Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background first: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

The MK5 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>GTI</st1:stockticker> has been a must have for me since I first saw spy shots of the production car near 2 years ago or so now. Since then I set an objective - that objective was to save <o:p></o:p>

for my very own <st1:stockticker>GTI</st1:stockticker>. Over that period I have been saving like a Trojan and on <st1:date Month="3" Day="27" Year="2006">March the 27th 2006</st1:date> I finally had enough to order the car! Luckily for me the car was a MY2007 built on the 22 week of production cycle, so one of the first cars for MY2007!<o:p></o:p>

This <st1:stockticker>GTI</st1:stockticker> is my 3rd golf and 4th VW. I am 25 years of age.<o:p></o:p>

Euroimports<o:p></o:p>

After considerable research, mostly on tyresmoke and to some extent this one too I ordered the car on that day with Euroimports.<o:p></o:p>

Why an import? Well the biggest advantage was price, over 20k was not possible for me, so buying an import made me able to make the car attainable! Secondly I have had some very nasty experiences with VW dealers and the thought of handing money over to them did not fill me joy!

Euroimports are professionals at importing GTIs that?s all I can say, they gave me the confidence by explaining every little detail to me in the first instance and helped me every step of the way. Both of them were very helpful at all times and I knew if I called that number someone would be there at the end of the line and able to speak to me, something these days is not all that common. They did everything for me, the only hard bit was waiting and paying for it but I knew they were things to expect. I would like to say in public my thank for their service they provided, not only is the car a beast and quite frankly stunning the purchase was made so easy through both their efforts.<o:p></o:p>

Arrival<o:p></o:p>

The car finally arrived on <st1:date Month="7" Day="1" Year="2006">July the 1st 2006</st1:date> at <st1:time Minute="15" Hour="15">3:15pm</st1:time>, 45 mins before the <st1:country-region><st1:place>England</st1:place></st1:country-region> game - if I was not feeling excited before I was now!<o:p></o:p>

Euroimports delivery guy was a very decent chap that took great care with the car when unloading and talking me around it. All I had to do was sign and make the electronic payment - simple!<o:p></o:p>

I noticed that the bottle opener was not there, I called euroimports and they sent me one straight away and was with me on the Monday (they have several spare as dealers still seem to be pinching them)! Low and behold the <st1:stockticker>GTI</st1:stockticker> manual was in English with service book and leather bound, car settings all <st1:country-region><st1:place>UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Everything single thing is <st1:country-region><st1:place>UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> spec and the only way you can tell is that the servicebook PDI stamp is by a Danish VW dealer!<o:p></o:p>

The car looked stunning, even though it had been on a ferry from <st1:country-region><st1:place>Denmark</st1:place></st1:country-region>, just a little dusty and that was it.<o:p></o:p>

Pictorial

Dog waiting for the car!<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>
Posted Image
</o:p>

Me waiting for the car! <o:p></o:p>

Posted Image

<st1:time Minute="15" Hour="3">3:15</st1:time> arrival?<o:p></o:p>

Posted Image

First drive up the hill?<o:p></o:p>

Posted Image

5 miles?.<o:p></o:p>

Posted Image

Car was thirsty after its ferry trip?<o:p></o:p>

Posted Image

Pics from today:<o:p></o:p>

Posted Image

Posted Image

<o:p></o:p>

Posted Image

Posted Image

For people needing MY2007 interior pics?<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/oxfordlads/MK5%20GTI/interior2.jpg</o:p>

<o:p>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/oxfordlads/MK5%20GTI/interior1.jpg</o:p>

<st1:stockticker>GTI</st1:stockticker> thoughts<o:p></o:p>

I think this needs a separate thread, however WHAT A CAR!!!<o:p></o:p>

Its all I dreamed it would be and more, as some of you know my car was a lower spec that some but I still ordered what I think were essentials (arm rest, cruise, highline computer and ipod prep). So that?s no 18"s etc etc. To be honest I am happy with it is at the moment, love the manual transmission but most of all I love the poise of the car, its handling and that big ole turbo. I can't honestly see me wanting any other car for a long time. It suits my needs 100% and it looks magic to boot! I am still getting to know it and taking it easy and breaking the engine in, but it is clear that it has a lot to offer. I am honestly stunned by how good this car is, it is easy to see how this car got so many reviews by just about every critic! Gives me a real buzz whenever I sit in it, yet is is 100% comfortable at all times. If this is what a <st1:stockticker>GTI</st1:stockticker> is supposed to be like (my Mk4 <st1:stockticker>GTI</st1:stockticker> feels crap in comparison) I will continuing buying them for a long time to come.<o:p></o:p>

This little story draws to an end now, so far the car has been washed 3 times, diamond brit?ed and waxed twice. I am off to drive it now!<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glad your happy with it oxford , i cant bloody wait till september when mine arrives!
oxford just a quick question for you. hows the ipod prep and does the new my07 headunit have a better interface with it?

cheers
block

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

No plans for re-map just yet, the power is more than enough at the moment. However as the car is an import it has only 2 years warrenty so I expect I will do it at that point!

Ipod prep, same as before I think mate - if I am honest I got the kit from ebay (genuine VW) and fitted it myself, - works great! no track names mind you...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No point blanking out the first 2 letters of your plate mate when its still on the pic of the car on the loader [;)]

Well done on saving up and getting it tho.

Takes some doing that so nice one.

Now you can start enjoying it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Beautiful car mate! White with the tartan for the ultimate retro style...

Plus I gotta say, nice choice of shades [H] Clearly a man of style and taste.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You would say that Mr Wheelnuts, as a prime wearer of them [h]

Oxford, glad after all this time it's finally come through for you and you're over the moon. We've been telling you it'll be good on here for a while (sorry if it was annoying lol!) and you seem to have found it [:)]

Will take you many months I suspect to really get 110% out of it... I'm contemplating the chip now after just over a year, and even so it won't be for at least another 6 months (I don't care what the rest of you lot that I know say, bog off lol!)

Keep us informed on what you think as you go along dude...

C

PS - oh I think the 18s are essential btw... But then that's just me [;)]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chungster - oopps, well spotted!

cmdfire - Rayban aviators FTW! can't beat them. Only other glasses I wear are mil spec M-frames for airsoft, MTB and other sports!

CkB - It keeps coming back that even after a year of ownership you guys are still loving these cars, which is really fantastic. Last thing I would want is to get bored! will update you on progress. 18"s are nice and I am sure when I get some spare cash and my tyres need replacing I will buy some. Been offered a set for 700 without tyres already ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
You would say that Mr Wheelnuts, as a prime wearer of them [h]
You got me there [;)]
Got the spare off and wheel reattached, which is good... means I can go above 60km/h

cmdfire - Rayban aviators FTW! can't beat them. Only other glasses I wear are mil spec M-frames for airsoft, MTB and other sports!
You're into airsoft? That's awesome... it's possible that we've had a chat about this before (I know I did with someone via PM), so apologies if it was you I spoke with... I haven't been for awhile, though I mean to soon enough. What field do you play at?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, been doing it for about 4 years plus now, mostly concentrate on modern day impressions now though - got far too much expensive kit now its stupid!

Yogi on here also plays, I met him from here a few years back and he just joined my company which is pretty funny.

Urban assault, free fire zone, Town Assault - those sorts of places mostly at the moment....

Here are a few pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yep, been doing it for about 4 years plus now, mostly concentrate on modern day impressions now though - got far too much expensive kit now its stupid!

Yogi on here also plays, I met him from here a few years back and he just joined my company which is pretty funny.

Urban assault, free fire zone, Town Assault - those sorts of places mostly at the moment....

Here are a few pics:
Awesome stuff man... some of them look a bit familiar, do you post on MP.net?
As well as the Vietnam kit I've got the full modern USMC outfit...
Posted Image

Got the woodland MARPAT too.

Been awhile since I've played though I think I'll head on to one of the AWA sites next weekend in Vietnam kit.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pic no worky :(

USMC, cool, I have the desert Marpat too, good stuff.

You going to copehill in August - should be a great event

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steady on :)

Euroimports never even saw the car, it was delivered fresh from the ferry by their deliveryman. And with respect to the fuel, its not sensible to have a fully fueld car on the ferry.

I am 110% happy with their service.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Really, when I take my car on a ferry it usually has quite a lot of fuel in it. When I ran a car import business we used to stop at the filling station next to the port and put at least half a tank in to avoid insulting our customers who were paying for such an expensive car (that could not be driven any distance).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Great write up Oxford, glad your liking the GTi, I know what you mean about it being everything you need, and for the money you saved, I'd put up with a bit of dust and next to no fuel.

Come to think of it, I had next to no fuel in mine, and that was main dealer.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Come to think of it, I had next to no fuel in mine, and that was main dealer.
Yes - they are all at it - meanies!
The cheeky sod's who sold me mine, gave be a voucher for ?12 to use at a filling station opposited them, so I even had to put it in myself, but you know what it's like when you get a new toy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
good buy there, i am looing at buying from euro imports too, good prices and they get a good right up from prev buyers.

just need the cash now[:(]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts