Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Oh dear - a Volvo. I might be alone in thinking this but I think the golf has far more presence and style and is far afr more desireable than ANY and I mean ANY Volvo. IMO only old men and farmers drive Volvo's and Dentists drive Saab's! Can I ask why we're seeing pics of a Volvo on a VW forum?

Sarge

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote: posted by sgt.banjo on 02/04/2005 20:00:06

Oh dear - a Volvo. I might be alone in thinking this but I think the golf has far more presence and style and is far afr more desireable than ANY and I mean ANY Volvo. IMO only old men and farmers drive Volvo's and Dentists drive Saab's! Can I ask why we're seeing pics of a Volvo on a VW forum?

Sarge

Cheers Sarge [:D]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
MOB, What's it like living with the S60? I almost bought a D5 and I remember the super comfy seats and the THAT awesome standard stereo!

·
Registered
299 Posts
"I might be alone in thinking this but "....Yup.

The D5 has the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I'm actually now considering one as my Mule - My Father in Law has one and had the T6 (?) before it. Now considering his last few cars have included an M Coupe, M3 and a Westfield with a 200bhp Vauxhall lump, this was quite a change...but my Mother in law still has her M3 Evo for when they want to play.

Very impressed with the D5 - Germanic build quality in and outside, smooth, economical and so comfortable - and the fact that you can pick up early Turbos for ?5K makes then quite appealing

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote: posted by MRK IV on 02/04/2005 20:19:53

"I might be alone in thinking this but "....Yup.

My Father in Law has one and had the T6 (?) before it.

The prosecution rests.[^]

Sarge

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Looking good Mob [:D]

...ok I know everyone asks the same old question but what tints have you got on it? 50% at the front? I want to get my black A3 done but I dont want it to look to dark and after seeing yours it looks pretty much spot on.

J.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tints are 35% all round as per Tinters recommendation and he was spot on - classy and not too dark

The D5 engine is a gem - 163bhp and 250lbs and it feels much more petrol like than the PD engines - less of a mighty surge of a PD but revs cleanly to the redline. Sounds great as well.

The most impressive bits about the S60 are;

- the seats are like armchairs - the best bar none IMO

- the hifi is outrageously good - 13 speaker dolby pro logic - the Z4 has a 500 watt carver set up and the Volvo system is in a different league - I remember picking the car up and playing Keane's album on the way home - the mirrors were vibrating and there is no distortion at silly volumes

- there is next to no wind or road noise that gets into the cabin - you can do well over a ton and not realise

The only real criticism of the car is the steering/handling - it grips fine, but the steering is lifeless and you need to turn the wheel a fair bit to get it to turn. Its in no way a drivers car......

There is no better car for the money IMO if you want a luxury ride with a wonderful stereo

BTW it should have 200bhp and 320lbs later this month [;)]

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote: posted by marriedblonde on 02/04/2005 22:18:25

Quote: posted by sgt.banjo on 02/04/2005 21:16:00

The prosecution rests.[^]

Sarge

Let me guess VW make the best cars in the world...

J.

Do they?? I wouldn't know about that but they're certainly far trendier and desireable than Volvo's

Sarge

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote: posted by MOB on 02/04/2005 23:14:03

Sterling Grey Z4 2.2

Volvo S60 D5 SE - Sapphire black

Calypso Red VX220 2.2

Just to re-iterate, I'm wondering if there are no BMW, Volvo or Vauxhall forums in which this thread belongs?

Mind you - most Volvo owners are so old - they probably haven't even heard of the internet. Isn't there a traditional 'mail in' fan club for the Volvo!

Sarge

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sgt., you're either very naive, or trolling for the sake of it.

So most Volvo owners are so old, that they also own a Z4 and a VX220? Two of the best handling cars in their sectors?

But then the concept of handling would obviously be lost on you...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote: posted by sgt.banjo on 02/04/2005 23:31:35

Quote: posted by MOB on 02/04/2005 23:14:03

Sterling Grey Z4 2.2

Volvo S60 D5 SE - Sapphire black

Calypso Red VX220 2.2

Just to re-iterate, I'm wondering if there are no BMW, Volvo or Vauxhall forums in which this thread belongs?

Mind you - most Volvo owners are so old - they probably haven't even heard of the internet. Isn't there a traditional 'mail in' fan club for the Volvo!

Sarge

I dunno, I reckon Sarge is just winding everyone up. You seem to enjoy controversy. oh well

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
looking good mob... I really wanna do what you do in a few years time.. just try out every car possible! and always have like three on the go.. how do you do it!?!?!! lol... do you work for a car reviewing mag or something?

Do you ever do a lot of modding to ya cars other than say tints or a chip? or is there no point in wasting effort on a car you'll have for a month?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote: posted by MRK IV on 03/04/2005 00:55:59

Sgt., you're either very naive, or trolling for the sake of it.

So most Volvo owners are so old, that they also own a Z4 and a VX220? Two of the best handling cars in their sectors?

But then the concept of handling would obviously be lost on you...

Neither to be honest. You say most Volvo owners also own a Z4 and a VX220? I challenge you to show me one other Volvo owner who does.

What makes you think that the concpet of handling is lost on me?

Can anyone answer my question as to why we are discussing these cars in a VW forum[?]

Sarge

1 - 20 of 49 Posts