Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually do about 400miles on a full tank of petrol. And I make sure I always fill up when I've almost used all of it.

Well yesterday I came off the motorway to go and get petrol. I had done 400 miles as I got to the roundabout at the bottom of the slip round. The petrol station was about 700 yards away.

I turned the corner towards the petrol station and the revs wouldnt go over a certain amount. So Im coasting along on a dual carriage way, hazards on, cars whizzing by and I was only 300 yards away.

Then the engine cuts out and I couldnt start it again.

So I swearing and fuming at my own stupidity.

I pull over as far as I could, but abot a 1/4 of my car is still in the inside lane with cars still flashing past.

So I legged it across the carriage way, through the bushes to the petrol station! Buy a jerry can and petrol and legged it back, fearing for my drivers side mirror, thinking it will get smashed off.

So get back to the car and the petrol cap is pointing towards the roas isnt it!

Cant stand behind the car to fill it up as I would block the hazards. So I pressed myself as close as I could to the car and fill it up. Lorries flying by making me wee wee myself!!

Anyway, filled it up and jumped in. Started again no problem!! WOO HOO!!

And was on my merry way again.

G/f wasnt pleased as i was late for the Nativity Play her school was doing where she's a teacher. Also I stank of petrol!! Ah well!!

So what happened? I've heard of a Safe Mode kicking in, is that what happened? Stops me from knackering the car? Cant rev over a limit and the engine dies so I cant start it again?

Well, if it is, I love it!!! Ingenious!!

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Iain

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
A trick I've used in the past, in this situation, though not in a Golf, is to "wind" the car along, using the starter motor in 1st gear. Anyone know any reason why you shouldn't do this in a Golf, in an emergency such as Ian's?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by talk-torque on 10/12/2004 13:02:52

A trick I've used in the past, in this situation, though not in a Golf, is to "wind" the car along, using the starter motor in 1st gear. Anyone know any reason why you shouldn't do this in a Golf, in an emergency such as Ian's?

Yeah, I did that in my Corsa before!

Do you know why or are you just asking?!! Cos I dont!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Sorry, but what a PLONKER! [:D]

When did your idiot (ahem) light come on? Been interested to know how much the car has got after the light comes on, but would never risk what you did!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have used the starter motor to bump myself of a roundabout once to get out of danger. TBH I don't think you should do this very often as moving a ton and a half of car is not eaxctly what it was designed for.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell it like it is Cat!! LOL!! I know (Hangs head in shame...)

Light came on on the way to work in the morning, thats why I wasnt too worried.

I have read in the manual that the reserve is 7 Litres.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ian

You must have pockets stuffed with money!!!!!!

Stealers love people like you running your car to see how far you can go before refueling and sucking all that crap from the bottom of your tank and running around your injection system. You might aswell put a bag of sugar in your tank.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Lol, well your sig really does apply now (the stinky part [:D])

Have to say I agree with j40hnw though, I don't really like mine even getting to the refill light stage. 7 litres sounds like quite a lot - how much to you get in the way of miles from that last 7l, so you reckon? I could work it out if I really wanted to think about it, but it's easier (& probably a better measure) to ask you [:D]

In case of emergency, you know....

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Know my dads got 56 miles out of his after the light came on (a 110 TDi tho), think it was running on fumes tho.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ive driven about about 15 miles on the idiot light and was poo pooting myself the whole time...

never again lol

oh and make sure you put some injector cleaner/fuel system cleaner thru the next few times you fill up..

may help..

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
You guys are brave! Most I've done on the idiot light is about 3 miles, and even then my nerves were frazzled!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Quote: posted by j40hnw on 10/12/2004 17:58:14

Ian

You must have pockets stuffed with money!!!!!!

Stealers love people like you running your car to see how far you can go before refueling and sucking all that crap from the bottom of your tank and running around your injection system. You might aswell put a bag of sugar in your tank.

This is exactly what I used to think, but apparently modern fuel tanks have a coating that prevents this from happening (and a filter)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts