Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I treated myself to somthing that ive wanted for ages.....

A GPS portable sat nav system.

After a bit of reserch I went for the "Navman 510" as it came well recommended.

I got it from Halfords for ?399 (strange for halford to be cheap)

Anyway got it home and set it up as per the instructions.

First I tryed to set my destination by using post codes, I must have tryed 30+ and it didnt recognize any of them..!

So then I tryed street names, It hadnt heard of my street or several others that I tryed??

Eventually It recognized a street name that I had give it, (nothing tricky just a 10min drive across the back of scarborough.)

So I set off in the golf and for the first couple of turns it was ok but as I approched a roundabout the sat nav hadnt got that far and didnt give me any instructions

Then a bit down the road it told me to turn left at the roundabout (which was completley the wrong direction) so as it was only a test I followed its instructions.

As it led me on a propper merry dance across scarborough before annonceing that I had arrived at my destination????

Which I haddent..!!

Then it turned all the maps off and refused to work anymore after that.......

So I showed it the way back to halfords for a full refund.

Has anyone else had problems with there navman?? Or was mine just a random faulty unit?? Im disapointed and considering one of the other make maybe TOM TOM.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
TOm Tom is in my opinion the best out there and that is proven by by some of the cheapo systems that use it, if you invest a a good gps and use tomtom it is by far and away the best. If i were you get a tomtom go, it will also give you the added funcionality of a speedcamera database

·
Registered
643 Posts
Tom Tom is excellent - I bought the HP bundle which is an IPAQ RZ1710 and a special version of Tom Tom along with the wired GPS receiver and Tom Tom windscreen mount. I also purchased a 512mb SD card. Total cost was just over ?300 inc delivery. I've since bought Tom Tom 3 separately off Ebay for another ?50. Have also added in speed camera database along with a few other extras. If you want more info, try http://www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk - very useful site (also where you can get the speed camera database). FYI - Tom Tom are releasing Tom Tom 5 in May/June I think. Some roads are missing off Tom Tom 3 like the M6 Toll, but hopefully the update in May/June will add this (and other roads) in. I find it very useful - sometimes the routes are a bit round the houses, but on the whole it's done the job well so far.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Tom Tom 3 + 512MB memory card + Mitac Mio 168 = perfection. The Mio 168 has a built in GPS aerial so there are no extra wires to clutter up your dash or bluetooth dongles which need batteries changing.

As well as GPS navigation I watch full length movies on my Mio 168, syncronise the office Outlook, listen to MP3s, read newspapers (using AvantGo) etc...

Its the best ?250 I've ever spent.

Carlos

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi mate, sorry to hear that about ur navman. My whole family uses various models and we never seem to have any problems (touch wood, gotta go to jbs 2mo). Mabey you had some faulty software. You should have rang the navman helpline. There an EXCELLENT service and will tell you how to sort out any problem!!!

Ive got the navman pin as does hudson & it really is a great little unit. For me its perfect as im at uni and need the pda part as much as the nav!

Good luck & if you need that number pm me & i'll dig it up.

YOGi

·
Registered
794 Posts
I;ve got a C500 phone with TOM TOM and its amazing.

Get the phone for Pay as you go ?120 and the software including a bluetooth GPS. The unit is so powerful I place it inside the ashtray and its still tracking the sats.

The tomtom on the phone has traffic and will reroute you if you want. But the traffic costs ?45 for the year and uses the phones GPRS connection but works well.

I had the tomtom on a PDA but its alittle pain having to take it in/out of the caddle each time you leave the car.

With the phone I take it with me everywhere.

You can also use the bluetooth carkit, so when the phone rings the tomtom still works but doesnt speak on displays the direction.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Quote: posted by curley on 09/04/2005 20:50:08

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/501_250511.html

is this the same one you have simch??

Yep that's it, good price there too. The Go is so easy to use even my missus can use it!! Great add ons for free too, speed camera dbase with audible warnig and distance countdown, Macc ds, little thiefs, all the supermarkets!! There are loads of free POIs you can add! And great to swap car to car.

Can't really fault it, so much better/ more reliable that the Ipaq I had with bluetooth Tom tom!! Nevr seemed to work relaible that receiver!

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you're going to get a TomTom GO I would hang on a bit until towards the end of the month as there are some new models coming out. The new top of the range model has a built-in hard drive for the maps and Bluetooth for connection to you BT phone to give you hamds-free!

Certainly worth waiting a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The ONLY slight niggle i have about my Tom Tom is, that you can't enter an address entirely by postcode, which would really be the best option to have because as i've found out recently, if you don't have the exact street name or place available on the list, then you can't really get to where you're going because it's technically not there according to Tom Tom.

So what are you supposed to do exactly if where you want's not on the list? [:(]

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Navman and TomTom use the same mapping (TeleAtlas), so you will not get better destination finding or more accurate routes by switching to TomTom. The difference between the Navman and TomTom will be purely in the userinterface and features offered. One product I can recomend is the Garmin C320 which is brand new to the market http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2599.html

This uses NAVTEQ mapping which is of a higher qulaity. However, you will not be able to add speed cameras with this unit, but you do get mapping for the whole of Europe. BTW I work for NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas are our rivals, but I still think our product is better, it is just more expensive. After all 9 / 10 in Car Systems Worldwide are powered by NAVTEQ.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote: posted by RJH on 10/04/2005 18:31:15

The ONLY slight niggle i have about my Tom Tom is, that you can't enter an address entirely by postcode, which would really be the best option to have because as i've found out recently, if you don't have the exact street name or place available on the list, then you can't really get to where you're going because it's technically not there according to Tom Tom.

So what are you supposed to do exactly if where you want's not on the list? [:(]

There is supposed to be an update for this towards the end of the month for the 'GO'.

* EDIT *

The upgrade is available to download now but doesn't include full postcode search! [:(] Will be available at a later date with new maps though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.