Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recap for anyone who didn't see my post first time or forgot what it was -

About 6 months ago (maybe 8) I got this very slight *droning* noise from the rear of the car.

Its tricky to describe a noise sometimes, but i'd say this was a low-frequency pitched noise which changed in amplitude (volume) and also a bit in pitch twice every wheel revolution.

A bit like a a washing machine doing a low speed tumble but without the whining motor noise.

Anyways - it went to the dealer to check it out - I said at the time it sounded like a wheel bearing failure starting.

They spent some time on it and although they could hear it and concurred, they said beacuse i'd fitted 18" (VW Votex at the time) alloys and different tyres, they couldn't rule it out as a tyre noise!

Well, the noise has never gone away and in the last month has got SO noticable it's doin' me t*ts in!

The noise is there when in gear or neutral (coasting) - has speed related frequency, is most noticable (loudest) say from 30-65mph, and changes prominence ever so slightly if i apply the handbrake a little when moving.

I am using Goodyear F1 GSD3 XL's in ZR which are directional - has ANYONE ever had an unusual noise from these tyres ?

I accept tyre roar (road noise) is not unusual from tyres, but one that sounds like this surely cant be the tyre?

Oh - and these tyres are originals, been off the VW Votex Rims - the rears were swapped left to tright side, refitted to BBS CH's and only last week both rear wheels re-balanced.

My only "hope", and apparently would "prove" that it wasn't the tyres, would be to try another set of wheels/tyres on the car........my dealer asked me to refit the originals instead of my "MODIFIED" wheels..........tossers!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Have you still got your original wheels foxy? Might be worth sticking them back on to see if the noise is still there just to prove the point.

If it was tyre roar surley you would hear it more from your front wheels than your rear?

Chris

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
check the rear tyres to see if there is any kinda rubbing happening. better still take them off and check for any signs of foul play on suspension struts, arches, brake lines etc.

You've got 8x18's so they should be ok as long as its the correct offset.

Best bet would be to try and get hold of some original 17's and see if they make any noises.

Actually...on directional tyres you can't swap them from Left to Right? You can swap back to front on SAME SIDE but not to other side I thought?

Directional tyres also have specific outside/inside markings so if its on the outside of the left rear wheel for instance swapping it to the right side means it becomes INSIDE of the right rear!

Not sure if that is correct but I have seen tyres with specific outside/inside markings.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah - the tyres are well-clear of any rubbing - they are ET51 offset which is correct.

The tyres are directional only (i believe), and when the tyres were taken from the original VW Votex 18's i used to have, the guy inadvertantly swapped the left and right rears over - it's OK as they are still maintaining the right directionality.

I don't have the original wheels and tyres - otherwise I would have given that a try - that's for certain!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I had this problem on my Focus, however Ford did change both rear wheel bearings under warranty. The actual cause was the tyres, I had Toyo's on and when they got low ish, say 3-4mm they made a horrible racket, just like worn wheel bearings. I'd certainly try and put a standard set on, even if its only 2 wheels.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Foxy

I have 18" CH on the car with Pirelli PZERO NERO and the original 16" alloys with God knows what on them. Give me a call and we can arrange a time to bring the car and the spares over and play swopsies.

Regards

KeithM

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Keith - i really don't want to put you to any trouble mate - you don't exactly live that close......

So - doesn't anyone else have Goodyear GSD3's on their car - if so - any noise issues?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Thanks Keith - i really don't want to put you to any trouble mate - you don't exactly live that close......

So - doesn't anyone else have Goodyear GSD3's on their car - if so - any noise issues?
Foxy,

I have 17" Exis wrapped in F1 GSD3 and I do sometime get these moments
of 'droning' noises. Initially, I thought it was the wheel
bearings or summit but turns out to be the type of road surfaces.
There's a particular section of my local A road that makes the most
noise (especially in the morning when the tyres are cold) Not
really sure if this is the same-ish level of problem like yours.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've just emailed Goodyear UK..........

"I wonder if you can help.

I've been singing the praises for your wonderful GSD3's on my VW Golf enthusiast's forum (UK-MKV's.net) since I first tried them on my previous car - a Mk4 Golf GT TDi.

Doing a fair lot of annual miles I was intested in a tyre with good wet and dry performance but also good comfort and excellent longevity.

The GSD3 seemed to fit the bill.

I fitted these on my brand new Mk5 Golf, some 13 months ago, this time in 225/40/18 spec, onto VW Votex 18" alloy wheels.

All seemed very well indeed until some 15'000 miles into the rear tyre's life, when a strange noise began.

To me it sounded like a feint wheel bearing failure kind of sound.....not continuous, but seemingly alternating in pitch once every wheel rotation.

I took the car to my dealer who examined it and could find no apparent mechanical fault, but did conclude it was the tyres.......this I could not believe.

I had the wheels changed a little while later at around 20'000 miles, and the two rear tyres swapped over (side to side, maintianing directionality). The noise was still there!

The noise has never gone away and not the tyres are around 60% worn at 26'000 miles, the noise is almost impossible to bear.

I have had both rear wheels removed and balanced again (they were out a bit), and checked for shape - all seems OK.

I guess I could try and get some loan wheels/tyres and see if it really is a tyre, but that's not too easy to sort.

Realising how tricky these things are to judge at a distance - I still would be grateful for your opinion and any possible "history" or un-tyre-like noises emanating from your products."

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm running 225/40/18 GSD3's on my mkIV.

Ocassionally on certain road surfaces I get a droning noise, but it's not easy to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from (suggesting it's from all four tyres not just the rear). Also it is a constant noise, not changing in pitch at all within the rotation of the wheel. And it is very obviously due to the road suface.

If it is just coming from the rear why don't you swap front to rear?

If the noise is still there it probably wont tell you anything, but if it disappears then you'll know it's the rear tyres (assuming they are worn a different amount to the fronts).

·
Registered
104 Posts
No big deal Jon, the offer stands if you end up needing it.

KeithM

(Remember full leather interior, Eibach ARB's, Group buy for BBS's, Group buy for Front and Rear Caractere kit. You have more or less refurbed a complete car for me!!!)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last night I got so darn fed up with this noise that I decided to brave the chilly night air and get the car up on my trolley jack.

I removed the wheel from the rear nearside - the corner from which I perceived the noise to be emanating.......

Immediately I noticed the almost bizarre wear pattern on the inner "shouder" (the farthest edge of the main tread).

It was like the tyre was turning into a hexagon shape - lots of what looked like "flat" spots on the shoulder tread ..... yes - really!

On the GSD3 treads, the shoulders are fairly "solid" with no tread blocks, just angled grooves of part depth - nothing as deep as the main tread.

At about every 5th one of these "grooves" the tread is not that worn - but all the areas between are worn much more significantly.....as if someone got the tyre and did lots of handbrake stops with it - but only wearing the shoulder.

It's this unusual wear that's causing the noise.

I appreciate that the car is pushing slightly more positive camber than stock due to the -30mm drop (stock is ~ -15mm), however, the offside rear wheel has worn the tyre as you'd expect - very evenly over 85% of the tread width, but a little more wear on the inner shoulder - due to the camber I guess.

I could not hear any unusual noise from the rear wheel bearing when I had it jacked up and rotated by hand - granted that was unloaded (off the ground).

There was one very strange thing - the bottom half of the rear nearside shock absorber was coated in thick crud - of indeterminate origin......unlike the offside rear shocker which was minty clean.
My suspicions have been drawn to the possibility that the shocker is fubarred - leaking oil down from the seal, thus attracting crud.

I emailed the pics of the shocker to my VW dealer's tech, and the pics of the tyre to the tech contact i've been talking with at Goodyear UK.

My VW guy wants to see the car asap - so it's going in tomorrow for a cursory examination.

I've heard nothing more from Goodyear as yet.

Cue the pics..................
\/

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Certainly looks like a knackered shock and its took the tyre with it, the question is - will VW refuse to replace the shock under warranty because of the lowering springs ?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Have you asked someone to follow you when you drive along and here the noise?

If the shock's knacked you often can see the wheel pattering along the road. The tyre wear sounds suspicious too.

Was it you that hit that mahoosive pothole a while back.......?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Certainly looks like a knackered shock and its took the tyre with it, the question is - will VW refuse to replace the shock under warranty because of the lowering springs ?
The tech knows about the springs - they are Eibachs after all, same as OEM part manufacturer.........I can't be sure yet though!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you asked someone to follow you when you drive along and here the noise?

If the shock's knacked you often can see the wheel pattering along the road. The tyre wear sounds suspicious too.

Was it you that hit that mahoosive pothole a while back.......?
Si - i haven't asked anyone to follow me - no mate.......i agree - knack'd shocks can occur early in a car's life.

I did hit a pothole but it was the opposite side.

This noise has been ongoing since March time......that was when I had different wheels on the car in fact.

I changed the springs in late January.

The goodyear tech phoned me this morning as said that it's very likely to be a mechanicall issue that's caused the wear pattern - even if something was changed and the issue corrected: once a wear pattern starts on a tyre, it can just keep wearing that way.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car was in at dealer this afternoon.

The tech looked at the problem (a different guy this time) - and as i was explaining the problem - he was one step ahead of me all the way.....at last - someone who understands!

He said the only things that cause this kind of wear are overloading or worn shockers.

After examining the car he indeed confirmed the shock was fubarred......however........

.........the news was not all good....

I had laid my cards on the table - told them about the 30mm lower road springs and now they have to wait for top tech to return on Monday before they can say if it's warrantable.

I'm kind of calm about it on one hand but f**king fuming on the other........i mean - 30mm lower eibach springs - surely that aint the cause - otherwise why aren't the other three fubarred too?? (i know the answer by the way)

I know the top tech pretty well and I can't see him being arsey about this - however - I also want contribution towards the tyre - after all, it would have had 10k left in it had this not occurred.

Tell me - am I right in saying that after a court case recently, setting a precedent (IIRC), VW would have to "prove" that the lowered springs had caused the shock to fail prematurely??

So - I could take them to court, if I had to, should they not cough?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi........Not Had Time To Read Thro' All The Posts......But I May Be Able to Help.....

i too had goodyear on my old car (NCT5) and I too got a drooning noise from the rear end...it's to triead on the inner face twisting.

if you run you hand over the furace of the tyre in one direction it's smooth,but in the other it's feels like steps...it's these steps hitting the road.....

move the rears to the front,front to the rears and the noise seens to come from the front now....the only way of getting rid of the noise is to buy new tyres and send the others back to goodyear for inspection....if they are found to be faulty they will compensate you but pro rata with thread waer left on the tyre

martin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts