Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been driving round for the last two weeks in my new GTI. What a fabulous car, I have been meaning to post since it arrived but all of my spare time has been spent driving! The car is great and having come from an Astra 2.2sri the power is awesome and the drive and build quality even better. Dealer was excellent (Ventura Park - Tamworth(Matt)) and kept me upto date on build progress throughout. It has been well worth the wait. I've just reached 1000 miles so now I can really start to have fun!

·
Registered
779 Posts
 Nice motor mate,Any mods planned for it then,Red and Black are defo the best coloursin the new gti  in my opinion..Everyone to there own though in it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nice looking car, almost the same as mine, except I have a couple of extra doors, 18's and a rattle.
See there it goes again, I'm reading all these positive comments feeling safe in the knowledge I have made a good decision ordering a GTi and a 'fault' is mentioned :(

It might be worth conducting a poll to see how many GTi owners have problems with their cars..

Really couldn't face the sort of minor faults we have had to endure with my wifes company Bora on a car we have paid over ?20K for with our own money, to be fair VW always put the faults right (apart from the rattles that always re-appear) but its the inconvenience and the 'Polo Syndrome'.

But anyway, well done Mate - your car looks excellent & glad you are enjoying it, Red looks excellent...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Think i'm going to arrange another test drive to investigate further,  when I had the car for the day the other week I didnt really listen out or check for faults just gave a good thrashing,  the only thing that was very apparent was the wind noise from the passenger side at 80mph but I had decided to treat this as a 'feature' as suggested on here,   design features i can live with,  poor build quality on a car of this price would be a different matter,  will let you know how I get on..

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Still can't find any noises or rattles other than wheel noise on sh**e surfaces, which is to be expected with 225s.

So don't presume it's *ALL* of them [:)]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Still can't find any noises or rattles other than wheel noise on sh**e surfaces, which is to be expected with 225s.

So don't presume it's *ALL* of them [:)]
Cheers CKB - the voice of reason ! Regarding your wheel noise this could be the tyres, I say this because my A? had dunlop Sports all round ex factory which I have recently changed for Goodyear F1 and the difference in tyre noise is amazing, the F1 are much quieter, not much help I know until you've piled on the miles but hey..

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Haha thanks spin, I am actually considering the F1s, but they will have to wait a while unfortunately - having spent the 23k, I need to give it a few months to find out how much money I (don't) have left any more [;)]

The worst part's gotta be the M25 between about J8-J10, normally the stereo's on too loudly otherwise [:D]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Haha thanks spin, I am actually considering the F1s, but they will have to wait a while unfortunately - having spent the 23k, I need to give it a few months to find out how much money I (don't) have left any more [;)]

The worst part's gotta be the M25 between about J8-J10, normally the stereo's on too loudly otherwise [:D]
CKB, hear what you are saying ref the 23K, part of me will be wishing the tread away when I get the GTi but my bank balance will be begging them to last ! F1's definetly the right choice, fantastic grip even in the wet, look good on the rims & possibly quieter.

I took another GTi out this morning (unaccompanied) as my dealership have a new demo (74 miles on the clock), there was some wind noise at 80mph plus but nothing too intrusive, it was also on 18" so it was good to check out the ride, I was more than happy with that also, in fact I would say it was superior to that of my A3. I did discover one small rattle that seemed to come from the passenger window but was very apparent so would assume it would be easy to locate. All in all I was very impressed and loved the new look black 2006 dash & wheel. I have every confidence in the car now and the dealership so roll on October, they have agreed to let me take the car out on a weekly basis if I wish - it was termed my 'GTi fix' to make my wait easier, there is a lot to be said for small family run dealerships :)

The GTi really is a special car due to its all round abilities, it may not be an Audi inside but the package as a whole equals one big smile, a definite thumbs up IMO....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not far from there! Yes, you may have seen me around. I have seen a couple of GTIs in the area recently. I have seen 2 at Shell petrol stations filling up with optimax, both were steel grey. Haven't seen yours around the area though, I shall keep my eyes peeled!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not far from there! Yes, you may have seen me around. I have seen a couple of GTIs in the area recently. I have seen 2 at Shell petrol stations filling up with optimax, both were steel grey. Haven't seen yours around the area though, I shall keep my eyes peeled!
Hey cool, one of those must have been me! I do remember a red GTI being behind me last time I filled up at the Shell on the Chester Road so it must have been you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes it was the chester road station in streetly. I wonder how many GTIs there must be in sutton coldfield. I have spotted 5 so far. Great car, hope you are enjoying yours. I am visiting the shell garages far too often thou considering I only drive 5 miles to work! I've covered 1500 miles since I got the car on 4th July.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Done 1500miles in mine now and I am over the moon with it. The 18" alloys are definitely more noisy than the 17" but they look the dogs, so I am happy to put up with a bit of road noise. Hopefully a change of tyre type will help in the future. Regarding petrol, been using BP Ultimate since I got mine, but changed to Shell Optimax a coupel of days ago, and bloodyhell!!! What a difference! The car feels so much more responsive.

Off to Donnington tomorrow for GTI Trackshow, so say hello if you are near the CGTI Worcs display.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts