Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you may have read, I suffered a heap of problems with my R32 towards the end of last year. In brief, my fans failed causing the battery to overheat, secondary air injection system to fail and left me stranded. Well, that was all fixed and everything was rosey again....

...until last weekend.

I'd been away in the States with work and returned to Heathrow Pink Elephant parking to get my car and drive home. Upon arriving at the car I noticed that the kind person who had been parked beside me had left a 2 foot black stripe up my drivers door. Quite how people can he that bad at reversing out of parking spaces is beyond me. However, I consoled myself with the fact that most of it should polish out and the same panel had a small ding in it anyway.

So, mildly annoyed, I loaded the car, got in and attempted to drive away. As I manouvred the car out of the space there was a horrendous banging and clunking from the passenger side front wheel that could be felt through the steering. Now, having been up for 27 hours at this point I applied ignorance and thought it might go away. Which it did. All the way down the M4, A417 and A419 the car was fine and back to it's usual vocal self. It was only when I hit the lanes to my house, requiring slow sharp turns that the clunking came back.

The next day I took the car to my dad's mechanic. We popped the bonnet, turned the steering and noticed that the strut was twisting when I turned the wheel. Not good, but nothing a Golf hasn't done before. So, I called Blade VW in Gloucester who I'd arranged to do my 50k service the following week to ask if I could get the car over to them a bit earlier than planned. I'd used Northfield in Cirencester for years but had a falling out with them when they wanted ?290 quid for the service that everybody else charged ?220 for tops. Their excuse was special lubricant !

Anyway, back to the story. Blade agreed to take my car in a look at it when they had chance. They also said they'd try and do the service since the car would be in for a few days and it would save me going again the following week. I had a large list of things I wanted checking under warranty so I gave them that too. One of these was a knocking noise from the rear of the car that I'd reported several times over the course of a year to the last garage but they couldn't find anything. I received a call from Blade soon after they'd started looking at the car to inform me that the rear anti-roll bar had broken and was therefore loose and not doing it's job ! No idea how this could have happened to be honest. I've never taken the car on track and it doesn't get driven that hard. Lots of motorway miles. Strange.

Being an R32, anti roll bars aren't exaclty easy to get hold of through VW. They expect it could be 2 weeks to get one but worst case is 2nd May. So, I'm currently driving round in a new Jetta TDI 105 rental car from Europcar paid for my VW UK. Quite a nice car too.

So, in summary Blade have proved themselves to be complete stars so far. The list of work they are doing is as follows:

50k, 3rd variable serivce.
Brake Fluid Service.
Fix Passenger Front Suspension Strut Top + Bushes.
New rear anti-roll bar + bushes.
New seat bases to stop creaking.
New parcel shelf.
Plus attending to numerous other niggling problems.

My R32 may have let me down again....but I'm a sucker and I suspect I'll forgive it. Hell, it should be so much better to drive with a working rear anti-roll bar. My message to everybody is "Warrantys are great".

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
hi

sorry to hear that about your .:R, i have actually the same work done on my .:R 4 times already, they keep going for some reason

but has not put me off the .:R, if there was no warranty, i would of sold it a long time ago

anyways, vw dealers wanted to charge me for it, so i contacted vw direct and they basically said they will fix it under warranty even if the car goes out of warranty. thats the front bushes, struts, anti roll bars, bearings, fans, and god knows what else

hafizur

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 times !!! That's a massive hassle. Makes me wonder how many times my car would have been done if I'd done more mileage on Gloucestershire's terrible roads and not just a lot of motorway.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've had my car back for just over a week now and all seems to be rosey again. It's amazing how much more stable and grippier the rear of the car is now. Just makes me wonder just how long my rear anti-rollbar had been broken and why my previous dealership never spotted it.

It's also quite funny how much faster VW UK are at sourcing parts if you have a hire car that costs them money the delivery time went from 6 weeks to 2 weeks.

As for Blade VW in Gloucester - a big thumbs up from me.

Fingers crossed for no more big problems - especially as I'll be driving to Le Mans in 9 weeks.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Great to hear your cars back in good nick

Not happy with mine any more, its constantly whining and making a clonking sound when i make a right turn, the previous 4 were when doing left turns

Its booked in, but cant wait the two weeks

Hafizur

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey guys, wonder if you could help me out.

Im in the process of buying a mk4 R32 and you're both really worrying me. Are these things really that bad? I've had my 1.8T GTI for nearly two years now and have had absolutely nothing go wrong with it at all, the thing will never give up so am now worried about getting the R.

Is there anything I should look out for or your recommendations when trying to find one. My budget will allow me to get a 53plate with 20k miles but if all these things have gone wrong on both your cars, im starting to get worried.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey guys, wonder if you could help me out.

Im in the process of buying a mk4 R32 and you're both really worrying me. Are these things really that bad? I've had my 1.8T GTI for nearly two years now and have had absolutely nothing go wrong with it at all, the thing will never give up so am now worried about getting the R.

Is there anything I should look out for or your recommendations when trying to find one. My budget will allow me to get a 53plate with 20k miles but if all these things have gone wrong on both your cars, im starting to get worried.

Any ideas?
i wouldn't worry too much. i had a petrol anni for nearly three years and i had to take it to the dealers at least every two months for some kind of warranty work. i chopped it in for the .:R nearly a year ago and i have only had one thing go wrong in that time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got to admit, I have an R32 53 plate and absolutely love it .. the performance, the handling ...

The problems I have had have all been to do with interior build quality and to be honest they are minor niggles but I'm a perfectionist ;) Squeeking seats - VW replace both lumbar supports last week and passenger seats noises have now gone but the driver's seat still makes a noise when you move in it. Seat belt holder rattled a lot over bumps.

That said, turn up the radio and put the foot down and you will see why we all drive them ... you'll love it I'm sure.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had loads of things looked at under warranty mainly because, as far as I see it, the warranty is there to be used. If something squeeks or rattles then it should be fixed. As for my larger issues, apart from the roll-bar, they've been run-of-the-mill MkIV problems. The cooling fans are a well known issue and strut-top joints eventually let go on any car that regularly travels roads similar to the ones where I live.

That said, I can understand your worries, but if you really like the R32 then go for it. Sure, mine's annoyed me a few times and even left me in the lurch - but I keep coming back. I even go out for drives in it just for the hell of it. Plus of the 54k miles it's done, I've done 45k of them so it can't be that bad and I can't wait to drive it to Le Mans in 9 weeks.

Seeming you can pick them up now for about ?14-15k I think they're a performance bargain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys,

Big thank you for all your replies, definately want one, just need to find one now. Spanner I still can't believe you snapped a roll-bar!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL - I'd love to think that I snapped the roll-bar through some aggressive driving at some point.....however I've never done any track days and I dont drive the car hard particularly often. If it was me that broke the roll-bar (and not the dealership that had it before I bought it) I suspect that it would have occured as a result of one corner near my house - a sharp left, off-camber, exceedingly steep turn which tests suspension travel to the max. It's a right git of a corner that requires the traction control to be turned off otherwise it gets confused, the car comes to a halt and then stalls.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It's a right git of a corner that requires
the traction control to be turned off otherwise it gets confused,
the car comes to a halt and then stalls.
LMAO!! I think VW might be interested in paying a visit to your house to see what is confusing their software [:D]

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL - tis true tho. My dad's old Merc and my mates Skyline make a right meal of it too. I reckon the roads round here are more challenging than the 'Ring [:D]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts