Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sorry for hijacking your thread - im clueless on exhaust systems! anyway my question is for better performance and decent sound, what will i need? Ive got a gttdi 130. Would welding piping instead a cat, or a decat pipe be better for performance? And of course a decent backbox. Any advice please?!

·
Registered
819 Posts
As you said pal de-Catt and a decent back box Will gain better performance and sound

Getting the down pipe and decatt together would be a better option as then its a bigger diameter bore from the turbo (less restrictive )

I've emailed hot tunning they said they should be getting them i'n within the next couple of weeks

·
Registered
504 Posts
decat and larger downpipe is defiantly worth it i went for a full miltek system on mine decat downpipe and non res cat back system. slight power increase turbo spools much better and you can really hear it whistle. the car sounds great quiet when driving normally but a nice burble when you put your foot down. not forgetting the owl/pigeon noise which i personally love!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
When I had my first TDi I read somewhere that it was researched and therefore designed on the Milltek downpipe so that the elbow from the turbo was the original diameter and then after the flexi part of the pipe, became a bigger bore. I think it was something to do with keeping the airflow speed up on the first big bend and then allowing the air space to exit the car. Sounded reasonable at the time to me, plus it means that access to the downpipe to turbo nuts wasn't any more difficult when fitting the downpipe.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
When I had my first TDi I read somewhere that it was researched and therefore designed on the Milltek downpipe so that the elbow from the turbo was the original diameter and then after the flexi part of the pipe, became a bigger bore. I think it was something to do with keeping the airflow speed up on the first big bend and then allowing the air space to exit the car. Sounded reasonable at the time to me, plus it means that access to the downpipe to turbo nuts wasn't any more difficult when fitting the downpipe.
What was?[:cool:]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.