Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to fill up with optimax today and decided to drive like a granny to see what mpg i cold achieve home, got 39mpg which i thought was excellent for a modded 1.8t!

I won't mention the 14 miles to ?5 (just to get me to the next town where you can by optimax) I got just before that [:I]

Whats your record in a 1.8t? Don't get me wrong i'll probably never drive like that again to achieve it but i thought it was rather good!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by Foxy on 12/10/2004 23:48:47

I assume you're liking mike's car then matey!!

Had a few niggles but she's getting there! [:D] Will have to get an pdated members ride on the go.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I managed to get the MPG figure upto 46MPG whilst on a short break in Devon. I was having to drive over 18miles at 35-40mph though, with no chance of overtaking. It near killed me!! Why do people in Devon drive so slow??

·
Registered
221 Posts
I once got my ibiza to 47mpg on the way back from Bridlington.

It was a constant line of traffic going at 50mph for about 70 miles though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The highest I've ever had in the V6 is 37.6mpg driving 30-odd miles home from work with the petrol light on and the fuel gauge firmly planted in the red. I'm sure when I got to the petrol station I was running on fumes!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Managed 40mpg on a crusing Motorway journey. Doin about 55mph average.

I was well chuffed. Its too tempting to boost the turbo when the roads open though!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If your car got 39 per the MFA reading in the car, that is fairly impressive on a 18T, unless you have a 4 bar FPR, (from memory I think you have??) . In which case it is over reading some 18% approx, so you were really only getting about 31mpg, driving like a granny!!

I found this after fitting my K03 sport, was real chuffed to be getting over 40 on the MFA going up to Aberdeen at 70 odd. But it still ran out after 300 miles.....could not understand it at first.....!!LOL

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by simch on 13/10/2004 15:26:21

If your car got 39 per the MFA reading in the car, that is fairly impressive on a 18T, unless you have a 4 bar FPR, (from memory I think you have??) . In which case it is over reading some 18% approx, so you were really only getting about 31mpg, driving like a granny!!

I found this after fitting my K03 sport, was real chuffed to be getting over 40 on the MFA going up to Aberdeen at 70 odd. But it still ran out after 300 miles.....could not understand it at first.....!!LOL

No 4 bar FPR i think, is there anyway i can tell?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Jabba should know, as their map will be totally different for a 4 bar. If you have the three bar FPR, it may be worth thinking of an upgrade, tends to make the car crisper and a bit more torquey I believe. But it does fool the MFA!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Bloody hell, I think my car needs seeing too!

I can only get around 35 in my 2.0 max at the moment.

I think my record was 41.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got 45 on a gentle run between Keswick & Carlisle at an avg speed of 60. It's stopping and starting which kills the economy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts