Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got fed up with the state of my Santa Monica rims, all corroded with the salt they put on the roads, so I bit the bullet and got them refurbished at my local refurbisher. (Carrick Engineering in Prestwick) Very nice job done by these guys, I can safely recommend them to any of the West of Scotland forum members. I had ruled out the original diamond cut face finish of the wheels in favour of overall powdercoating of anthracite. I then saw pictures of the same rims in another post, redone in anthracite and had second thoughts. Finally plumped for black. Glad I did, also replaced all those shitty plastic bolts on the rims with stainless button headed allen bolts. Had to tap out all the holes though for them to screw into. I'm really pleased with the results. Gonna post piccys when the weather is better. Currently raining here. Hopefully some pictures before the weekend is out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Iv heard that the new mk5 anniversary edition 30 GTI has mat black 18" as standard,So some picks would be great to see.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple of pics of the car with the now 'black' santa monica rims. Sorry but only clean thing in the pic are the rims themselves, the car is well, how can I put it....black.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
654 Posts
Have the wheels been painted inside the rims? In the photo it looks like they have not, or otherwise already caked in muck!

Personally I prefer how they look originally. My Santas are not reps and have not had any problem with corrosion or water under the lacquer. But hats off to you having them in glossy black, I right bugger to keep clean! [:S]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Not too sure about Monicas in black. Some wheels can pull it off nicely, but I def think the Monicas look better with the polished faces and anthracite inserts. As for getting dirty, it isnt going to show the brake dust any worse than silver wheels are they?

Another great idea with the original Santas, the anthractite inserts to hide the brake dust. Just wipe the shiny spokes and still looks good. Genius!

BTW, watch the kerbs. A colleague has a black car with black alloys. After a few clips, they look awful with silver gashes in them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wheels were fully painted front and back, only on a few days though and they're already loaded with brake dust and rust. The discs got a wee bit rusty whilst sitting without the wheels on. Now that its all been driven off by the braking action, its coating the insides of the wheels nicely. I did wax the wheels before refitting them so it should clean off ok. 

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Good on you for not being scared to be different James! BTW, were your Santa's originals or replicas?

Mine are originals - coming up for three years old, but I do take them off the car every winter just to protect them a bit more. No corrosion yet, but I'm dreading the day when it comes!! Your thread has got me thinking about a painted set of replicas for winter, as I hate going back to the boggo monty 1's!!

Hmm, i'm thinking dark grey with black inserts....wouldn't worry about how dirty they get then, either - lol!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My car originally came with AVUS 1's on, the five spoke 15" alloys. Got a set of used Santa's off of Ebay, £165 for 4 with good tyres. Only problem was they turned out to be replicas and had already started to corrode. I went with another forum members recommendation (Sonny) and sanded off all the laquer on the faces of the rims and polished the bare alloy to a high lustre finish. They looked excellent, but alas the road salt took its toll. Keeping on top of them was getting a bit tedious, and to refurb to original finish (diamond cut and laquered) was gonna cost the earth, so now they're blasted and coated in black, just to be different.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
is the wheel on the wrong side?if that is the rear arch its pointing wrong way(rotation arrow)or is it me[:cool:]
Nope its right as it looks like the front discs so i presume its the driverside front wheel..

Sat

·
Registered
123 Posts
Look awesome mate, I had a go at doing my Toora's myself in Graphite Grey this weekend, got the two rears done but didnt do a very good job.....

1st one I did I didnt put enough paint on,

2nd one I did i put too much paint, and filler and lacquer on and it ran down the inside of the rim...

Tought me that I cant spray for s**t!!! lol

Put them back on the car though and the colour looks great! Just need to take them to a bodyshop now to get them sorted out properly, in the same grey colour.

May I ask how much the average cost per wheel is?

Jason

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Jason,

The company I got my wheels done at was charging £32.50 a wheel if you brought them in, and £40 if they had to jack up the car and take them off / put them on. That included removing tyre and refitting with new valve. They also fixed any kerbing etc before powdercoating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts