Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

New member here with mysterious brake problem.

Font brakes started squeeking and rattling so I had a look and found this:

I disassembled everything and found nothing odd - the caliper seems to be well aligned - the two sliding surfaces are parallel no sign of anything being bent or craked. i cleaned up and greased everything, made sure the caliper was sliding properly, bent the little lug back and reassembled. 5 or 10 miles later the problem re-occured. I am wandering if maybe the piston is somehow sliding back into the caliper too far - could it be a fluid leak somewhere?

Has anyone ever seen something like this? Any pointers greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Ogz

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Never seen it before.

For the low cost of them, I'd try new pads. It might be as simple as the previously installed pads were bad quality/had a manufacturing defect. Either that or they were never installed properly and are now warped beyond just that tab.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
Yes might be slightly dodgy pads out of tolerance. Over on vwvortex they're suggesting I simply have the wrong pads as there are 2 different systems, but the sizes are pretty different and I think it would be fairly obvious if I had the wrong shape. Thing is this happened with new pads having just replaced them and I'm fairly sure I properly installed. if the pads were a bit more used then they would be further from the edge of the caliper and probably would not pop out, or that's what it looks like. They also suggested a caliper re-build kit - didn't know that existed, might be worth a try in t a take-it-apart-put-it-back-together kind of way!

Thanks again
Ogz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes looking at the pic it does look like the metal surface is inwards towards the disk and the friction surface outwards...had me worried there...😅
but if you look there is a spring clip on the back of the pad is in the U shaped cutout.

I had to actually check that there is a spring on the back of both pads, but yes its like in this vid:
I think what you can see that looks like the friction bit of the pad is just some backing that the spring is mounted to.

Sorry if this looks like spam - is it because its my first post and the pic/problem looks a bit daft?

Anyway thanks for all the responses!

Ogz

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've still got an old set of pads lying around and both pads have clips on mine, and the inner and outer pads are identical too, so I don't think that's it. The only different pad on my car is the one with the wear sensor.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
that is just weird, i would replace both disks and pads and clean the sliders and use some rubber grease on them...
but it seems to me like it was never put on right.. it can easily be done... as you have to slide the caliper with the pads on, than make sure the brake pads little hooks are sitting right, and maybe that last step wasn't taken... long story short...
that disk on that side must be warp because of how the pad would be pushed on at an angle (more force applied in just one spot instead of evenly across the pad) so best solution replace both disks and pads...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts