Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having scoured the country for my ideal car, some white van man has just piled into the back of me while stationary in queueing traffic! Only had my car a few weeks. Anyway, been to VW who want nigh on a ?1000 to replace the whole bumper, repair tailgate and fit new towbar(took most of impact). The Indian guy who hit me doesn't want to go through the insurance and is ringing me later(wednesday)after he's checked up with the dealer(to make sure I'm not ripping him off). He's then on about bringing me a cheque/money for the repairs, provided I give a receipt once the work has been done. Should I be wary of the guy as it seems a bit dodgy???? I checked his driving license, address, name, insurance Co, reg No and telephone No and everything looks in order. I'm insured with Adiran Flux. I rang them after the accident to make sure I'd got all the details I need from the guy. Should I ring them back and tell them whats happening or should I accept this guys offer???? Any advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If your happy with the deal then fine, I would just get him to pay the dealers in advance, as I've heard of horror stories where people say yeah I'll pay for it you get the work done then either refuse to pay or don't want to pay for all of it anymore.

My brother's going through something sililar at the moment and the quotes hav all come in at about ?350 (not much damage agreed) but the bloke's like I could get that done for ?100 so we're now suggesting if he ain't happy with the quotes its insurance company time.

Sorry for the long post, just be careful.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I agree, get the money first & don't accept a cheque.

Sorry to hear about your bump, the place has gone mad.

Oh, and I'd take it to a different dealership for a second opinion on what work will need done, if there are any repercussions after it's fixed (i.e. if they miss anything) you'll need to deal with it yourself if you're doing it privately.

·
Registered
796 Posts
either get the money in your bank first, or to be honest I would go through insurance. it sounds like the guy is dictating terms to you, when he is the one at fault! sod his no claims, I'm sorry but that is tough and its nothing to do with you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree with Hornetrider. I was rear ended last night and the guy wants to pay cash but i've told him i'm not messing about. I know i can do it cheap, bumper off ebay, local body shop to paint it and fit it myself etc but i can't be doing with the hassle just for his benefit. I'll take the cash off him for the price of repairs (around ?400) and if he doesn't like it then i'll go the insurance route. Much less hassle in the long run.

Now, what i do with the ?400 is upto me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should I notify Adrian Flux of what is happening, or just get on with it and have it repaired? Also this guy wants a receipt for everything done. The only thing with claiming on his insurance is that when I come to renew my insurance and declare that I had a "non" fault accident and claimed off the other guys insurance, it will affect my premium quote. I had this happen to me with Bell Direct a few years back.

·
Registered
796 Posts
well that is the risk you take, but basically in claims like this you tell your insewerance co, he tells his. you both fill out the forms with pics etc and let them handle it. in this case its straightforward and you won't have to pay a thing.

when it comes to renewal time if it has gone up then shop around and come back to them with your quotes. tell them you are fully prepared to take your business elsewhere. they will see its not YOU that was at fault, and endeavour to keep your business. thats what I always do come renewal time and 9 times out of 10 the lowest quote has been matched.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had the guy ring me up. He's forwarding the money to the Stealers, "before" the repairs are done. Seems OK, although he did want to pay after the repairs were to my satisfaction (no way). He said he stood to lose his 7 years NCB and that he's insured for business use(builder). He claimed it would cost him alot more come renewal time, than what it would to pay for the repair. Just on my way now to book it in and ring the guy back to forward the money to the stealers. (he's already in contact with them). Hopefully sorted soon. Thanks for the posts and I'll keep you updated. Cheers[;)]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just rang the stealers and the guy has rang them up with his credit card and paid in advance for the repair work!! Looks like a result!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's all part of the VW after hours new and improved customer care service!! lol

Don't you just love night shifts!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Did I reda your first post right? Have you already contacted your Insurer's? If you have they will most lilely have made a note on your records that you have had an accident.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote: posted by Milkfloat on 11/11/2004 09:38:47

Did I reda your first post right? Have you already contacted your Insurer's? If you have they will most lilely have made a note on your records that you have had an accident.

Yes I agree with Milkfloat, if you have been in contact with insurance they will record this on your file!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts