Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 1.4 last month, and in its place I now have a 3dr Satin Silver 1.8 20V GTi.

Below is a photo of my old 1.4

Posted Image

Luckily the GTi has a few extras that the 1.4 didn't have such as electric sunroof and centre armrest, but I have also taken several mods over from the 1.4 to the GTi, such as...

Black/Grey Recaros

R-Line Carpet Mats

Audi TT Pedals

Bora Dash Vents

Euro Spec Rear Lights

Aero Wipers

PIAA LED Sidelights

PIAA Xenon Main Bulbs

I have already started on some new mods, including full aluminium interior trim, R-Line gear knob, Sharan Rear Badge, DVD headunit, and the R32 Wheels.

Next on my list is the suspension... I would love coilovers but cant afford to pay out that much on suspension, so I am going to go for a decent spring/shock upgrade instead. Has anyone got the Koni RSK kit? I am looking at spending up to ?250 for a kit...any advice for the suspension is appreciated.

Once the car is lowered, that'll be it for now...well maybe i'll keep my eyes open for an R32 Steering wheel. I plan on looking into the anniversary kit next year... i'm hoping to achieve the US 20th Anni look...something different.

The photos are not great, and the car is in need of a good clean, but all comments are welcome.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
277 Posts
Very nice m8

im sure you will have a lot more fun driving the 1.8, (how come you gave the old golf the boot then?)

The full aluminium interior trim, if you dont mind me asking, where from and how much?

nice one can wait to see it progress

adz

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for comments so far

adz, the aluminium trim is all from Shaq. Can't remember exactly how much it all was, just under ?300 i think. I had to buy the centre console cage as well as I only had the black plastic trim previously. The only reason I sold the 1.4 was because I felt like something quicker. The 1.4 looked the part but was underpowered. I went for the 1.8 (125bhp) model as I wanted to keep my insurance premium reasonably low.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No other comments?
Can anyone recommend a good suspension kit for ?250 or less. What about Koni RSK, or also heard about a kit FK do?

·
Registered
639 Posts
You've been busy already! Yeah I think you should go for the US 20th Anni look, would look great. As for suspension on a budget, I reccommend the Pi spring/shock setup aswell as the Bilstein/Ventura set for -35mm. Colour code your rear Sharan badge!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tabs, Drysdale - thanks for your feedback. The sharan badge will be getting colour coded at some point soon! I have considered going smooth again, but I have been there, done that, & I feel I should try something different. I've not came across many mk4's with a US Anni look, so I've started with the wheels, and that idea seems to be my plan for now. However I am also considering options of mixing kits (for example - an R-Line Rear Bumper, R Sideskirts, with a smooth front, and Anni front valence) or (an R-Line front bumper, R sideskirts, and a smooth rear, and Anni Rear valence). Decisions! Other small touches I would like to add include and R32 Steering wheel, and some Anni Headlights. Thats all likely to happen in the new year, as I have spent far too much on the car for now. Before the end of the year I am hoping to sell a few bits and bobs, and upgrade the suspension. Do any users have the FK Highsport Kit, OR Pi spring/shocks OR Bilstein/Ventura as mentioned above by Tabs and Drysdale? I'd appreciate any of your opinions. Im looking for a -35mm - 40mm drop, dont want to go lower than that for now. I have also found a Koni RSK kit for approx ?250 if i can remember correctly, anyone running on this set up? If anyone could provide some prices and suggestions where to buy from that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Graeme

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice car man enjoy it.The new mods looks perfect on it :p,love the wheels for sure.how many?

i do the same i have a 1.4 and go now for a Gti and im very happy with the choice,the car is really diferent with this motor!

[:D]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Cheers dan! Anyone recommend what suspension set up to go for?
Koni coilovers IMO are the daddies but will cost.

Your new ride is looking very nice. Any thoughts about colour coding the valences, would work a treat on that colour.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Im owning this beastie now, wheels are best part of car in my opinion! Graemes just bought a 1.8T Indigo Blue, so im sure he'll post up some pics of that soon. Ill be looking to lower this soon though, was looking at Koni shocks and springs as dont have enough money to spend on coilovers!! Colour coding valences is a good idea, just trying 2 get starter motor and MAF sensor fixed this week!

Cheers for comments,

Andy

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was in need of a car with more performance, and tuning potential. Andy has been considering a Mk4 GTi with low insurance for some time, and he couldnt say no after test driving it a week ago. I had my eye on an Indigo Blue one for the past week, as I think the colour is stunning, albeit hard to keep clean. I am sure Andy will continue making improvemnts to the Silver GTi..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts