Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
oww yeah i know the good feeling that gives... but i rather run around in an old car... cheap to buy and run.. i modify everything so it'll be a waste of money otherwise... But i used to buy cars that where max 3 owners cars... but when i started modifying cars i decided against it as i'd spend the same amount of money doing the same to a more expensive car and not adding any value because it's modified but when it's an older car you actually add value.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
oww and about you wondering they probably didn't torque it up or forrgot to use a tread-locking compound FYI i'd use that regardless of the need for it or not especially since you've found them loose. I just hope for your sake its just bend valves and decent enough pistons that just need a quick polish but in most cases once they are pushed together it's the end of the line for most of those parts and they'll need replacing.

and if i was in your shoes i would literally call the dealer that actually did the timing belt and ask them to give you a proper discount on the oem parts because they F-up royally replacing the timing parts.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
You might get away with it, but to be honest I would replace them as you don't want to have to do it again because they aren't up to scratch. The valves though will need replacing as I am sure the stems are bend.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
it deffo is back breaking work when you do all of that without it sitting at waist height... I would deffo do the head on a table or something at that heiht which just means less bending over, saving your back the constant strain...

that said the pistons actually look fineon the pictures so i would do the same clean them up and send it.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
Don't worry it happens to the best of us, just be glad it wasn't timing related as you might have to buy new parts again.
but i am sure you just missed something simple.. you'll find it.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
Not too hard but you'll need the ecu, clocks and keys as well.as the engine... you could.also take the door locks if you want. Than it is remove the old in with the new...

But it is way easier to have a complete donor car so you can take what you need as you are swapping the lot over...

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
this one on ebay actually considers offers might just be what you want... and the sellers telephone number is right there in the listing.. id say get it... its got every single part you need and you could even decide to sell yours and keep that one its not to bad by the looks of it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts