Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the kids to Chester Zoo this morning going along the M62, when i felt a very slight vibration, at first i thought it must have been a change in the road surface but quickly realised otherwise, i slowed down from about 80 and started making my way across to the hard shoulder when my tyre decided to leave the rim and its side wall behind, (one of the kids shouting 'daddy is that our wheel'). Anyway i pulled over and watched a few cars knock the tyre into the outside lane while i phoned 999, then started to jack up the rear end when a wagon went past and sort of blew the car off the jack nearly squashing my feet, luckily i hadn't removed the wheel but my jack was knackered. The highway guys arrived and moved my tyre then phoned a local garage to bring me a jack which cost me ?105 plus VAT (and i didn't even get to keep it!).

Anyway it could have been worse i suppose, if i hadn't have had the wife and kids in with me i probably would have been going a fair bit faster! And luckily no one managed to crash whilst avoiding my debris.

I was'nt quick enough to get a pic of the tyre actually overtaking me, but heres a couple at home after.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Aye Karumba!

[:O]

Glad you and your family are ok... That looks and sounds nasty!

PS, Wonder if you'll be subscribing to the AA tomorrow? LOL

·
Registered
287 Posts
crap the bed

that's frightening. I'm glad the bairns are okay. Typical lorry drivers though, see a car getting jacked up on the hard shoulder, I would slow right down, and pull out if I could. Lucky you weren't sitting down with your ankles under the car!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks people, yeah it was a little hairy but the kids didn't seem to mind too much, might have been different if i'd got squished though, next time i go anywhere i'll definetely be joining the AA. I had Avon zz2's on the back (about 4mm tread) and uniroyal rainsports on the front, i only swapped them front to back a few weeks ago! It was one of the avons that went. Will be replacing the avons tomorrow as long as the rim is ok, anyone suggest a tyre, i can't really afford to spend more than ?200 on the pair.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That was real lucky, it looks like the tyre failed some how, it may be worth getting the remaining bits of the tyre examed as it looks like a faulty tyre the way it has just broken away with some side walls still left on the wheel.

Try and get it sent back to Avon to see what they say about it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thank gpd your ok matey & your family. I know ?105+vat isa lot but not more than the family once again thank to god you all are safe .

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just been and got two new Avon ZZ3's for ?240, i know a few people who use Avon all the time and i have never heard anything bad about them, so i must have just been unlucky. The police took the tyre away with them so i can't have it looked at, i think it must have just went flat really quick and the rim has sliced through the tyre leaving the sidewall behind, guess i will never know for sure. A scrap man collecting old exhausts while i was waiting for the tyres tried convincing me my wheel was knackered and i should give it to him then suggested a tyre place where he gets cheap remoulds for his 20 year old flatbed, Some people have no idea! I just need a new jack now, do most people stick with the standard VW one or an aftermarket one?, i have slight concerns about the stability of the standard ones now.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Glad you and the children are OK. They probably thought it was like watching a cartoon whereas you were very scared, I know I would be.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I just need a new jack now, do most people
stick with the standard VW one or an aftermarket one?, i have
slight concerns about the stability of the standard ones
now.
A freind in the know recomends going to a scrappy and getting a jack
from a MKII golf, as these are the same as the MKIV one, but stonger.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I just need a new jack now, do most people
stick with the standard VW one or an aftermarket one?, i have
slight concerns about the stability of the standard ones
now.
Nicknamed the widow maker in the states, if a stronger one is available
I would go for that! Glad you are ok and what a clsoe shave!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts