Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I returned to my car earlier today having parked it at a friends house overnight. Double-plipped the remote to open all the doors but noticed that the driver's door remained locked. Had to open it up with the key. Got in, turned the key to the second position and all the lights came on as usual. However, when I turned the key to start the engine, everything went out. Letting go of the key, the ignition lights came back on but the clock/trip/computer had all reset.

Ended up calling the AA and they attached an external battery enabling me to start the car. We then tested the charge flowing to the battery and found it to be a bit high - 15- 16 volts - I think 14 is more usual. So it looks like the alternator has been over charging my battery and killed it. Great.

Then, I noticed that the fans were running at full speed for 10 seconds, cutting out and then coming back on after half a minute or so. When they were off, they were completely stopped, not running at half-speed as they should when the aircon it switched on. So I've now joined the V6 faulty fans club.

Next, I get into the car and the aircon is making a right racket. Bubbling, gurgling and fizzing. Working fine....but making odd noises. Marvellous.

Got home, switched off the engine and immediately tried to restart it.....nothing. Back to where I was before. Dead battery.

On top of this I've been having a few other issues:

1. My emissions lamp coming on regardless of whether I have my standard R32 exhaust fitted or my Milltek with Front Silencer Bypass and throwing a Secondary Air Injection System Flow too Low fault code.
2. I have a graunching/creaking noise coming from inside the driver's door.
3. There is a knocking noise coming from the drivers-side rear suspension. Upon looking at it with the wheel off, I can see that the rubber sleeve has come away from the shock absorber leaving it exposed, so there is the possibility that some crud has entered the shocker and is causing the knocking noise.

Am calling my dealer tomorrow and will be asking/demanding/begging for an emergency booking for servicing and a courtesy car. I can't believe this has all happened at once. I've had a fantastic R32 ownership experience for the past 20 months but this is a nightmare !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
What a nightmare! I guess its better it all happening now than every
time you leave the dealers from getting the previous fault fixed [:D]

·
Registered
207 Posts
1. the emmisions lamp is coming on because part of the emmisions stuff isn't working, i.e. the air injection system. could that be the big electric fan ont he front of the engine that blows air into the cats to heat them up quickly? I think so, investigate.

2.de-grease , clean, then re-greasethe door hinges

3. knocking could be all sorts, tyr shaking the wheel up and down and have a liste. most likely a worn out top mount bearing.

how is you serpentine belt? seems strange that you're having battery and air con issues at the same time. howvewr, the fnas coming on on their own is your most likely cause of a flat battery. unplug the fan controller for a while, the fans will still work on the temp switch on the rad.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Excellent advice there PhatVR6 but the fans is a common fault with V6
and V5 engines. It is caused by a burnt out resistor that can be
bypassed with a mod posted on here but otherwise results in new fans.

I think its due to lack of decent cooling for the electrics that control the fans.

Basically, if your fans pulse on and off at high speed when the
climatronic is set to auto you are looking to fix the damage asap as it
will screw other stuff up over time.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the info chaps. The fans are deffo the known issue as they are pulsing. I'm slightly worried as to how long they've been like it. I checked them about 2 months ago, but with the Milltek fitted I can't hear the fans - even when they switch into mental-flat-out mode. I'd already throught that as a result of them not working properly they could be causing the problems with the aircon. Maybe the pump is getting too hot? However, I never thought that they could be causing the emissions lamp. But you're probably right. If the fans aren't working properly the cats won't warm up in the correct time period and a fault code will be riased. Good thinking that man.

As for the door hinges....they've been greased a few times now. Admitedly it does seem to lessen the creaking but it never goes away. I've even had the dealer take a look - but unsurprisingly it comes back "no fault found" or "noise not heard on test drive".

The knocking from the rear is one of those problems that's difficult to pinpoint as it doesn't happen all the time. However, it does seem to be more likely to happen when the weather is damp or cold. I barely heard it at all through the summer, so chose to ignore it [:p]

Oh, what's a serpentine belt by they way?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Local VW have been called....can't fit my car in until Wednesday as they are already overbooked for Monday and Tuesday. Also no chance of a courtesy car until the 21st !! Not their fault they are busy I suppose, but I shall be calling VW Customer Service department to see what they can do as I'm not happy about my car being off the road for 5 days and possibly more.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Serpentine belt = auxilliary drivebelt

Goes round the alternator, aircon pump, PAS pump etc..

best of luck getting it sorted mate

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Do you have VW Assistance cover ?

If so call them out tomorrow and you should be able to jump the
dealership queue and have a car supplied by EuropCar whilst it's in
being looked at.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I called VW Customer Services yesterday and they informed me that if the car was classed as "off the road", VW UK would provide me with a car if the dealership did not have any. So I called back my dealer, told them and all of a sudden, they were bending over backwards for me. They told me if I could get my car to them they would provide me with a car and look at it on Monday morning. I even had a long chat with the head of servicing who agreed that it looks like everything could have been caused by the problematic fans.

A set of jumpleads, 12 miles and 3 heart-stopping near complete engine cut-outs later, my R32 is currently parked inside their workshop for the weekend and I'm driving around in......a 2005 Passat TDI 130 ESTATE.....with full leather.

Quite a nice car actually.....I haven't driven for the dark side for a while and forgot how much fun the 130 TDIs are !

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've just collected the R32 from my local dealership after dropping it of Saturday morning. They believe all the problems I have been seeing can be narrowed down to the faulty fans, so they've swapped them out. They've also replaced the battery since it was knackered wouldn't take any charge. So I guess that leaves me to get some mileage into the car to see if it's solved the emissions lamp and air-con problems. If that's the case then I can get my Milltek back in place and start frightening old ladies and children again [:D]

Oh, I did notice a large note on the job card saying "FAN FAULT - MUST NOT BE DRIVEN". So, I guess VW consider it to be a pretty serious fault, therefore the moral of the story is to read what's been posted on this forum quite a few times and regularly check that your cooling fans will work at 1/2 speed or you could be looking at all sorts of damage.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
140 miles have passed since I picked the R up from the dealers and the cooling fans are fine and still working. However, my emissions lamp has returned and upon plugging into VAG-COM I have the old fault code:

16795 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

along with one I never noticed before:

01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)
37-00 - Faulty

I'm wondering if these two faults are related, since they both come down to air flow. At least the faulty motor might explain the creaking/gurgling/knocking noise coming from behind the dashboard.

Anyway, back into the Dealers for another look then.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the second one, as this related to the climate
system. I've had this a few times on my V5 and it's not returned in a
while. I think it just show when the flap sticks some times.

Do the codes reappear once reset ?

The following might be of some interest, maybe a hose has become dislodged when the dealer was replacing the fans ?

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?threadID=19490&tstart=0

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the link. I may try and take a look later to see if anything is loose.

As for the aircon, even if it's not related to the Injection system, I'm glad I've seen the code because the aircon has been making odd noises for about 3 months now - I'd just never thought of pulling fault codes from it until today.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Your second error code is what my car is going in to have changed as my clima makes all sorts of strange and wacky noises! all under warranty!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Spanner,regards to the noisy climate control.....ive been getting a sort of hissing/gurgling noise,which seems to be coming from under the passenger side of the dash on my 4motion. The best way to describe it is similar to the tank on a loo filling up with water again after being flushed(not exactly how i like to discuss my car,but its the closest noise i can describe!!!). Is this the same sort of noise you are getting? The climate works fine,everything seems to be ok. Its more noticeable just after switching the enine off,and subsides after a couple of minutes. I had the ac re gassed at the last service in may,but that mde no difference,so wondered if it may be a small airlock in the cooling system(?),but as yet havent got round to investigating any further. Keep us posted about this,as im very interested. Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the R went into the dealers again today and I came away with a Beetle TDI.

Anyway, I've just received a call from them and they found 2 air-pipes loose in the secondary air injection system. They also found the fault with the air con and are ordering in the part to replace the faulty motor/flap. So just need to book it in to get that done and all *should* be hunky-dory again.

@V6DKO - superb description of the air-con noise - that's it. If you can get to somebody with VAG-COM, get them to scan the air-con unit and you will probably get the same fault as Royster and I.

·
Registered
682 Posts
@V6DKO - superb description of the air-con noise - that's it. If you can get to somebody with VAG-COM, get them to scan the air-con unit and you will probably get the same fault as Royster and I.
Spanner...glad im not on my own,asked a couple of people about this,but had drawn a blank until now! What exactly do they need to do to sort it? Any info would be greatly appreciated mate. Will see if anyone can bring vag-com to NW meet next week. Cheers,Paul.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, VAG-COM reported a problem with a motor, but the guy at the dealers said he'd seen the fault but had looked through some VW bulletin to track the problem down. He drained the air con and re-gassed it (bonus - saves me paying for it), but he could still hear the knocking/hissing/gurgling noise. He's ordered some kind of valve which I'm waiting for to come in. I'll try and find out what part it was he ordered when they call me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts