Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice-my dads got the 2.0T FSI S line and thats absolutely gorgeous-got a REVO remap which should have the power at a similar figure I'd imagine-its a bit gutless once thats been taken out tho!!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealers have the car a week or so as a showroom model and I decided to go for that one as minus Bose and heated seats it was the spec I was looking for and it had the sat nav too.

Usual extras, climate, xenons etc plus aluminium trim, sat nav, sprint blue, light pack, winter pack, two colour leather, auto lights/rain.

Delighted with it, they only expect to sell 30 in Ireland in 2007.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
What bank are you robbing to cover the depreciation on the car changes?! You say you got a good deal but I'm guessing you lost a fair amount depreciation wise?

Back to the S3 though, what did you think on the test drive compared with the GTI? I'm quite keen but the reviews haven't been too favourable.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I had another test drive for 3 hours last weekend, in addition to the first one I did.

The car is very quick, very well built, and a ace to drive. Compared to my R its on a par performance wise, and its only handling wise on roundabouts and corners that you notice a difference. That being said the S3 is definitely the nicer car to drive, suspension is sporty but not as harsh as the R.

The interior is lovely as well

Only other minor point is the grunt of the engine, its almost too understated, unless you thrash it... but that might be because im use to a big V6 growl....

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't take a big hit on depreciation, I lost ?4,000. It would've been ?2,000 if I'd done a straight deal on my current GTI when I bought it.

Compared to the GTI it has more urgency to go and handling there's no comparison with Quattro from the driving in it that I did.

Winter pack is just heated jets and wing mirrors.. not even heated seats sadly.

The engine did seem a bit quiet on the noise front but like the two GTIs I've had I suspect it will become more deep/resonated with kms!! [:D]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice car Mark, I test drove one on Sunday and felt very responsive and suprisingly light feeling but that maybe that I have just had a 350Z Roadster. I like the Audi feel as well, just out of interest have you been entirely happy with your Gti as I have not been on here for a while?

Steve

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi Steve.. sorry for the delay, been away.

GTI, yeh pretty happy overall. Pretty frustrating in the wet trying to get the power down in 1st and 2nd without the awful wheel hop and sadly due to its success and cheap-ish price, there's just farrrrrrr too many of them on the road here now.

There's 8 S3's in Ireland at the moment, including mine, that figure isn't going to change too much due to the price of them.

GTI looks good, handles well enough, has a fair level of power and sounds great for a 4 pot - all things you already know but I just need to get something unique and with an amount of power not found in most average cars you'll see on the road out of my system. I wanted an M3 for some time and ruled it out, the S3 is not quite M3 material but it's a happy medium for me.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Sat Nav - are you crazy?  Why did you get one with such poor coverage of Ireland?  Good luck on the car, you have had more cars than I have had hot dinners.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts