Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am so pleased with my PB install I thought I'll post a pic [:D]

I have it hooked up to the single slot CD player and then my Gamma HU! So far I've had no problems (skipping, switching back to the radio) or whining (touch wood [;)])!

The PB was purchased off ebay from a US seller!

Posted Image

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It sure is.
I need to cut a slot for mine though it will only be for the DMS cartridge as I have the unit sat right back.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great that jammy dya have any probs opening the compartment up now you have cut it to fit around the PB
To open/close, you just need to lift the flap to get over the PhatBox. Really nothing bad!

I couldn't get the hazard triangle in that compartment any more! The first aid box fits tho [:p]

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you sit it right back and mount it at an angle it is just possible to close the cubby hole cover. No cutting of the cover is then required but the cover will bow out slightly (but hardly noticeable).

You will need to drill some extra holes in the brackets to mount the Phatbox at an angle. I'll try to post some pics if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If you sit it right back and mount it at an anglet it is just possible to close the cubby hole cover. No cutting of the cover is then required but the cover will bow out slightly (but hardly noticeable).

You will need to drill some extra holes in the brackets to do this. I'll try to post some pics if anyone is interested.
Mark, pics would be good.
I currently have my door open until I work out what to do with it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have been looking at ordering one of these from the US suppliers but have been put off by other posts saying that they have had problems with the US units as they run on different voltages.

How can this be true? Why would American models operate on a different voltage?

Would you recommend that I purchase one from a US seller as there prices seem to work out much cheeper/

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been looking at ordering one of these from the US suppliers but have been put off by other posts saying that they have had problems with the US units as they run on different voltages.

How can this be true? Why would American models operate on a different voltage?

Would you recommend that I purchase one from a US seller as there prices seem to work out much cheeper/
Don't be put off!

The problem only seems to affect some mfd d and g units, as far as i'm aware. Not all models get the skipping problem either.

The u/s phatbox works perfect with euro gamma and beta units.

For some reason the u/s units operate at a slightly different internal voltage, to the euro units, which causes the communication problem.

Weather or not phatnoise will continue to convert u/s phatboxes to euro spec, will remain to be seen. I've only heard of 2 people that have had this done, f.o.c. 1 payed postage(?50), the other got free post. Phatnoise now state that euro mfd's are not compatible with the u/s phatbox, so i doubt they will convert many more units for free.

I'd still recommend buying a u/s phatbox, as you can still save at least 50% off the uk price.

Amazing piece of kit, when you get it working properly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Very nice install there!

I'll be modifying by bracket so i only need to cut a hole for the dms.

First i just have to get the blooming thing working properly with my mfd-g.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I think I will be ordering one from the states. I have the standard Gamma head unit only and so will not get any problems. Seems strange to me that I can get one from the states for about ?110 when the UK suppliers want nearly twice that.

Sorry for all the questions but, do any mods have to be done to fit the unit in place of my 6 disc changer and is it possible to hide the whole thing away including the removable cassete?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dropped my cartridge on the road today, I nearly poo'd myself! Luckily it still works and only a couple of marks in the plastic!

I thought after all my hard work getting it installed all I need is to damage the cartridge!

This thing is the dogs, I can't recommend it enough! Why would anyone buy a CD changer for there VW for now on? It fact it is cheaper than a changer!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is the pic of the my Phatbox install without having to cut the cubby hole cover at all.

Bit busy at the moment but can post more details if anyone is interested when I get chance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Think pic above should be ok now if a bit small!

If there is an easy way of reducing the size of the picture file but keeping the large size let me know and I'll upload another pic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts