Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Absolutely stunning - I love it [:)]

Wonder what it would look like if the bottom half of the rear valance was left black ?

EDIT: like this (crap photoshop I know) lol

Posted Image
I personally think that it looks quite good. but you would need to have
some nice chrome tips on each side just to finish it off [:D]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Very well done Steve.  However, I'd venture to suggest that it makes the car look a bit "fatter" and heavier which may be one reason why VW didn't do it in the first place.  I particularly like Sem's suggested treatment for the rear valance as an alternative way to go.

·
Registered
440 Posts
VW took a lot of criticism when the mkiv GTI came out saying it just
looked like any other Golf so this time they gave it its own identify
with the black front grill, black side skirts which matched in
with the rear valence. Now that people are colour coding them I
think they are removing that identity and just making the car look like
any other golf.

Don't get me wrong Steve I think your car looks superb, I just think it
has lost a bit of the GTI sporty look that VW intended.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Picked up my Mk5 GTI at the weekend after being fully colour coded [:D] ? i.e. rear valance, side skirts and front valance. And spent most of Sunday Swissoling her! So what do you think? Personally I?m really happy with it. Even my wife begrudgingly admits that it doesn't look too bad - and that's saying something believe me! I just don?t know why VW don?t turn them out of the factory like this in the first place! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Steve<o:p></o:p>
Looks fantastic mate! That's me sold on doing it - already told the dealer that upon delivery I want the rear, skirts and front colour coded in Tornado Red. Thanks for posting the pictures - much appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Where can I get it done - my Mkv GTI is still on order[:'(] - will the VW dealership do it???

Help!
Your dealer will do it. Mine had no problem at all about it. That was Abridge VW. It'll just delay you getting the car by a week or so - which doesn't matter too much when you have to wait 20 weeks to get it!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Very nice - finishes it off nicely!

Otto - see below for costs [:D]

Thanks for all your comments guys. FYI it cost me 400 quid to get done (and it took 4 days) which was a lot of dosh but it just had to be done. I think most of the effort & money was on the smoothing textured finish of the plastic prior to painting. I really didn't like the black plastic and it was a right pain to clean & keep clean!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
VW took a lot of criticism when the mkiv GTI came out saying it just looked like any other Golf so this time they gave it its own identify with the black front grill, black side skirts which matched in with the rear valence. Now that people are colour coding them I think they are removing that identity and just making the car look like any other golf.

Don't get me wrong Steve I think your car looks superb, I just think it has lost a bit of the GTI sporty look that VW intended.
Although I think your car looks stunning, I do agree with a bit of what is being said here. VW were trying to recreate the early, sportier image they had with the MK1 and 2, which involved some red detailing and black plastic.

However, I dont agree that you have detracted your car away from that image, it just looks a more finished article. If I am correct, only the GTI has that grille, so the GTI moniker is still alive and well in your car, I only wish they had adopted the same principle with the MK4 and made it a REAL GTI.

I love the look mate, I always thought the plastic rear end was a bit much !!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Definitely looks good on this one - not sure the blacks need it
though... Although it'd probably make cleaning a little easier [;)]

Still not convinced so won't be doing mine... At least not for the forseeable future!

C

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.