice and discreet...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts