Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked my Cooper S up today.. brilliant! [:D]

Am right pleased with him! The handling is nothing short of amazing.. its like a limpet on rails, and even with the running-in period limitations, its pretty quick!

Seats are ace, interior feels great and its got stacks of gadgets and loads of brilliant touches that I wasn't aware of. Looks like they consulted Foxy on the interior lighting. Illuminated footwells and door handles [:D] All with familiar VW style fading.. feel right at home.

I made sure it had everything I had on my GTI. Even the climate control seems very familiar (can hear it 'sniffing' just like Mk4's Climatronic ;)

Only seen the traction light come on once hehe [;)] Can really feel the Limited slip diff pulling it round the bends making you want to push harder! Brakes are solid, steering is go-kart!! A very clever little car.

Aside from that, just a great feeling to have a brand new '05 plate on March 1st! Only saw 3 other 05's today. Another Mini Cooper S, clearly being tested out on the same twisties I was testing, hehe, nice! And a couple of stunning looking Mk5 GTIs, one black, one red. Owners of those GTIs looked proud as punch and rightly so!! Gave em a flash and a wave and got a thumbs up back [:D]

Maybe there was other 05's on the road, but I guess I only really look out for VW group cars and MINIs!

Here's mine, Hyper Blue.. VERY blue...

So pleased I picked these wheels!! Found out that all CooperS with Chili pack get em as standard now, but when I ordered mine they weren't. Lucky I read Mini2 as dealer didn't know anything about the wheel change til I mentioned it.. always the same, we know more than the dealers.. sigh.. anyway aside from that, dealer does seem like a really decent outfit. As a 'freebie' they applied that clever wax stuff that means I can clean it with just water!! (usually ?250 option) and left a small holdall in the boot with a full valet kit in it [:D] Lol.. I've already washed it [:I]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
366 Posts
Very nice, I really like the MCS, my GF has one and I have to say for the money they are great little cars.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm well impressed. It really does feel like a BMW packaged into a cute looking thing! Just can't get my head around the way it handles.. its an insane car! And there's a big luxury feel about it.

It almost begs you to try and push it harder and harder!! I'm still a bit too scared though!!

Its a bit of an alien world to me, its got loads of feedback..

Went out this eve with my mate in the car. We took it to some of his favourite twisties, so he was navigating! Well.. I was amazed we were getting out of the corners at that pace. The LSD really pulls the car around them, you can feel it kick in and take you around. This prevents the traction control kicking in! [:D] Not as harsh as the Focus RS's diff btw, this one's very gentle!

Steering also is very sharp lock to lock. Its a little beast!! Engine sounds amazing! [:D]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Cracking little car mate, love that colour and the steering wheel (finally three spokes)!

I much prefer this revamp version now, those new wheels are better suited and the bumper styling is improved (less fussy). I've sat in one but haven't sampled it on the roads. Very impressed with the front interior space but the rear and boot space is shocking but its a Mini I could live it though.

Happy cornering!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Very nice car. I think they are ace and love the way my girl friends Mini One handles. And there will just enough space in the back for your hairdressing gear!

[/Runs away to avoid all kinds of abuse[:D]]

Joking! Enjoy....

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Would you like a little black storage bin thingy that sits inbetween the silver legs of the centre colsoe in front of the drinks holders? Usefull for putting your wallet/mobile

Let us know as I have one that I had fitted in my MCS but kept when it went.

J.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote: posted by marriedblonde on 02/03/2005 15:41:56

Would you like a little black storage bin thingy that sits inbetween the silver legs of the centre colsoe in front of the drinks holders? Usefull for putting your wallet/mobile

For his GHD you mean. [;)]

[sniggering down the back/].

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by djhorace on 02/03/2005 14:05:21

Will you go down the John Cooper Works route eventually??

Oh would be very nice [:D] I'll have to start saving again hehe!

Its pretty quick as it is, but more is always better! I didn't actually think it would be as quick as it is.. but its ace! JCW version must be the dogs favourite bits [:D]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by Irish on 02/03/2005 04:24:11

I'll give you a few months and you'll have a MKV GTI!!!!!!!!!

Nope! Blue Cooper S with fizzy exhaust for me.. [:D] POP-POP-POP..

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by djhorace on 02/03/2005 09:44:35

Very nice car. I think they are ace and love the way my girl friends Mini One handles. And there will just enough space in the back for your hairdressing gear!

[/Runs away to avoid all kinds of abuse[:D]]

Joking! Enjoy....

LOL! No, Cooper-S is for hairgelled proper slimey estate agents with sunbed suntans [:D][:D]

Still trying to come to terms with the handling. I've tried and what I've figured is, I get scared a long time before the car does, its chassis is incredible, and the limited slip diff really helps! [:D] Its really difficult to get the traction light to come on, really gotta provoke it!!

Great fun to chuck about and the steering is amazingly direct with plenty feedback. Supercharger sound/exhaust note is too addictive, sounds amazing! And the engine, even with just 160 miles on it (and a run-in period booo) is a peach!

Main problem is, it stands out a mile! No way I'll be able to pull random sickies at work (Not an estate agent ;) now and drive the car... [:(]

I cut some bloke from work up yesterday on the way to work, an accident I may add, but I realised he'd know exactly who I was...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you never have, just take one for a test drive and you'll be amazed. Its got 2 sides to it!

On one hand, its totally refined, cute to look at, really easy to drive, spec you can get is incredible (mine's bloody great!) and feels like a Beemer. Seats are great, front seat space is fab and it really is soooo benign...

Stick your foot down and all hell breaks loose. It sounds like a Mescherschmit, it drives like a proper sports car. The chassis really is amazing. Most balanced car I've ever driven, and if that aint enough, there's a bank of computers to help you LOL, unless you turn em off [:D]

Gotta say, you have to really torture the car before the computers take over, only seen the TCS light a very few times and I was either doing something stupid or trying to pull away on gravel.

And then.. the first time you feel the limited slip diff (was gonna abbreviate to LSD, but.. hehe) kick in and just pull you round a bend.. you just know it all makes sense!!

It seems to have been built to look cute and drive amazingly in equal measures. Thank heavens BMW stole it off Rover and made it what it is!

PS.. back seats and boot are hillarious! [:D]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts