Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just an opinion here, wanted to be different & bought these 17" porsche boxster wheels a while back hoping to fit them on my golf. But Im thinking should I keep them or not???

Posted Image

Im in two minds, would you guys keep them or not? Cheers [y]

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
shame there only 17's buy they will look better i reckon. i did see a car on vortex (i think) that had some..or maybe on here. not sure lol

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought 17s on purpose gray, my cars only a 1.4 & it doesnt pull because of the a8s Ive got on, big wheels cause strain on the gearbox & drivetrain, & Im paying the price now, both my clutch & gearbox gone, repairing on Monday [:'(].

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think they look a little like BBS RXs or the original split rim 16s on the V5, I say go for it and keep them, they look cool, would suit your car now your going for the more OEM + route, plus being porker wheels will probably be fairly light weight but not too bling so they scream nick me.

Think they will look really nice once your coilies are on.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think they look a little like BBS RXs or the original split rim 16s on the V5, I say go for it and keep them, they look cool, would suit your car now your going for the more OEM + route, plus being porker wheels will probably be fairly light weight but not too bling so they scream nick me.

Think they will look really nice once your coilies are on.
Yeah I did really like them when I got them, very subtle, & my car went in for a clutch the other day, turns out I need a gearbox too!! So Im getting that reapired on Monday, its costing me an arm & a leg, & its also put me off the car, so I dont even know if I wanna put coilovers on this one, want a 1.8T or TDI, but we'll see, Im gagging to fit the coilovers on. [y]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Well most things you fit you can transfer over, any chance of getting a recon box from somewhere is it the rivet problem?

Looks a tidy car you have, that said even a 90 TDI it pretty damn quick, remapped they fly, mate had one in a bora and it wasn't far shy of my 130 off the line to about 40mph when they were both standard and it never used any fuel ever, lol.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've got it mate, the mechanic did say something about rivets, I keep thinking he's trying to have me over, but I dont know. It is pretty tidy & I had some serious plans, regardless of what people on here thought of a 1.4, but this fault has really put me off, but it'll be driving very smooth by Monday. [y]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
its a common problem on the 1.4/1.6 gearbox, rivets (in the diff I think?) weren't strong enough when the box was made, its a box out job to fit the repair kit, was a simple design flaw that really ought to have been a recall, think its a 50/50 chance of it going at some point from what I have read.

If the car is what you want and your happy with it sod everyone else and laugh when it comes to tax/insurance renewal, more power = more points from gatsos anyway. Look at cats car that looks really nice, thats only a 1.4.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh, so hes not having me on, but he may know about it being common, I keep thinking hes having me on, but I guess hes got better things to do. Does it mean me having a recon gearbox? There are a handful of small engined cars on this forum that are nice, I really like Cats car, aswell as golfzins, Y15HAL, skierandy, not to mention vwtam (gorgeous, one of the best mk4's Ive seen), I think his is a 1.6. Im not a speed freak, but I do like potential, but Id have to wait for a faster car, insurance & money, but my hands are itching to modify, so I'll probably end up modifying this one lol.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
do a search on here mate its an often talked about topic (1.6 and rivet might do it) it s a repair kit from vw but you have to take gearbox off to do it.

If your happy with the performance then go for it and mod this one, who cares whats under the bonnet. I drive mine much slower since its been modded, too much money in it to loony round in it. I have 180bhp, and you get bored of it very quickly so really makes no odds having 50, 75, 500bhp, can only do speed limits these days with all the cameras n speed bumps etc. (and all the other idiots on the roads)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right, so how much do you thik it should be? As Im getting charged ?561 for the repair & a clutch too, is that reasonable? Yeah I may hold on to the 1.4 a bit longer, cheers matt, you've cheered me up lol. [y]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
thats probably abot right price wise with all the parts (think its about ?80 for repair kit, clutch if its a genuine one will be a couple of hundred quid then the labour so I'd say thats not bad. Your welcome mate, can't wait to see what plans you have for the car.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats probably abot right price wise with all the parts (think its about ?80 for repair kit, clutch if its a genuine one will be a couple of hundred quid then the labour so I'd say thats not bad. Your welcome mate, can't wait to see what plans you have for the car.
The clutch isnt genuine, its an LUK clutch nothing special. Yeah will do a few things to the car, cant wait either, 1st stop midland vw for the coilovers. Cheers mate [y]

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are they doing about the hole in the gearbox case mate ????????[*-)]

Andy
I dont think there is a hole in the gearbox mate, Im going to go have a look tomorrow as they were closed over the weekend. [y]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts