Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Bent valves

I would have loved to replace the pistons but the rings weren’t delivered in the kit I bought off fleabay I’ve got the pistons though but my sister wants the car off her drive this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well today has started on a positive note, starting to install the valves

Cleaned the bottom end and pistons as much as I could

Totally forgot they this is back breaking work

Just got an exhaust stud to remove and find a bolt to replace it and start coupling it back

Check back later for further updates

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
it deffo is back breaking work when you do all of that without it sitting at waist height... I would deffo do the head on a table or something at that heiht which just means less bending over, saving your back the constant strain...

that said the pistons actually look fineon the pictures so i would do the same clean them up and send it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, sorry for not updating

I’ve got the car started, cleared the faults with my Carly app, but the car still says engine fault.

Carly is not reporting anything. It’s running rough and idling constantly at 1000 rpm

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Does it rev up as normal? If it doesn't rev at all, then is the throttle body plugged in? Not trying to insult your work, it's an easily missed plug.

Other thoughts that come to mind is that timing could be out, that'd cause rough running, but I'm sure that'd still let it idle a bit lower.

I'd do a compression test and check the timing again if it were my car. I'd also leave the battery disconnected for a while to see if that gets the car communicating with Carly again, there's got to be a code stored if it's indicating an engine fault.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Does it rev up as normal? If it doesn't rev at all, then is the throttle body plugged in? Not trying to insult your work, it's an easily missed plug.

Other thoughts that come to mind is that timing could be out, that'd cause rough running, but I'm sure that'd still let it idle a bit lower.

I'd do a compression test and check the timing again if it were my car. I'd also leave the battery disconnected for a while to see if that gets the car communicating with Carly again, there's got to be a code stored if it's indicating an engine fault.
I sweat to you that I have a feeling that it might be unplugged 🫣, I say that because after reading about the EPC, I went to have a visual check and found that I hadn’t tightened the throttle body pipe , so something else would be loose or unconnected.

With regards the timing, I quadruple checked it, spinning the engine by hand 4 times each and putting the cam holder in and it slipped in each time, also marked the crank bolt with tipex and everything lined up each time

I was really tired, 4 days straight battling to get the bloody car finished. So it’s plausible I missed something, I’m hoping to get it checked either today or tomorrow, need sleep though 🥱

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Oh didn’t tell you the funniest part, so put the head back, tightened everything torqued and was really pleased with myself.

Then put the water pump back then noticed that the plug for the pump was under the intake manifold , after cursing and crying and stomping my feet, gave up on Sunday and came back on monday and had to undo all the work I had done, taking the throttle body and all other bits off and loosen the manifold and managed to squeeze the plug out.

Yeah, it’s been eventful

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I told you it was something simple... so it is running properly now? Remind me what day it is... yeah that's right: may the forth be with you
Yeah dude the Force is with me

Shes running sweet as duck, needs a good wash, clean and polish, pains s bit flaky but that’s expected of a car this old.

Got a few rust spots here and there, near side wing will need replacing.

Shocking how quick the car is though fit a 1.4l engine.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts